Banking Authorisation Code Nightmare

As I have already posted on another thread I am currently dealing with a raft of very significant problems with my health.

I am not broke but currently have no income.  

I have cash reserves in two bank in Australia.

One of them is the Commonwealth and the other a regional former credit union turned bank.

Both require sms authorisation to add a payee or push a transaction.

My mobile number here has not changed and has been registered with these banks for years.

In the past I could just log on initiate the transaction receive the message to my phone and be done.

I have not needed to do any transactions on these accounts for some time as I had cash in the bank this end.  That has now run out.

I have been trying now for 3 full weeks to get this problem resolved.

I have tried:

1. Calling my provider TRUE 6 times they offer to investigate and then call back one or 2 days later claiming problem not at this end.

2. Spent endless hours on the phone with my banks and they emphatically deny problem is at their end.

3. Reset my phone, updated messaging app, cleared cache and data.

4. Tried my sim in another phone

5. Went into the center of town and logged into bank website and tried to receive code.  Did not arrive

Please also note:

1. I contacted people in Australia via whatsapp and got them to message me.  SMS arrived in split second

2. I messaged myself via skype message arrived in split second

3. Authorisation codes from my Wise account arrive in split second

4. Authorisation codes from my Thaibanks arrive in split second

5. Authorisation code for my Thai visa card arrive in split second.

6. I receive all calls to my phone with good reception.

Dealing with the Commonwealth bank is an absolute nightmare.  The call wait times are obscene.  Even calling at 11pm last night here (3am sydney time) there was a 65 MINUTE wait time. Also when you get put through or transferred often the phone system drops out and its back to the end of the wait cue at least a couple of hours wasted.  

Last night I requested the Commonwealth bank send me a token to use to generate the code instead of receiving SMS.  They are posting it too me with estimated delivery time of 45 DAYS!!!!

Changing my sim card is easy as you know but registering the new number with all of my banking and other institutions is a task that will take weeks.

At this stage I am near to breakdown.  True has stated not their problem and will not investigate further.  Banks have stated the same. Problem not their end and will not investigate further.  I have lodged formal complaint with both banks which will take 2-4 weeks to process.

I have done everything possible to diagnose and resolve this problem but am now entirely exhausted.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I had an Aussie mate with a similar problem with Commonwealth and he was unable to resolve it.  He ended up changing the phone number registered with the bank to his son's Aussie number and liaised with him when he did the transfer to sms him the the code to authorise the transaction on the app within the time limit.

From what he told me it was a bit of a nightmare to get the phone number changed.  Ironically they wanted him to authorise the change with a code that he could not receive - a bit of a circular problem.  But eventually he got a sympathetic ear at the bank and they did some kind of "one off" change.

Anyway, the son got the code and sms'd him - all went well.

I'd ask him for clarification but unfortunately he passed away a few months ago.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Last night I requested the Commonwealth bank send me a token to use to generate the code instead of receiving SMS.  They are posting it too me with estimated delivery time of 45 DAYS!!!!

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

Wait for the token that your bank has sent to you, then the problem is sorted.  The "45 days" is probably an extreme to protect them from delays out of their control, letter post from anywhere to Thailand does not take 45 days.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

I had the same problem but with westpac. It was true that was stopping the sms messages. I temporarily registered a dtac number, received a sms and transfered funds. I then orderd a token that was sent by DHL. recived in about 3 days. It took me many phone calls to both Westpac and true but i eventually  changed to dtac and the problem lies with true, they are aware of this problem as the help line told me it's a reoccurring problem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterodo said:

I had the same problem but with westpac. It was true that was stopping the sms messages. I temporarily registered a dtac number, received a sms and transfered funds. I then orderd a token that was sent by DHL. recived in about 3 days. It took me many phone calls to both Westpac and true but i eventually  changed to dtac and the problem lies with true, they are aware of this problem as the help line told me it's a reoccurring problem. 

Thanks for posting this information.

I have spoken with True on several occasions and the first guy admitted that other Australian expats had complained of the same problem.  However after waiting several days for a call back the next guy to ring me back doubled down and said absolutely the problem not at their end.  I have since called another three times and awaited a call back. Same result each time said tech team have checked everything and not their fault.

Porting a number here were I live here in the will be impossible.  Closest place I could do that would be Phuket and that is hour and half drive from here. 

Did you port your number and how did you do it?  Is it possible to do it just over the phone or must you go to the big True and dtac stores?

If I change my sim there will be at best a week taken from me contacting various institutions here and in other countries to update my number.  I will also have to update paypal which is an absolute disaster.

I should add that I am also not receiving sms from my other banks in Australia as well.

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Wait for the token that your bank has sent to you, then the problem is sorted.  The "45 days" is probably an extreme to protect them from delays out of their control, letter post from anywhere to Thailand does not take 45 days.

Last night bank confirmed not sent via express or dhl.  Just regular post.  I told them I could be dead in 45 days.  Please also note that I am also not receiving the authorisation messages from my other bank as well.  Problem not just isolated to Commonwealth bank.

