Banking Authorisation Code Nightmare

On 10/22/2021 at 4:24 PM, Adumbration said:

As I have stated above I am not receiving SMS messages from my two bank Commonwealth and The Greater (former building society turned bank).

The Greater does not have token available.

Commonwealth bank does have one but will not send it to my post box.  I have a post box because the road I live in is unnamed and the postal service is poor and unreliable.

I am trying to find sustainable long term solutions to these issues. Tokens are not really a solution because they have a battery shelf life. Apps are definitely not a solution because so many problems regarding failure, lost or stolen phones etc.

In such situations the banks response is" Oh when you come back into our branch we will fix that for you".  How is that going to happen.

Everyone just assumes that the growth of crypto currency is fueled by speculation.  I would argue that a significant part of the demand is from people looking for an alternative way to manage their finances without having to deal with the institution nonsense the bank now subject them to.

Five year battery life. Order another in advance of the five year expiry. 

There is an online service option, but: https://become-ais-family.ais.co.th/move-to-ais-online/# & https://become-ais-family.ais.co.th/en

4 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

Since when? I got my OTP’s just a few weeks ago from NAB & ING. And Telstra Live chat had no issue with it. 
I also have 2 factor authorisation for Google and others 

I don’t think that statement is accurate, sorry mate 

Pic of my ING SMS’s up until I forgot to top up 2 weeks ago lol

CF1034F2-EB85-4843-8367-A936BC4403BF.jpeg

No problems with what you say so I must have been lied to by both the CBA and Telstra call centers. I really went off at the Telstra fellow but he was adamant that there would be no global roaming for pre-paid and that included OTPs from banks.

I get the SMS from both Citibank and ING but it is to my Thai number, not Telstra. Looks like there will be some arguments with them when I finally get to visit Oz again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

No problems with what you say so I must have been lied to by both the CBA and Telstra call centers. I really went off at the Telstra fellow but he was adamant that there would be no global roaming for pre-paid and that included OTPs from banks.

I get the SMS from both Citibank and ING but it is to my Thai number, not Telstra. Looks like there will be some arguments with them when I finally get to visit Oz again.

You are both right:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/services-kb/we-re-phasing-out-a-few-pre-paid-features/ta-p/894337

Why is Telstra no longer offering International Roaming on Pre-Paid?

We’ll soon be moving to a new Pre-Paid platform and while we move all our Pre-Paid products and services, we need to stop offering International Roaming. This stop is required so that we can successfully move to the new platform and will allow us to re-design International Roaming for Pre-Paid to bring a simpler and more valuable plan to Pre-Paid.

On 10/22/2021 at 11:49 PM, Maybole said:

Try getting the token sent to a trusted relative in Australia. Skype him or her ( you can access a domestic telephone via the keyboard immediately above notification in the top left hand corner), get the relative to activate the token and send it to you.

Thank you to everyone here for your input and support.  BUT PLEASE NOTE I have no family in Australia I can rely upon for support.

I had an accountant who was responsible to collect my mail from my post box and forward it on.  He had a nervous breakdown and dropped the ball.  I am dealing with a raft of other problems that arise from this.

Cancellation of my Oz driver's licence is just one example.

On 10/22/2021 at 11:42 PM, timendres said:

This is not a solution to your immediate issue. However, you mentioned a more "sustainable" solution to the problem. About two years ago, credit card companies in the US began to require that I receive an OTP via SMS to complete any online transaction. However, they were not able to send that SMS to anything but a valid US phone number. This basically made my credit cards unusable for online transactions.

What I did was purchase a "phone number" from Skype. This costs me $5 per month. With this phone number, I was able to turn on the "Receive SMS" option, and now all SMS messages to that number arrive in my Skype. Now when I attempt a payment online, I get the OTP in Skype, and type it in to complete the purchase. Since I get the SMS to my phone, tablet, and computer, I can complete purchases from any device. Since the number is a US phone number, I have never had a problem with receiving the SMS messages.

It also means that friend and family in the US can SMS me using the same number. I also purchased an "unlimited minutes" call plan from Skype, which allows me to call anyone in the US, and receive calls to that number. The calls ring my phone, tablet, and computer simultaneously, which is quite convenient.

Thanks for your input. But SMS to skype number is only available in the the States at present.  If anyone knows otherwise and it is available in Australia please let me know.

