International airlines return 80% of their airport slots in Thailand for the next five months

webfact

Given that 70% of tourists were coming from China pre-Covid, is it fair to blame Thai policies when China, Aus, NZ and other countries are locked down? 

Even if Thailand eliminated the hurdles, opened the bars and offered free soapies on arrival, the vast majority of tourists can't leave their own countries.  And some that can have to quarantine when they get back home.

15 minutes ago, impulse said:

Given that 70% of tourists were coming from China pre-Covid, is it fair to blame Thai policies when China, Aus, NZ and other countries are locked down? 

Even if Thailand eliminated the hurdles, opened the bars and offered free soapies on arrival, the vast majority of tourists can't leave their own countries.  And some that can have to quarantine when they get back home.

Do you have a source for the 70%?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, edwinchester said:

I think alot of the flights were probably repatriation flights.

Hardly, my wife was travelling to the UK. I think the point is, they got the year wrong - if they'd said 2020, that would be understandable.

Edited by KhaoYai

7 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

I've been in and out of Thailand 30 years and never been to those places. I even lived in Pattaya for five years. Those are pretty low brow activities. Why not try some nature and national parks?? Tons of better stuff to do than that nonsense.

I have done most things, National parks and tons of other stuff, I have driven down to Satun on the border and over to the 3 pagodas on the Burmese border and up to the Mekong river etc etc, unfortunately these days my knees and lower back are very painful & getting worse so hill walking, long treks and the like are a no go I'm afraid.

1 minute ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have done most things, National parks and tons of other stuff, I have driven down to Satun on the border and over to the 3 pagodas on the Burmese border and up to the Mekong river etc etc, unfortunately these days my knees and lower back are very painful & getting worse so hill walking, long treks and the like are a no go I'm afraid.

I have the same problems but still enjoy camping and snorkeling. The tent can be difficult but won't give up on it for another five years.

Hike flat surfaces, avoid inclines obviously.

Best thing I've found for me knees is to continue to walk.

Three pagodas is nothing.

Sometimes you do hit the limit. There's Lao, Cambodia, Vietnam in the region. Indonesia still has some decent snorkeling and adventures. Maldives. Japan is good for a few trips. Korea once maybe. After unlocked my friend and my wife liked PRC but I won't go.

It seems you have seen plenty of the country so my apologies there. I'd felt this way decades ago and always found neighboring the offer better adventures.

On 10/25/2021 at 2:50 AM, ukrules said:

They're being richly rewarded for their policy decisions.

Airlines were already having issues with people being randomly denied entry in Thailand for weird made up reasons.

On 10/25/2021 at 3:02 AM, Tim207 said:

Can you elaborate on this? i have not heard anything about it.

I don't think ukrules has heard anything about it either. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

Here in the east coast of the US we have a minimum of 23 hrs and with layovers it can be as long as 43 hours.

From England  with layovers it can take as long as 15 hours. A lot can happen in 15 -43 hours.

Pay for a decent ticket and you can avoid this. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, 10baht said:

impossible!!

do a search on line. Miami to BKK.

I just did a search and the shortest flight time I could find from Miami was 25 hrs

image.png.c4b1b8c9d9c9543279942987ebdebdd5.png

even with an expensive one stop ticket (only one choice available )'

27 hours was the shortest transit time I could find

image.png.83dbdceb5b9f66986e04d40854ef367d.png

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Having lived in the greater Pattaya area for 10 years & was visiting the same areas for at least 6 years prior to retiring here, I have seen and done every tourist attraction, temple and the whole of the country your statement holds no water, how many times do I have to go to Nong Nooch gardens, Sanctuary of Truth, Mini Siam, et al ??

I have had friends visit us, family visit us, they all demand a guided tour and taxi driver, I am sick to death of people like yourself who blindly state their are plenty of attractions to visit, I've been there, done it & got the T shirt more than once.

Yes, going to temples all day every day is exactly what I was talking about and what all expats and tourists are expected to do.  ????

Replace everything you said that I highlighted in bold with "bar" or "the bar" which is equally ridiculous, and yet that's all many guys who visit and live in Pattaya do all day every day.