3 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

I had an Aussie mate with a similar problem with Commonwealth and he was unable to resolve it.  He ended up changing the phone number registered with the bank to his son's Aussie number and liaised with him when he did the transfer to sms him the the code to authorise the transaction on the app within the time limit.

From what he told me it was a bit of a nightmare to get the phone number changed.  Ironically they wanted him to authorise the change with a code that he could not receive - a bit of a circular problem.  But eventually he got a sympathetic ear at the bank and they did some kind of "one off" change.

Anyway, the son got the code and sms'd him - all went well.

I'd ask him for clarification but unfortunately he passed away a few months ago.

This is not a workable solution for me.  I have no family to rely upon for support back in Oz.  I have some friends but they are all very busy with their jobs, mortgages and raising kids.  

Also I do not want to do a one off big transfer because the Aussie dollar has been moving steadily upward against the baht and if one can place any faith in forecasts, is expected to move up another 5 to 15 percent in coming months.

I need a workable solution that will enable me to properly access and manage my transfers on my own terms.

And, I should add, if I don't get this sorted in the next few days I may well end up joining your mat.

Edited by Adumbration

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

Couple of things spring to mind

1- Did you verify that your Bank has the number in +66 format for Thailand? (Which I think could be the main issue)

2- Did you verify that the number (the bank has) is correct?

3- Investigate about changing your number over from True to for example 12Call. AFAIK you should be able to do this and keep the same number

4- Can you change the number to a number of your friends back home just for the time being? (I did that in the beginning after I moved here, it was a bit of a hassle but it worked_

Hope it helps

Good Luck

1. yes of course.  Double checked even tried adding the 0 in front of the mobile number and dropping it.  Nothing works.  Country code definitely correct.

2. Spent two weeks on the phone with the banks.  Hold time for Commonwealth is always greater than 50 minutes even if you ring 2 or 3am their time.  I have wasted hundreds in international call costs.

3. After reading other members posts in this thread I think that this is my only remaining hope.  I am totally unfamiliar with porting a number so if anyone can shed some light on that it would be greatly appreciated. Contacting all of the instituitions to provide my new number will take a week at best.  I will also have to go to local thai banks.

4. Cant use family back home solution.  Don't have any.  Have a few friends but they are all flat out with their own lives to juggle a text message.  In any case don't just need to make a transfer, I need to be able to log in and manage my money, add new payees etc.  all of which required sms message.

I have checked here in the village and most of people here are using AIS.

Can anyone let me know what is the best prepaid sim package to buy from them.

I will try in the small village phone shop tomorrow.

Also can anyone advise me of the AIS numbers to dial for:

1. extending validity of sim card

2. check balance of sim card

3. check number of sim card

These are three number that I have as contact in my phone for my True sim and I use them alot.

So it would be great if I had the AIS equivalents.

Thanks everyone for your help.

6 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

So are you saying that to even to login to your Commonwealth accounts every time requires an sms verification code that you now never receive?

No I don't need sms to login.  But once logged in I require SMS verification to add new payee, change limits, set scheduling etc.

Attempted literally hundred of times over the last two weeks.  Have not received single sms from them.  They call them netcodes.

Edited by Adumbration

Good evening. 

I been with the coomon wealth bsnk since 1992.

Few years ago since amp gsve a much better rate I changed to them. 

Recently I had an issue with receiving sms from threm using DTAC. 

It took thrn few days to investigate and finally I'm now able to receive thrn on my thai number. 

As you mentioned lots of places back home, here in Thailand and in Greece have my thai number so changing the number isn't an option. 

Lastly have u tried download the commonwealth bank app? When I was stranded in Sydney last year I got thrn to set up it that way that any sms codes needed are NOW coming up on the app instead of an sms. 

Hope this helps, 

I un your frustration no matter whenever I call thr commonwealth bank it's always a long and expensive wait

7 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

I have checked here in the village and most of people here are using AIS.

Can anyone let me know what is the best prepaid sim package to buy from them.

I will try in the small village phone shop tomorrow.

Also can anyone advise me of the AIS numbers to dial for:

1. extending validity of sim card

2. check balance of sim card

3. check number of sim card

These are three number that I have as contact in my phone for my True sim and I use them alot.

So it would be great if I had the AIS equivalents.

Thanks everyone for your help.

An AIS  prepay sim provides for your  1,2 ,3 list.

Interestingly a relative of my wife just yesterday cancelled a TRUE contract after a few years of saying was great. Yet to learn why.

2 minutes ago, walailak said:

Good evening. 

It took thrn few days to investigate and finally I'm now able to receive thrn on my thai number. 

As you mentioned lots of places back home, here in Thailand and in Greece have my thai number so changing the number isn't an option. 

Lastly have u tried download the commonwealth bank app? When I was stranded in Sydney last year I got thrn to set up it that way that any sms codes needed are NOW coming up on the app instead of an sms. 

Hope this helps, 

I un your frustration no matter whenever I call thr commonwealth bank it's always a long and expensive wait

Need to receive sms to validate app.  Want to avoid using the app anyway.  They have had serious outages with the app this month and there is a warning notice currently on the commonwealth bank site saying the acknowledge their app has a problem pushing notifications to androids phones.....they are working to resolve the issue.  At this stage I see no advantage in adding yet another layer of technological nonsense to the mix.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, walailak said:

Good evening. 