On 10/22/2021 at 10:50 PM, MadMuhammad said:

I have a Telstra prepaid sim. Just need to top up some time in every 6 month period to keep it valid. Obviously I don’t call or text with it but I receive all my bank OTP’s without an issue for the last 3+ years. 
Unfortunately I forgot to top up recently and my service was ‘cancelled’. Quickly jumped on live chat with their app. Sent a mate in Aus a copy of my drivers license and a quick email authorising him to reopen account as they quarantine your number for 30 days. 
New sim with my 12+ year old number on its way to me via the post. Crisis over 

I use Wise too but I still need OTP’s for new payees or large transactions 

I don't have any family in Oz i can rely upon for support.  And also not a sustainable long term solution anyway.  My driver's licence is also suspended because my accountant had a nervous break down and failed to forward on my mail to me from my post box.

• Sad 1

On 10/23/2021 at 7:42 AM, GreasyFingers said:

Telstra has stopped international roaming on pre-paid SIMs. The only messages I get now are from Telstra or the Government.

Interesting.  Having a sim sent over is firstly requires support of someone in Oz.  I don't have anyone.  Was using an accountant for 10 years.  He a nervous breakdown and dropped the ball. 

I could probably arrange a sim to be purchased and sent pursuant to a Limited Power of Attorney but that would take months, cost a fortune and as @GreasyFingers has posted looks like is already not a workable solution.

On 10/22/2021 at 1:11 PM, USNret said:

“I have wastedhundreds in international call costs.”

why are you not using Skype for your international calling. The calls would just be pennies; basically negligible cost. 

Please not that skype call credits and subscription do not work the the 1800 and 13 number that all banks and government use.  Some now have proper hardline numbers to call for people outside the country.  Last week I was put through to the Commonwealth bank overseas number and was on hold for 75 minutes.

Often after and hour or more hold time someone will pick up and the connection will then drop out.

So it is back to the end of the hold line with more time and money wasted.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 1:43 PM, kingoak said:

A Token is the way to go. I do that with the same Bank and works ok to send money overseas up to their customer imposed limit.

Commonwealth bank refused to send token to my post box here that is registered in my name.  I have copy of documents Thai post used to set up including details of my Passport.  I had the post manager here sign and stamp it personally.

I offered to email the Commonwealth bank a copy of this document and a copy of my passport.  But they refused to even provide me with an email address.

Have youI am with AIS and I sometimes have this problem eith SMS.

My fix is dial *731 then press 1, Receive SMS confirmation.

Dial *731 then press 2,this resets SMS to my previous settings.

This works as I had a confirmation SMS from Westpac this morning.

Have you tried the information I sent you yet? *137 press send then press 1

Edited by norbra

I am not sure if this is your problem or not, but some wireless carriers do not accept what is called "short code" messaging.  See attached.  You may have to contact your carrier to see if it is short code enabled.  Only other alternative would be to port to a different carrier.  I doubt you can change the phone number without the one time SMS authorization code from your bank. 
image.png.661ec08c20a00e21f4dbe03e8926d7de.png

On 10/24/2021 at 2:12 PM, Bruno123 said:

Totally out of date. Can be done via USSD now. 

If it doesn't accept your passport number then let Truemove H know and they will send you the code manually. The contact AIS call centre, give them the code and get them to send you a new SIM(you'll likely need to send them your passport details and a live photo of yourself for registration).

On Saturday I was able to travel to Phuket.  There is still hundreds of soldiers at the bridge and they jumped on me as a foreigner.  After a good deal of interrogation we were allowed to pass.

While there I visited an AIS office in a lotus's mall.

Staff there told me there was no way to do this via USSD or online.  I have a prepaid card with TrueH.  They told me I had to have my passport and come back to the office.  They would then apply in their system and give me a AIS sim to take with me.  Said porting would take 2-3 days and I would receive SMS to true sim.  Then I could take it out and put the AIS sim in my phone and should be good to go.

I purchased a 100baht prepaid AIS sim.  Before I port I want to put it in my girl's phone and get a test sms sent from banks.  If it works then I will try to port to AIS.  

Commonwealth bank has now refused to talk to me on the phone.  I was told I have to wait for a call from there security department.  Would not tell me when I would receive the call and refused to give me a contact email address.  

It is sickening how they hide and operate behind this wall absolute anonymity.  They will not even provide you with an email address for direct contact.  The phone rang this morning while I was in bed.  I was awake.  It rang literally only once and I did not have sufficient time to get up to answer.  It was a Sydney number and I suspect from the bank.  They will put on record that they tried to call me even though they basically just prank called me.

I have absolutely zero trust in their staff or operating systems.  It is causing me a great deal of anxiety and stress.

In the next few days I will try to contact my other bank and see if the New AIS sim I have works.

I will keep you updated.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Please not that skype call credits and subscription do not work the the 1800 and 13 number that all banks and government use.  Some now have proper hardline numbers to call for people outside the country.  Last week I was put through to the Commonwealth bank overseas number and was on hold for 75 minutes.

