1 Night AQ Pricing for "Quarantine Free Entry"

3 minutes ago, bolt said:

off topic

do we need to upload a copy of our flight ticket???

They asked me for copy of flight ticket, insurance, Passport and vaccination certificate

Edited by aussiexpat

6 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Wise account, whatever that is

If you often transfer cash from overseas it's worth looking into (excellent rates and low fees - up to a point, when getting into the 10s of thousands of dollars the fees start getting a tadge much). Also a few other handy things can be done with it.

Not sure if you saw the edit I made before you replied, try your debit card (assuming it's Visa or Mastercard) using PayPal - you don't need a PayPal account to use it to pay for something.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Salerno said:

If you often transfer cash from overseas it's worth looking into (excellent rates and low fees - up to a point, when getting into the 10s of thousands of dollars the fees start getting a tadge much). Also a few other handy things can be done with it.

Not sure if you saw the edit I made before you replied, try your debit card (assuming it's Visa or Mastercard) using PayPal - you don't need a PayPal account to use it to pay for something.

Thanks but it's just me. I've survived traveling all over the World for 40 years with a credit card and ATM card and not willing to do new money payment things just for a once off 1 night stay for a measly 4700 baht. TP is all the new thing I can handle.

Who knew a Thai Visa card was no longer welcome in Thailand lol

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Salerno said:

Just that hotel, others have the cheek to ask for a copy of both sided of your credit card!

In those cases we advise using WISE if possible, as you can use your credit card to directly pay into the hotels local Thai bank account with a 1 hour confirmation usually. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Salerno said:

Many thanks, I got over myself and signed up to Wise. It was super easy and very cheap like you said. I will use this a lot as exchange rate was great as well (24.17 while TT rate on street 24.02) ????

Edited by aussiexpat

What I don't understand is

The inflated prices. Rooms on average glance 6000b.

In very expensive NYC you can get a nice room, with breakfast and free PCR tests. AND... freedom to walk the streets

Often, adding another person is simply double the cost.

Ok, so it's another PCR test and a 35b box of cold phad kapow. What am I missing?

Just hate this whole thing. I decided not to travel and want to encourage everyone else to do the same.

Covid is forever this mafia system will be forever.

34 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Many thanks, I got over myself and signed up to Wise. It was super easy and very cheap like you said. I will use this a lot as exchange rate was great as well ????

You're welcome. As long as you don't need proof of money coming into Thailand for overseas it's fast too, not sure if we are there yet, but for people from other nations it's basically within seconds. If you need proof for foreign transfer (e.g. extension based on 65K monthly) and you have a Bangkok Bank account get Wise to "flag" that account so transfers show as FTT (depending on time you do transfer could add a day as they batch process around 2 pm).

When you get bored look into the other functions that can be helpful depending on your travel movements: create "bank accounts" in other currencies (back in Australia for a while and $ is high against the Baht - transfer some money into your Baht account for your next trip, same with other currencies if you regularly travel to Singapore, KL etc. can quickly build a nice stash between trips and negate my usual luck of the $ getting it's <deleted> kicked just as I land), grab a debit card and use a temporary card number for online payment to minimise fraudulent use, debit card with Thai Baht account attached to it can be an emergency back up ATM card but the fees/withdrawal caps suck IMO (using it in restaurants/hotels/clubs not bad as it will use the foreign currency you obtained at the high rate first if you have it).

I find it a good combo with an ING Orange Everyday as my main travel ATM card.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

@ThaiVisaCentre

My previous booking stated that my transport from Swampy to Pattaya was a shared taxi. This means if one of the strangers I'm sharing with tests positive, then I'll be forced into 10 days quarantine regardless of my negative test.

Is there a way to tell which hotels have individual taxi, or are all in Pattaya shared?

4 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

@ThaiVisaCentre

My previous booking stated that my transport from Swampy to Pattaya was a shared taxi. This means if one of the strangers I'm sharing with tests positive, then I'll be forced into 10 days quarantine regardless of my negative test.

Is there a way to tell which hotels have individual taxi, or are all in Pattaya shared?

does your current booking mention this?

I did an COE last year and shared a Mini bus with one guy, but my other 2 COE entry's was single taxi.

14 minutes ago, bolt said:

does your current booking mention this?

I did an COE last year and shared a Mini bus with one guy, but my other 2 COE entry's was single taxi.

New booking hasn't provided any info. Richard Barrow has just written an article where a guy, despite testing negative, has been locked in hard quarantine because he shared a cab to the hotel with someone who tested positive. Don't really want to take that risk, especially as it's a 2 hr drive to Pattaya

Cab guy is 2nd story of "the nightmare of testing positive"

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=445678823585053&id=100044288176713

Edited by aussiexpat

Just now, aussiexpat said:

Don't really want to take that risk.

How much are they charging? During quarantine it was an extra 2K for airport pickup, if still the case I'd be insisting on lone occupant for that price and using the guy in quarantine now as the justification.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

How much are they charging? During quarantine it was an extra 2K for airport pickup, if still the case I'd be insisting on lone occupant for that price and using the guy in quarantine now as the justification.