Hope this helps, 

It is also not just the Commonwealth I am failing to receive sms from my other bank (the Greater) as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

An AIS  prepay sim provides for your  1,2 ,3 list.

Interestingly a relative of my wife just yesterday cancelled a TRUE contract after a few years of saying was great. Yet to learn why.

Great.  What are the actual number to dial?

5 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

No I don't need sms to login.  But once logged in I require SMS verification to add new payee, change limits, set scheduling etc.

Attempted literally hundred of times over the last two weeks.  Have not received single sms from them.  They call them netcodes.

Ok. A friend in OZ is with Commonwealth and he is never happy about them. I am with Westpac and once logged in can do pretty much anything except International transfers. I could if I were able to set it up in person but not from Thailand. I use Wise for that and to be honest I doubt that even minus the transfer charge from them is any less than if I used Westpac direct.

AMP got this tellpin(6 digit pin) that u need to tell thrn every time u have to deal with them on the phone or through the online chat. 

Since 2020 they are paying me a much higher interest rate than the commonwealth. 

Basically my commonwealth bank is 0.01 balance its only the credit card that I kept since its a big credit card limit that I would never get back if I fotrteid it. 

I just tested to update my details and the code was successfully received through the comm app. 

????

2 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

Ok. A friend in OZ is with Commonwealth and he is never happy about them. I am with Westpac and once logged in can do pretty much anything except International transfers. I could if I were able to set it up in person but not from Thailand. I use Wise for that and to be honest I doubt that even minus the transfer charge from them is any less than if I used Westpac direct.

I already have wise account.  Have no problem receiving their sms to log in.  As I noted at the top of this thread I am receiving all sms from banks here and abroad, just not from Australia.

Do you have an ATM card from your banks in Oz?

Unverified, but I read on another thread today that you can take that into your Thai bank and transfer money using that card and its PIN.

Perhaps someone else here can confirm whether or not that is doable.

1 minute ago, walailak said:

AMP got this tellpin(6 digit pin) that u need to tell thrn every time u have to deal with them on the phone or through the online chat. 

Since 2020 they are paying me a much higher interest rate than the commonwealth. 

Basically my commonwealth bank is 0.01 balance its only the credit card that I kept since its a big credit card limit that I would never get back if I fotrteid it. 

I just tested to update my details and the code was successfully received through the comm app. 

????

Thanks.  What sim card do you have?  Android or apple phone?

And do you have a link to your amp investment account so I can read the details.

12 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Do you have an ATM card from your banks in Oz?

Unverified, but I read on another thread today that you can take that into your Thai bank and transfer money using that card and its PIN.

Perhaps someone else here can confirm whether or not that is doable.

Hey no I do not.  If you read my first post (before my depression one) I was relying upon an accountant to check my mail box back in Oz and forward on my mail. He had a nervous breakdown it would seem and stopped responding to my emails.  Just a few weeks ago I learnt online that he had sold his practice (and did not inform me).  Thus my new card has been sitting in my box uncollected.

Just this last week I was able to liase with the manager at the post office in Oz to give access to collect my mail to another third person.  They have since scanned my mail and uploaded it to dropbox.  Upon reading I have found out that the accountant has also failed to lodge my last two tax returns and also dropped the ball with this years.  I have contacted the ATO and it is likely I will be audited. Just what I need at this stage.  My aussie driving licence has also been suspended because they sent a notice saying I had to report for an eye test.  Without a valid licence I can no longer apply online to open a new bank account etc because most require 2 form of ID for 100point score.

These are just a few of the 29 problems I referred to in my depression post.

My mastercard is still with my friend and she will send it over in the next few days.  She has her own life and small business (just launched) so has very limited spare time.

Edited by Adumbration

2 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

The only one from memory is +121# for remaining credit. But the others for online payment etc are supplied, in English, with the the SIM purchase

Thanks.  I only have access to a small village phone shop here but hopefully they will have the info.

What is the AIS off the rack prepaid sim called.  I don't need data just the number.

4 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Thanks.  What sim card do you have?  Android or apple phone?

And do you have a link to your amp investment account so I can read the details.

Dtac sim same number on prepaid for 14 years 8months

Commonwealth bank was paying OK but since March 2020 their rates went really downhill, tried with them to offer me a better deal since I'm with them since 1992.but no no no no. 

AMP Saver Account

Was 1.25% up to September 2021

Now 1.16%

Beteer than coomonwealths 0.10.....

https://www.amp.com.au/banking/savings-accounts/amp-saver-account

Finally, I'm getting here with krungsri  1%which is very good for Thailand, wife dual citizen gets 1.5%....go figure ????????

9 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

I already have wise account.  Have no problem receiving their sms to log in.  As I noted at the top of this thread I am receiving all sms from banks here and abroad, just not from Australia.

Interesting ! Scomo had you tagged for something ? ????

Sorry. Your situation is not so funny.