International airlines return 80% of their airport slots in Thailand for the next five months

webfact

4 hours ago, Jerno said:

They want quality tourists who all stay at 5 star hotels and don't drink at bars.  Its simple (mindedness).

This resonates not just Thailand thinking... .....Head of Air New Zealand made similar comments regarding future tourism for New Zealand earlier this year...lets not waste the perfect opportunity given by covid to be more discerning about whom comes... we want only the very wealthy.... that way we can meet our climate change goals and targets and and have fewer flights but bringing big spenders...we don't want the back packers or cheap tourists lowering the standard of New Zealand as he sat in his glass tower office with his 6 figure salary and perks....and Government in NZ gave some backing to this....

• Like 1

Int'l airlines can downsize their planes to Thailand by using turbo-prop sea planes that carry 10 passengers; they won't need a gate at any of the Thai int'l airports. Land off whatever location is desired in the Gulf of Thailand and let the passengers row themselves ashore in a rubber raft.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, internationalism said:

from those airports only BKK and  HKT had international traffic, the rest had not any at all.

Closing domestic routes in the summer had no any impact on international routes.

He is confused. 

He is beyond confused - the information he gave is absolutely untrue, as anyone who lives in Thailand would recognize immediately. I have no idea why the press accepts and prints statements like his so unquestioningly.

• Like 1

B500 mystery tax lol 

Up in (northern Thailand) smoke

This really is a breaking point for me. I lost what modicum of respect I had for this government when that was stated to be implemented. Worse, that minister was pushing b300 for years. It's as though someone said...hell, b300 make it 500 farang have monneee! Now, they get none. WTFU

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Also, easy to fix, just change the test on arrival to one of the very reliable accurate fast response (15 - 20 minutes) tests and add the cost into the ticket price.

Done. 

And still end up with two weeks quarantine if tested positive.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

Let me fix your post:

You mean no one wants to deal with the constantly moving goal posts and jump through the interminable hoops required to enter a deserted, devastated entertainment adult industry, shuttered down for good all across Thailand?

What a surprise!

Imagine jumping through all the expensive hoops only to end up on a deserted Walking Street, Soi Buakhao, Patong, Phuket, etc with a nasty curfew, no alcohol being served in restaurants/dining places and no nightlife at all.

What a bargain!... NOT.

And from my experience just this month in the South of Thailand and various trips around the Northern Thailand in the last 18 months, not much daylife either!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ftpjtm said:

There certainly are some who don't mind the testing, quarantine and insurance requirements. And don't mind vacationing in a country with no night life. 

But apparently the airlines are betting that only 20% of those who traditionally visit Thailand are willing to put up with all of that.

That 20% will be their estimate of a best case scenario and you can bet they have made provision to quickly downsize slots numbers even further when the inevitable catastrophe unfolds.There will be NO high season ,folks. 

It will be interesting to see where we are in a few years.  As it stands today for me, it would be illogical to go back to Thailand and visit friends.  I generally feel like my home is a better place to be.

If Thailand wants to become a relevant tourist destination again, they are going to have to focus on the young crowd and hope they grow up and spend more in Thailand as they get older, just like generations before them.  I think for most people over 40 the luster of Thailand has faded and is unlikely to save the tourism industry.

• Like 1

but this cant be true millions are coming,they told me so and theyre always right,the laws always rules in their favour so it must be so.what is happening?is the sky collapsing,does the emporer have no clothes  but thais are always right theyre never wrong and if you dont like it ....go home.the sky is collapsing and.....the only mass incoming will be yep....them. screaming pushing and demanding,this will be an interesting clash of greed ignorance corruption and racism as an enconomy scoured out by incompetents finds itself laid bare to the wolves,both there own rich ones and the vulturine northern hordes.im sure we will see the 2 sets of chinese  and people in power gang up on the helpless impoverished and disenfranchised and pick the bones clean and if they dont like well.....the same old story,men with guns,round and round we go.

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But will they learn the lesson?

of course they will..

once they realise sandbox 2 isn't any more successful than sandbox 1 (phuket) they'll rapidly roll out "sandbox thailand" to the rest of the provinces and allow the whole world to enter.

glory awaits!

• Haha 1

I don't drink alcohol. But this I know. An integral part of the fantasy vacation to the beach is lounging under an umbrella with a Mai Tai or Blue Hawaiian and watching the waves come in. Just look at the tourist ads. Substituting cold coffee or a Coke isn't going to cut it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fusion58 said:

Wait a minute…

If they do this, then who will transport the million wealthy foreigners Thailand is expecting any day now? ????

They'll all be flying in on their private jets.  Who want's to fly with commoners anyway!

• Haha 1