International airlines return 80% of their airport slots in Thailand for the next five months

webfact

4 hours ago, alyx said:

You seem to forget, my dear, that we own our jets. I might add that this is a smart move allowing us more parking spaces

That's right more room for the millionaires to come and buy property and have a personal hangar...just like the Thais believe they will entice....Nice...lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

The Thailand big-wigs have been predicting 100,000+ this year after 1st November and then 14,000,000 tourists next year.

Now my question is if (yes if) 100,000 come at the end of this year, ignoring the airline issues, at what point is Thailand going to completely abandon its entry requirements to make the tourists come and the airlines start arriving as before.

Way I see it is that to hit 14 million they are going to have to have all the airlines flying into Thailand by end of March and entry requirements nearly all gone. As getting near 14,000,000 if only 100,000-200,000 come in the first Q next year, is not possible. Carrying on with the entry requirements next year will lead to less than 500,000 - and Thailand cannot afford that in 2022.

Drop the daft entry requirements and the airlines will start coming - airlines it appears have more grip on reality than the TAT.

end of march? welcome to the smoke

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stoker58 said:

In 2022 only one planeload of tourists will land in Thailand but they’ll all be multi billionaires.

Judging by the TAT projected amount they will spend in total presumably with 2 cases full of money each. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He disclosed that the lowest point for the aviation industry in Thailand was from July to September, this year, after the Thai government suspended all regular flights as a precautionary measure to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, during which average daily arrivals at the six international airports was only 50 passengers

Isn't that when Phipats master plan in Phuket was up and running?

Hmmm..I will sit it out until Feb until I do a return visit After Christmas to see my family and friends. I think a lot of countries will have to fine tune their procedures to avoid massive cues.

Similarly airlines need to open up direct routes…only then will I travel.

Somehow i think coming in and out of Thailand might be the least of my problems.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fusion58 said:

Wait a minute…

If they do this, then who will transport the million wealthy foreigners Thailand is expecting any day now? ????

Private plane of course, didn't you read that in the fine-print outlining the  conditions of visa / entry etc.? 

4 hours ago, smedly said:

well some head of TAT said 2 weeks ago - bars are closed forever we don't want them - that was probably one of the stupidest statements I have ever heard come from a Thai official ever and that takes some doing

I saw that comment from some youngish looking guy with a big smile on his face, I cannot imagine anyone I know coming to Thailand if they couldn’t have a drink.

Thinking back over the years I don’t recall any comment from TAT that had any connection to reality.

6 hours ago, fusion58 said:

You mean no one wants to deal with the constantly moving goal posts and jump through the interminable hoops required to enter Thailand?

Gee, who could’ve predicted that?

It's the same around the world...not unique to Thailand.

• Like 1

I know 3 guys from my old home town who come to Pattaya for " the fun" as nothing is open they are not going to come even if there is no quarantine ,my daughter snd family will come just to see us,but there is nothing to do , so why would most people bother to come to Thailand?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

...so why would most people bother to come to Thailand?

That's a good question, I wonder the same thing myself.  It's a shadow of its former self for those just seeking two weeks of entertainment.  It's going to be a while for all the activities and venues to start up again.  I mean if you want a deserted beach then its still there, but for those seeking 'fun' its going to be a while.

Edited by Maha Sarakham

5 hours ago, smedly said:

The puritan Prayuth and his merry bunch of CCSA tea sippers are demolishing what is left of the Thai tourist industry brick by brick - why can they not see it 

They can see it it.

It is what they want.

Thailand for the (rich) Thais.

(Lovely turn of phrase by the way.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Build it and they will come...

keep it closed and they won't.

They have to try something.  

Believe it or not the Thai government is trying to figure this out day by day and given the um, uh, interesting way that they do things.... D :  uh....  it's a lot more weird and doesn't make sense.  (did that sound right?)

Anyways....

They are trying but it won't work.  And their scheme of buying Thai insurance only?  Well, they can go straight to .... 

• Like 1

"AOT operates Suvarnabhumi, Don Muaeng, Phuket, Hat Yai, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai’s Mae Fah Luang international airports. ... He disclosed that the lowest point for the aviation industry in Thailand was from July to September, this year, after the Thai government suspended all regular flights as a precautionary measure to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, during which average daily arrivals at the six international airports was only 50 passengers."

from those airports only BKK and  HKT had international traffic, the rest had not any at all.

Closing domestic routes in the summer had no any impact on international routes.

He is confused. 

International traffic is growing gradually as travel restrictions are systematically lowered in thailand and elsewhere.

Those 20% remaining slots are more than enough for the current level.

Those slots can be reinstated at any time, airlines don't have to wait till April.

One of the thai banks projected 180k tourists in November-December. But now with all delays and uncertainty they would have to adjust.

TAT figures were always taken from the moon.

Even if only some 100k per month do came in 2022 it will be good enough.

And it's not about mass tourism any more, not about bars, alcohol, entertainment, but families visiting each other after 2 years separation, businessmen/traders doing their usual jobs (including conferences, exhibitions, shows), international workers and students travelling in all directions.

Add to it medical tourism, mainly from the Middle East, but also from neighbouring countries coming for long delayed treatments and operations

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XJPSX said:

Hmmm..I will sit it out until Feb until I do a return visit After Christmas to see my family and friends. I think a lot of countries will have to fine tune their procedures to avoid massive cues.

Similarly airlines need to open up direct routes…only then will I travel.

Somehow i think coming in and out of Thailand might be the least of my problems.

Come on - what kind of a game are you playing?