Often after and hour or more hold time someone will pick up and the connection will then drop out.

So it is back to the end of the hold line with more time and money wasted.

Have you gotten started on the Porting process? Get started. Even if you obtain a Porting code, there is no obligation for you to use it, so move to get a code in the first instance. Then at least you can move to the step of how you will actually use it.

If you registered using your passport, then this is how you obtain your code: 1.2 ส่งขอผ่าน SMS ไปที่หมายเลข 4444151

➡ ลูกค้าต่างชาติ พิมพ์เลข Passport (พิมพ์ทั้งตัวเลข ตัวอักษรตัวพิมพ์ใหญ่ ตัวพิมพ์เล็ก ให้ถูกต้อง) กดส่ง

Instructions for your wife to follow.

Your translation:

Send a request via SMS to number 4444151.  ➡ Foreign customers, type Passport number (print both numbers uppercase letters, lowercase letters correctly) press Send

So obviously, the staff haven't a clue, as is usual. How did you end up paying 100 baht for a 50 baht SIM??

Seems people are yanking your chain.

Edited by Bruno123

41 minutes ago, norbra said:

Have youI am with AIS and I sometimes have this problem eith SMS.

My fix is dial *731 then press 1, Receive SMS confirmation.

Dial *731 then press 2,this resets SMS to my previous settings.

This works as I had a confirmation SMS from Westpac this morning.

Have you tried the information I sent you yet? *137 press send then press 1

Hi nobra thanks for you info.

I note that you PMed me with this:

----------------------------------------------------

Try this before you make major changes.

Dial *137 then press 1

This will set SMS to receive ALL messages, hopefully including the banks.

If this works you can then disl *137 press 2 to turn off spam messages as required

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My current sim is with TRUE H (Not AIS).  Is this the correct code to use with True?

I already did that with the settings on my android phone.  That is deleted all the blocked number i previously had.  But still not work.

I understand fully that this code is for True service not my phone.  So maybe it will work.

Has anyone else tried this fix for true:

dial *137 then press 1

Can you confirm that the code is correct and that it works.

If it is a valid code (and possible fix) why did the 5 different customer service guys at True I spoke with last week not mention it?

10 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Have you gotten started on the Porting process? Get started. Even if you obtain a Porting code, there is no obligation for you to use it, so move to get a code in the first instance. Then at least you can move to the step of how you will actually use it.

If you registered using your passport, then this is how you obtain your code: 1.2 ส่งขอผ่าน SMS ไปที่หมายเลข 4444151

➡ ลูกค้าต่างชาติ พิมพ์เลข Passport (พิมพ์ทั้งตัวเลข ตัวอักษรตัวพิมพ์ใหญ่ ตัวพิมพ์เล็ก ให้ถูกต้อง) กดส่ง

Instructions for your wife to follow.

Your translation:

Send a request via SMS to number 4444151.  ➡ Foreign customers, type Passport number (print both numbers uppercase letters, lowercase letters correctly) press Send

So obviously, the staff haven't a clue, as is usual. How did you end up paying 100 baht for a 50 baht SIM??

Seems people are yanking your chain.

Only sims available were 100baht with 50 baht prepaid credit.  Not pulling my chain that was the price labelled on the packet.

Money is critical for us at the moment but I am not going worry about losing 50 baht in prepaid credit if I toss the sim after I prove bank SMS will get picked up by AIS.

Before I port I want to see if anyone has any feedback on solution suggested above by Nobra.  If I can fix my True Sim that is a far less problematic solution.

Edited by Adumbration

1 minute ago, Adumbration said:

Dial *137 then press 1

If this works you can then disl *137 press 2 to turn off spam messages as required

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My current sim is with TRUE H (Not AIS).  Is this the correct code to use with True?

I already did that with the settings on my android phone.  That is deleted all the blocked number i previously had.  But still not work.

I understand fully that this code is for True service not my phone.  So maybe it will work.

dial *137 then press 1

If it is a valid code (and possible fix) why did the 5 different customer service guys at True I spoke with last week not mention it?

That is the code for blocking SPAM SMS. 

If you have a Thai wife, she can decipher what is stated:

Wife.png.eb6ff4eecbfe18f08e15da7399e42e98.png

12 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Dial *137 then press 1

dial *137 then press 1

They are customer service types not techs so thecode is *137 ,send and then press 1. This will enable all SMS messages,can some true customer try this and confirm for OP

3 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Thanks for that Bruno.  I have a Thai girl but she is technologically challenged by our washing machine.  I actually fix her phone problems.  I speak pretty good Thai but don't read much.

