Banking Authorisation Code Nightmare

These types of services often go through several providers. I had a similar experience tracking down failed pages from Pagerduty (a service in the US) to my cell here in Thailand. They'd get stuck repeatedly. They would often arrive days late, sometimes not at all.

Turns out the problem was with one of the intermediaries.

Try to track down who owns the number that sends you those texts (if you've ever received one successfully in the past). It's likely not the bank itself, but they use a third party provider, which may be a local Aussie one, and which may in turn use an international provider. Start with the source number (if you can't see it and your phone only shows a NAME / ALIAS of some sort, start with that, and otherwise ask True what the real source number is.

21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Wait for the token that your bank has sent to you, then the problem is sorted.  The "45 days" is probably an extreme to protect them from delays out of their control, letter post from anywhere to Thailand does not take 45 days.

For the above responder, A BIG YES, mail from the USA to Thailand can indeed take 45 or more days to arrive.  I occasionally receive mail that states a reply must be made within 10 days of the letters date.  These routinely take more than 45 days before I receive them.  

When I have a problem using banking apps I use their web sites to access my accounts. I have always found it relatively easy to set up web based access. Can't speak for Aussie banks. 

Also track and trace mail normally takes me 7days definitely not 45 and is very reliable

Edited by chilly07

Interesting that CBA have registered your Thai number for SMS. The last time I spoke to them they said their database would not accept a foreign number.

I have an account with OFX and transfer money to them (in Australia) and they send it to my Thai bank. No SMS required for transfers in Australia. All done online.

1 hour ago, dlclark97 said:

For the above responder, A BIG YES, mail from the USA to Thailand can indeed take 45 or more days to arrive.  I occasionally receive mail that states a reply must be made within 10 days of the letters date.  These routinely take more than 45 days before I receive them.  

If you say so, but his bank is in Australia.  That's the US (strangely appropriate initials) for you, anyway.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Had same problem with NAB a few years ago Couldn't receive the SMS code for International transfers . Worked on this problem for Months Bank say this Ais says That .

In the end it Was Is the NAB  admitted that it was there System problem  haven't heard from them if it's Fixed or not .

Transferring via Wise now.

• Like 1

Can you get a friend to send u an Oz sim card which maybe needs to be activated in Oz first. Then use that to receive the dreaded sms codes. It is free to receive texts while roaming. I get them sent to my UK number from my UK banks. Maybe get a dual sim card phone, which I use, to keep my UK sim active as well as my Thai sim card. Hope u can sort it mate.

Edited by SunsetT

Get a cheap AIS pay as you go sim.

Use it on a cheap 2000 baht phone.

Use this phone only for your bank.

I hope you can get this settled.  Terribly stressful I'm sure. 

Maybe you could have the SMS sent to a friends phone in Australia while you're Skyping.

Then he could just show or tell you the code to input.

I've actually done that.

Edited by MrJ2U

4 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Interesting that CBA have registered your Thai number for SMS. The last time I spoke to them they said their database would not accept a foreign number.

I have an account with OFX and transfer money to them (in Australia) and they send it to my Thai bank. No SMS required for transfers in Australia. All done online.

CBA has my Thai number since 2013,once the security of the bank Called me on thst number, to mske sure it was me using the credit card when I booked a Eurostar train ticket Paris to London. 

BTW, the last week before we flew out of Sydney, August 2020,I added my wife's thai number to her Cba account by visiting the Waverley (Sydney)now Permanently closed branch. 

Adding an overseas number to CBA is dooable ????

Same issue here, bank accounts in Portugal. Until end of 2019, no problems in receiving OTP via SMS to my Thai number. Then suddenly, no longer working. Contacted bank over there, they say it's not an issue caused by them. The system gets the OTP request, sends it out, but does not reach my Thai number here. True, my provider, says it's not caused by them either. So, no solution on the SMS front.

Since I got the bank app installed both on my iPad and Android phone, was able to make transfers through the app, no need for OTP, just my PIN code. Then had to re-install the app on my Android, screwed again. In order to validate, needed to get a OTP send by SMS to my phone....back to square one.