They claim transport is free as their special offer. 4700 was full cost with room, tests, 2 meals and transport

Just now, aussiexpat said:

They claim transport is free as their special offer. 4700 was full cost with room, tests, 2 meals and transport

Not a bad price in that case, fingers crossed no one is turning up same time and staying at the same hotel.

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Not a bad price in that case, fingers crossed no one is turning up same time and staying at the same hotel.

Nah, won't be doing shared taxi with strangers. Thinking the Elegant hotel 6km from Swampy might now be the best idea and it's only 3900.

I'll have my normal taxi on speed dial for as soon as I get a negative result ????

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Salerno said:
4 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Don't really want to take that risk.

IF someone is paying for the AQ package it will include the Airport Package and PCR test (+ ATK) - they ‘should’ be receiving private transfers. 

IF a hotel is proving shared transport the guest is being short changed. 

As you [Salerno] wrote, guests have the right to insist on private transfers particularly in light of this story.

That said: I suspect the story where one guy was quarantined because the other passenger in the ‘shared transport’ test positive involved two friends travelling together. 

I’m not sure if it hotels would be providing shared transport for strangers. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That said: I suspect the story where one guy was quarantined because the other passenger in the ‘shared transport’ test positive involved two friends travelling together. 

Agreed, but when a single party is sent ...

My previous booking stated that my transport from Swampy to Pattaya was a shared taxi.

it begs the question what are Pattaya hotels thinking and is another thing to add to the "due diligence" list if heading there.

Edited by Salerno

11 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Nah, won't be doing shared taxi with strangers. Thinking the Elegant hotel 6km from Swampy might now be the best idea and it's only 3900.

I'll have my normal taxi on speed dial for as soon as I get a negative result ????

It may be worth contacting the hotel to ask their ‘turnaround time’ for PCR tests. 

We arrived at our hotel at about 9:30am-ish and took the PCR test straight away.

We called to reception and asked for the result at 5pm.

The PCR certificate shows the PDF certificate was created at 1:30pm.

Thus: a 4 hour turn time is perfectly reasonable IF the hotel is partnered to a hospital which is efficient at turning around tests. 

1 minute ago, Salerno said:
4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed, but when a single party is sent ...

My previous booking stated that my transport from Swampy to Pattaya was a shared taxi.

it begs the question what are Pattaya hotels thinking.

Obviously thinking of cuttings costs without any of the consequences for the ‘guests’...

I wouldn’t want to share a taxi to Pattaya with another stranger even outside of Covid-19 times, who knows what ex special services Thailand legal expert I’d be sat next to..... 

Definitely insist on ’private transfers’.

• Like 1

Most hotels will try any trick to cut costs, sharing transport is probably not allowed, but maybe the loop hole is car versus Mini bus, 2m spacing et, I shared my first COE back in Aug last year, it was a Mini Bus 

I imagine standing at airport insisting on singular transport, and then being given the choice to pay extra or share, classic Thailand that feeling of being screwed for your money, “its up to you”

Maybe insist on singular occupancy transport before payment for AQ test & Go hotel

Edited by bolt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

New booking hasn't provided any info. Richard Barrow has just written an article where a guy, despite testing negative, has been locked in hard quarantine because he shared a cab to the hotel with someone who tested positive. Don't really want to take that risk, especially as it's a 2 hr drive to Pattaya

Cab guy is 2nd story of "the nightmare of testing positive"

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=445678823585053&id=100044288176713

If you're trying to book Test & Go in Pattaya for under 5000 THB then you're most likely sharing transportation.

Many hotels will offer private pickup for an extra charge.

17 minutes ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

If you're trying to book Test & Go in Pattaya for under 5000 THB then you're most likely sharing transportation.

I suppose it depends on how many are arriving same flight or same time.

We should ask the hotel about this, I’m happy to pay a little bit more for singular transport, but the question is how much more

I don’t see the point in paying for test & Go Hotel in Bangkok if you’re final destination is Pattaya, taxi prices are not as cheap as they once were.

24 minutes ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

Well very glad this came to notice. I think sharing a 2 hour taxi ride with strangers during covid times would be madness. What if it's a quarantine hotel as well, other passengers could be unvaxed and that scheme has by far the highest positive rate of the 3 schemes (as you'd expect)

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

I don’t see the point in paying for test & Go Hotel in Bangkok if you’re final destination is Pattaya, taxi prices are not as cheap as they once were.

That's why I'm picking one very close to the airport rather than in Bangkok. I'll then use my normal taxi service to get to Pattaya

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bolt said:

Hell of a lot cheaper than the 2K they where charging for quarantine. If they want the same now, why not use the 3990 Bht "airport" hotel and grab a taxi in the morning for around 1200 Bht?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Hell of a lot cheaper than the 2K they where charging for quarantine. If they want the same now, why not use the 3990 Bht "airport" hotel and grab a taxi in the morning for around 1200 Bht?

which hotel is 3,900? at Airport 

16 minutes ago, bolt said:

which hotel is 3,900? at Airport 

The Elegant Bangkok, it's in the OP link. It is 7 min drive from airport and has free changes if covid related or plane delays.  It's also 5 star with 3 meals so what better way to wait for a negative Test 

https://asq.in.th/asq-thailand-hotels/elegant-airport-hotel-bangkok-sandbox

Oops I better hurry up and book before too many people find out about it ????

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Thanks 1