Edited by shdmn

Just now, shdmn said:

Yes, going to temples all day every day is what all expats and tourists are expected to do.  ????

Replace everything in bold with "the bar" which is equally ridiculous, and yet that's all most guys who visit Pattaya do.

Seen one, mostly seen them all. And often the hike up to them will deter older tourists.

The big one in Bangkok always seems to be closed and I have to let a tuk-tuk driver take me elsewhere.. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, 10baht said:

My return trip from the US on Delta and Korean air from Seattle, and which is a First Class ticket at that, will take me 26 hours of flight time and then add in the 13 hour time difference for a total of 39 hours since take off and landing here in Thailand.  If I tested and was lucky to get the results back the day before my flight, I would already be at 63 hours plus before I landed in BKK, any flight disruptions or delays could put me seriously close to or over the 72 hours required, the only faster flight would have been strapped to a rocket, so don't go spouting nonsense of buying a decent ticket.  Even in Pre-covid times the flights took the same time.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, impulse said:

yes, and those fully locked down countries could very well end up on red  lists in the future due to booms in covid because of said lockdowns and low herd immunity. Cases already starting on the up even though no travellers incoming

13 hours ago, impulse said:

70% of the tourists were not coming from China, pre-covid.  In 2019, there were about 40 million arrivals.  A little less than 11 million were from China.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Farangus said:

As far as I understand, we are always talking about the test 72 hours BEFORE the departure time from the 1st airport, and not about 72 hours before the ARRIVAL at the final airport. Therefore, the calculation of travel time does not make sense...

Correct, but I was responding to another post where they alluded to 72 hours prior to arrival.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

Don't need landing slots if nobody's flying.

Pictures from Oct 20. Bangkok airport dead as a dodo. Very few shops open, the majority boarded up. Narita, not quite as deserted, some shops open but not boarded up like Bangkok. Vancouver, bustling busy arrivals and departures.

Udon Thani to Bangkok Oct 19, full flight. No empty seats

Bangkok to Narita had maybe 40 passengers in a 787, a row to stretch out in for everyone.

Narita to Vancouver maybe 100 pass. in a 787

Vancouver to Edmonton, full flight.

20211020_054855_resized.jpg

20211020_054906_resized.jpg

20211020_055909_resized.jpg

I think what you witnessed is the reality right now.

I work for Delta and we also service the United contract at our station. 

We saw our busiest summer season ever, but we are a domestic only station.

I was on a United conference call last week and the consensus across the network was that domestic traffic has rebounded to pre-covid levels, whereas International is shaky at best.

For United at least they seem to be making tentative steps to restart international routes, but it's very very selective.

At the end of the day, airlines are for profit enterprises, not some charity.  They tend to have pretty sophisticated load planning tools to predict future passenger loads.

When I was at work last week I was scanning both Delta(skyteam) and United(star alliance) to see what flights might be available in December, since my wife wants a trip home.

Pretty slim pickings.

So looking into my crystal ball, I think across the globe you will see domestic loads looking pretty good going forward, but for international, especially long haul, we have a ways to go before any normality returns

One last point. The other notable thing I got out of that conference call was that business travel is really still in the doldrums.

I know many of you think that your economy seat is paying the airline bills, but far from it.

Airlines need to fill revenue business and first seats to basically subsidize the folks back in cattle class

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, impulse said:

Well, I will say this: 

I traveled to BKK in July from Turkey with 4 hour layover in Doha.  Doha airport was as full as I have ever seen an airport.  Food court full, not easy to find space for family of five to sit for awhile.

There are people traveling so every country is not locked down......

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

will take me 26 hours of flight time and then add in the 13 hour time difference for a total of 39 hours since take off and landing here in Thailand.

You calculation skills amaze me. Going back I guess will only take you 13 hours. Faster than a rocket. And by the way, the 72 hours required is just for boarding your flight, not landing in Thailand.

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

I just did a search and the shortest flight time I could find from Miami was 25 hrs

That's a very good time. Excellent in fact. But the original post , which I can't find, was talking about twice that amount of that time. From just about anywhere except the west coast a time of less than 24 hours is outstanding.