Funny enough, I have another phone with Portuguese number that uses True as service provider, same as my Thai number. For another Portuguese bank account, no problems in receiving OTP's by SMS here in Thailand.

Makes no sense, gave up trying to fix this. As long as my iPad doesn't die, I can manage. Once I have a chance to go back to Europe, will get a token, to be on the save side....

I had a similar problem about 2 years ago. Eventually my bank in Scotland admitted that their system could not call numbers in Thailand. They sent me a token which failed to arrive, and after my complaint sent a second one. This second token was sent to my brother's address in Glasgow and he activated it for me and sent it on by Royal Mail Tracked. It got to an office in Chiang mai and sat there for 4 weeks. I eventually tracked it down and went to the office where I discovered that Customs were holding it. They could not figure out what it was and I spent 10 mins trying to explain how it worked. Eventually they gave up and walked away, leaving me to pocket it and go home.

11 minutes ago, Maybole said:

I had a similar problem about 2 years ago. Eventually my bank in Scotland admitted that their system could not call numbers in Thailand. They sent me a token which failed to arrive, and after my complaint sent a second one. This second token was sent to my brother's address in Glasgow and he activated it for me and sent it on by Royal Mail Tracked. It got to an office in Chiang mai and sat there for 4 weeks. I eventually tracked it down and went to the office where I discovered that Customs were holding it. They could not figure out what it was and I spent 10 mins trying to explain how it worked. Eventually they gave up and walked away, leaving me to pocket it and go home.

As I have stated above I am not receiving SMS messages from my two bank Commonwealth and The Greater (former building society turned bank).

The Greater does not have token available.

Commonwealth bank does have one but will not send it to my post box.  I have a post box because the road I live in is unnamed and the postal service is poor and unreliable.

I am trying to find sustainable long term solutions to these issues. Tokens are not really a solution because they have a battery shelf life. Apps are definitely not a solution because so many problems regarding failure, lost or stolen phones etc.

In such situations the banks response is" Oh when you come back into our branch we will fix that for you".  How is that going to happen.

Everyone just assumes that the growth of crypto currency is fueled by speculation.  I would argue that a significant part of the demand is from people looking for an alternative way to manage their finances without having to deal with the institution nonsense the bank now subject them to.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, digger70 said:

Had same problem with NAB a few years ago Couldn't receive the SMS code for International transfers . Worked on this problem for Months Bank say this Ais says That .

In the end it Was Is the NAB  admitted that it was there System problem  haven't heard from them if it's Fixed or not .

Transferring via Wise now.

I have a Telstra prepaid sim. Just need to top up some time in every 6 month period to keep it valid. Obviously I don’t call or text with it but I receive all my bank OTP’s without an issue for the last 3+ years. 
Unfortunately I forgot to top up recently and my service was ‘cancelled’. Quickly jumped on live chat with their app. Sent a mate in Aus a copy of my drivers license and a quick email authorising him to reopen account as they quarantine your number for 30 days. 
New sim with my 12+ year old number on its way to me via the post. Crisis over 

I use Wise too but I still need OTP’s for new payees or large transactions 

This is not a solution to your immediate issue. However, you mentioned a more "sustainable" solution to the problem. About two years ago, credit card companies in the US began to require that I receive an OTP via SMS to complete any online transaction. However, they were not able to send that SMS to anything but a valid US phone number. This basically made my credit cards unusable for online transactions.

What I did was purchase a "phone number" from Skype. This costs me $5 per month. With this phone number, I was able to turn on the "Receive SMS" option, and now all SMS messages to that number arrive in my Skype. Now when I attempt a payment online, I get the OTP in Skype, and type it in to complete the purchase. Since I get the SMS to my phone, tablet, and computer, I can complete purchases from any device. Since the number is a US phone number, I have never had a problem with receiving the SMS messages.

It also means that friend and family in the US can SMS me using the same number. I also purchased an "unlimited minutes" call plan from Skype, which allows me to call anyone in the US, and receive calls to that number. The calls ring my phone, tablet, and computer simultaneously, which is quite convenient.