Can anyone provide a translation of the above flowchart or point to a link with English version.

3 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

The code for blocking spam SMS is *137 send then press 2.

To accept all SMS dial *137 send press 1

4 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Only sims available were 100baht with 50 baht prepaid credit.  Not pulling my chain that was the price labelled on the packet.

Your trip there was absolutely unnecessary. You can obtain the MNP code remotely, as I wrote before you took off to Phuket.

There may also be the possibility of ordering the new SIM online once you have the code.

Never heard of a SIM that comes with 50 baht of credit. Seems like a shop thing as opposed to a direct from AIS thing. TeleWiz?

https://www.ais.th/one-2-call/en/index.html I don't see one there.

Anyway, it's not an issue; but you should know what you are buying, rather than them just selling you what they want to sell to you.

7 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Your trip there was absolutely unnecessary. You can obtain the MNP code remotely, as I wrote before you took off to Phuket.

There may also be the possibility of ordering the new SIM online once you have the code.

Never heard of a SIM that comes with 50 baht of credit. Seems like a shop thing as opposed to a direct from AIS thing. TeleWiz?

https://www.ais.th/one-2-call/en/index.html I don't see one there.

Anyway, it's not an issue; but you should know what you are buying, rather than them just selling you what they want to sell to you.

Purpose of trip to Phuket was not to buy sim.  Just something I did.  

This is the sim I bought:

https://www.ais.th/theonesim/en/

I have a written receipt for the purchase 100baht.

If I was ripped off please let me know and I will bring it up if I have to go back to the office.

Also If I can do it remotely that is well and good but I would still have to wait for sim to arrive in post.  And it would be quicker to do it in person and already have the sim at hand.

Edited by Adumbration

14 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

There is another infographic located here:

https://help.truecorp.co.th/mobile_devices/3766/content/6/26?ln=en

but same problem it is a jpeg image so cannot use google translate.

Press 1 to cancel the press release. Press 2 to cancel the sms that is charged, whether it is a news service, horoscope Press 3 to cancel, both are public relations sms and paid sms

or

Dial *137 and call, then select Press 1 to cancel the SMS promotion free of charge. Press 2 to cancel SMS that has been charged. Press 3 to cancel all SMS.

Edited by Bruno123

2 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

That SIM is 50 baht. They just sold you a 50 baht topup.

That may be the case.  Girl didn't mention that and no mention in the receipt.  So it looks like I was scammed out of 50 baht.  But what else would one expect in Phuket.  I won't grieve on it too long.  I have bigger fish to fry.

Just now, Adumbration said:

Purpose of trip to Phuket was not to buy sim.  Just something I did.  

This is the sim I bought:

https://www.ais.th/theonesim/en/

I have a written receipt for the purchase 100baht.

If I was ripped off please let me know and I will bring it up if I have to go back to the office.

Also If I can do it remotely that is well and good but I would still have to wait for sim to arrive in post.  And it would be quicker to do it in person and already have the sim at hand.

The code you can obtain now, remotely. It lasts for 30 days and then expires. Then take that code to an AIS service centre along with your passport for registering the new SIM. Yes, the SIM is just 50 baht.It is clearly stated in the link supplied to you and I have obtained many of them from AIS service centres. The credit is obviously a money making path for them. Not a problem if you actually need some credit; but annoying if you don't. Airport booths have a similar ploy, wherein they try to force you to buy 300 baht worth of credit.

3 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

The code you can obtain now, remotely. It lasts for 30 days and then expires. Then take that code to an AIS service centre along with your passport for registering the new SIM. Yes, the SIM is just 50 baht.It is clearly stated in the link supplied to you and I have obtained many of them from AIS service centres. The credit is obviously a money making path for them. Not a problem if you actually need some credit; but annoying if you don't. Airport booths have a similar ploy, wherein they try to force you to buy 300 baht worth of credit.

The girl at AIS said cannot port at mom and pop phone shop back here in the village.  But from what you have told me it might actually be possible?

4 hours ago, Adumbration said:

The girl at AIS said cannot port at mom and pop phone shop back here in the village.  But from what you have told me it might actually be possible?

That's not what I told you. Are you actually reading my posts? ????  On the day you will go to Phuket again, request a MNP PIN code before leaving in the manner I suggested earlier. You need to give that code, along with your passport, to AIS and they will give you a new SIM. The day after, the process will complete and your number will be transferred.

If you aren't going to Phuket again, then you will need to talk to the AIS call centre to tell them you cannot get to a service centre. 

The problem here is that you need to be able to pay the 50 baht for the SIM somehow ???? Maybe they can work it out over video chat(for the registration of the new SIM) and bank transfer.