On 10/25/2021 at 1:05 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Having lived in the greater Pattaya area for 10 years & was visiting the same areas for at least 6 years prior to retiring here, I have seen and done every tourist attraction, temple and the whole of the country your statement holds no water, how many times do I have to go to Nong Nooch gardens, Sanctuary of Truth, Mini Siam, et al ??

I have had friends visit us, family visit us, they all demand a guided tour and taxi driver, I am sick to death of people like yourself who blindly state their are plenty of attractions to visit, I've been there, done it & got the T shirt more than once.

The problem with your post is you're not the typical tourist--you're a long-term resident.  I imagine someone living in Orlando might be wailing your same lament.  "If I have to take one more relative or visiting friend to Disney I'm going to slit my throat with a dull knife." 

The tourist sites no longer hold any fascination for you but most tourists will enjoy the places you mentioned--and others.  After all this time you've likely forgotten how interesting Thailand was on your very first visit.  Think back.  I know for me it was all new and fascinating--and it still is when I visit places I haven't been to before.  That's the way it is for most first-time tourists.

Most tourists do 'one and done' tours.  Many have a bucket list of places they want to see--once-- before they die.   My 4 sisters visited me in 2017 and we toured places in Thailand and we also took a side trip to Cambodia to see Angkor Wat.  They had a wonderful time--including at Nong Nooch Gardens and Sanctuary of Truth.  Will any of them ever go back to Angkor Wat?  Not likely.  Nong Nooch Gardens or the other places they saw here?  No.  Instead, it's on to the next item on their travel bucket lists--and we've all lost nearly two years of international travel with covid.    

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, 10baht said:

You calculation skills amaze me. Going back I guess will only take you 13 hours. Faster than a rocket. And by the way, the 72 hours required is just for boarding your flight, not landing in Thailand.

Of course when I head to the US my flight leaves at 1 am and I land at 10:30 am the same day so only a 9 and a half hour flight when you deduct the time changes going in reverse. Get a full nights sleep on the long flight from South Korea and enjoy the whole day without any jet lag on arrival. I knew the 72 hours is from Covid test time to flying out, I was adding on to the thread as discussed, just thought your post could use some enlightenment.

Edited by ThailandRyan

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

impossible!!

do a search on line. Miami to BKK.

image.png.c4b1b8c9d9c9543279942987ebdebdd5.png

even with an expensive one stop ticket (only one choice available )'

27 hours was the shortest transit time I could find

image.png.83dbdceb5b9f66986e04d40854ef367d.png

I think he's under the impression that the plane flies faster in 1st class than it does back in steerage. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, newnative said:

The problem with your post is you're not tþhe typical tourist--you're a long-term resident.  I imagine someone living in Orlando might be wailing your same lament.  "If I have to take one more relative or visiting friend to Disney I'm going to slit my throat with a dull knife." 

The tourist sites no longer hold any fascination for you but most tourists will enjoy the places you mentioned--and others.  After all this time you've likely forgotten how interesting Thailand was on your very first visit.  Think back.  I know for me it was all new and fascinating--and it still is when I visit places I haven't been to before.  That's the way it is for most first-time tourists.

Most tourists do 'one and done' tours.  Many have a bucket list of places they want to see--once-- before they die.   My 4 sisters visited me in 2017 and we toured places in Thailand and we also took a side trip to Cambodia to see Angkor Wat.  They had a wonderful time--including at Nong Nooch Gardens and Sanctuary of Truth.  Will any of them ever go back to Angkor Wat?  Not likely.  Nong Nooch Gardens or the other places they saw here?  No.  Instead, it's on to the next item on their travel bucket lists--and we've all lost nearly two years of international travel with covid.    

No bars...no booze...no entertainment. 

Why would anyone want to come to Thailand for a holiday?

Because maybe they are not an alcoholic and/or sex addict.  There is a lot more to Thailand than bars and broads.  Even just in Pattaya.  I am sure that will fall on deaf ears to the whiner crowd around here.

You make a valid point, however he was replying to Wombat who as far as I can tell is a long term expat, so I don't think his remarks were for tourists, yes there is plenty to do here & around d the country as a whole, but when you've done it God knows how many times it gets really really boring ???? but hey, it's a forum for members views ????

Edited by Golden Triangle