• Like 1

Try getting the token sent to a trusted relative in Australia. Skype him or her ( you can access a domestic telephone via the keyboard immediately above notification in the top left hand corner), get the relative to activate the token and send it to you.

8 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

I have a Telstra prepaid sim. Just need to top up some time in every 6 month period to keep it valid. Obviously I don’t call or text with it but I receive all my bank OTP’s without an issue for the last 3+ years. 
Unfortunately I forgot to top up recently and my service was ‘cancelled’. Quickly jumped on live chat with their app. Sent a mate in Aus a copy of my drivers license and a quick email authorising him to reopen account as they quarantine your number for 30 days. 

Telstra has stopped international roaming on pre-paid SIMs. The only messages I get now are from Telstra or the Government.

9 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Apps are definitely not a solution because so many problems regarding failure, lost or stolen phones etc.

I think you're over inflating potential issues here.

What "failures"? An outage once in a blue moon that may last a few hours. Lost or stolen phone - get a new one and reinstall the app.

I am from the UK and live in Pattaya. I have often had problems with various types of money transfers of one kind or another. In each and every case until now the problem has been in the UK-never in Thailand.

Recently I have had problems receiving OTP's from HMRC ( Inland Revenue) and  after some hard work they have solved the problem. The problem is with the server in Thailand and they discovered it involved most  servers. The servers admitted receiving the OTP's and then admitted to not passing them on. They do now. If a call to the Thai server does not produce the required result maybe you could ask your Bank to ask them to sort it out. The problem is with the servers in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

I have a problem with ANZ, wanted to send more than my daily limit allowed on-line,     when the AUD was up,  so can only do it by phone  they sent me around in circles till after around 20min my phone ran out of money, OZy banks are the worst, I am convinced they are trying to stop us from moving money out of OZ. Another con they try is we convert the money to THB and its a cheaper transfer fee 9 Aud. not 18 dollar, what a load of bs even with the full transfer fee sent in dollars i'm thousands of baht better off.                              

On 10/21/2021 at 5:16 PM, MJCM said:

Couple of things spring to mind

1- Did you verify that your Bank has the number in +66 format for Thailand? (Which I think could be the main issue)

2- Did you verify that the number (the bank has) is correct?

3- Investigate about changing your number over from True to for example 12Call. AFAIK you should be able to do this and keep the same number

4- Can you change the number to a number of your friends back home just for the time being? (I did that in the beginning after I moved here, it was a bit of a hassle but it worked_

Hope it helps

Good Luck

I had a similar issue with a UK Bank.

The solution was the +66 Format for the International Call / SMS.

This was after many Years of using a Zero ( 0 ) before the Thai Number I use.

At this point I will say I use AIS on the 1  2 Call

I would try these small things first, and you should be able to transport your number from True to AIS no problem.

Good Luck, I hope this all works out for you.

19 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

No problem I can transfer in Aus I have a Thai number and they say  that I can Receive an OTP . But I haven't bothered for the OTP for International Transfers because they haven't  said that they Fixed the problem.

The bank said that there are many people who had/have the same problem. So I don't use the International transfer from the bank.  I get  a much better deal with Wise.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 7:42 AM, GreasyFingers said:

Telstra has stopped international roaming on pre-paid SIMs. The only messages I get now are from Telstra or the Government.

Since when? I got my OTP’s just a few weeks ago from NAB & ING. And Telstra Live chat had no issue with it. 
I also have 2 factor authorisation for Google and others 

I don’t think that statement is accurate, sorry mate 

Pic of my ING SMS’s up until I forgot to top up 2 weeks ago lol

CF1034F2-EB85-4843-8367-A936BC4403BF.jpeg

Edited by MadMuhammad

On 10/22/2021 at 1:35 AM, MJCM said:

Re: Number Portability read here

(It's an old topic, but the info still seems correct)

Ps: Safest Bet is to go to a 12Call / AIS shop

Totally out of date. Can be done via USSD now. 

If it doesn't accept your passport number then let Truemove H know and they will send you the code manually. The contact AIS call centre, give them the code and get them to send you a new SIM(you'll likely need to send them your passport details and a live photo of yourself for registration).