International airlines return 80% of their airport slots in Thailand for the next five months

webfact

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

My return trip from the US on Delta and Korean air from Seattle, and which is a First Class ticket at that, will take me 26 hours of flight time and then add in the 13 hour time difference for a total of 39 hours since take off and landing here in Thailand.  If I tested and was lucky to get the results back the day before my flight, I would already be at 63 hours plus before I landed in BKK, any flight disruptions or delays could put me seriously close to or over the 72 hours required, the only faster flight would have been strapped to a rocket, so don't go spouting nonsense of buying a decent ticket.  Even in Pre-covid times the flights took the same time.

Now now...surely the time difference is not added on to the time limit....

On 10/25/2021 at 12:20 PM, NanaSomchai said:

Fun fact: The first Thai girl I brought over to Europe, it took me weeks of arguing with her and explaining to her the general concept of "what a retirement pension is", she somehow could not understand no matter how hard she tried the general idea and concept of having your government essentially paying you a pension at retirement age based on your work history. She kept repeating "pay me for what?", "pay for what?", "I too old already pay for what?".

Did you guys do the voice when reading this? I know I did. 

• Haha 1

On 10/25/2021 at 1:29 AM, koele2 said:

Most of the big wigs here never got past basic algebra in school.  They all graduated top of their class in butt kissing and nepotism.  That’s why we have millions of tourists expected to arrive next year apparently with no airplanes to transport them here.

brains like sludge living in ivory towers

On 10/25/2021 at 7:01 AM, kiwikeith said:

I agree, you don't need another rt-pcr after getting one 72 hours, b4 take off, but someone is going to make money out of these tests, the taxi to the hotel and the hotel will probably have above normal rates, when you leave the hotel they give you a portable test kit as well included in the package, which seems like a well planned money grabbing exercise.

My friend paid 12000 Bhat for a taxi(provided by the hotel) from BK MIQ hotel to Sakhon Nakhon, where he lives, he was lucky to get back and never flinched he was just happy to get home

12000, for a taxi seems a little excessive to me, but what do I know. 

2 hours ago, newnative said:

I think he's under the impression that the plane flies faster in 1st class than it does back in steerage. 

personally I like the back of the plane.

have you ever heard of a plane backing into a mountain?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

personally I like the back of the plane.

have you ever heard of a plane backing into a mountain?  

Put it this way.

Plough into a mountain and you live 2 seconds longer than those in first class!

• Haha 1

On 10/25/2021 at 2:56 AM, fusion58 said:

Wait a minute…

If they do this, then who will transport the million wealthy foreigners Thailand is expecting any day now? ????

Oh, but you should know...They already told you. They will all arrive on their private planes...

On 10/25/2021 at 8:16 AM, DrPhibes said:
On 10/25/2021 at 7:05 AM, Golden Triangle said:

Having lived in the greater Pattaya area for 10 years & was visiting the same areas for at least 6 years prior to retiring here, I have seen and done every tourist attraction, temple and the whole of the country your statement holds no water, how many times do I have to go to Nong Nooch gardens, Sanctuary of Truth, Mini Siam, et al ??

I have had friends visit us, family visit us, they all demand a guided tour and taxi driver, I am sick to death of people like yourself who blindly state their are plenty of attractions to visit, I've been there, done it & got the T shirt more than once.

Expand  Expand  

Welcome to my life in Chiang Mai!  If I never go back to Doi Suthep, elephant camp, and temples with family and friends, it will be too soon.

What's the Thai phrase for 'pussy whipped' then?

On 10/24/2021 at 3:38 PM, NanaSomchai said:

Let me fix your post:

You mean no one wants to deal with the constantly moving goal posts and jump through the interminable hoops required to enter a deserted, devastated entertainment adult industry, shuttered down for good all across Thailand?

What a surprise!

Imagine jumping through all the expensive hoops only to end up on a deserted Walking Street, Soi Buakhao, Patong, Phuket, etc with a nasty curfew, no alcohol being served in restaurants/dining places and no nightlife at all.

What a bargain!... NOT.

What fantasy do you live in?  No one comes to Thailand for the things you mentioned.  This is a country where hard-working families come to vacation on the beautiful beaches, and swim in the beautiful sea.

<insert sarcasm emoji>

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Put it this way.

Plough into a mountain and you live 2 seconds longer than those in first class!

oh but the front may land on the top of the mountain and the tail section may fall off of the cliff, of course my friends pet turtle told me this.

27 minutes ago, chaihot said:

What fantasy do you live in?  No one comes to Thailand for the things you mentioned.  This is a country where hard-working families come to vacation on the beautiful beaches, and swim in the beautiful sea.

<insert sarcasm emoji>

I do not see your comment as sarcasm, I know plenty of olks that travel here for a nice family trip, head to Chiang Rai, tour the tea farms, head to Ayutthya for a visit before slipping over the border and back from Siem Riep, then to BKK to visit locales, and then head to Phuket for a week to relax at the beach.  Sure you have your mongers but they do not outnumber the tourists who do not come to sit in bars and act like 2 week millionaires.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Also don't forget the cohort that do both.

Yes there are those of course, but then the folks must enjoy the swinging lifestyle and have an open relationship.  Now if they are single folks then they want the full immersed experience....lol, yes true sarcasm

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I do not see your comment as sarcasm, I know plenty of olks that travel here for a nice family trip, head to Chiang Rai, tour the tea farms, head to Ayutthya for a visit before slipping over the border and back from Siem Riep, then to BKK to visit locales, and then head to Phuket for a week to relax at the beach.  Sure you have your mongers but they do not outnumber the tourists who do not come to sit in bars and act like 2 week millionaires.

Well said.  Thank you. 

On 10/26/2021 at 2:08 AM, newnative said:

70% of the tourists were not coming from China, pre-covid.  In 2019, there were about 40 million arrivals.  A little less than 11 million were from China.  

How many of those 40 million were airline arrivals and how many were border crossings from Malaysia, Burma, Cambodia and Laos?   Obviously, they won't be returning airport slots for the millions crossing over land borders.

All I recall is that several tourism officials claimed that 70% of their arrivals were from China.  The forum's search function has been pretty useless for years, so I'm not going to bother looking it up.  I still contend that Thailand could do everything right, and international air arrivals would still be in the crapper because of what's happening on the other end of each flight.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

How many of those 40 million were airline arrivals and how many were border crossings from Malaysia, Burma, Cambodia and Laos?   Obviously, they won't be returning airport slots for the millions crossing over land borders.

All I recall is that several tourism officials claimed that 70% of their arrivals were from China.  The forum's search function has been pretty useless for years, so I'm not going to bother looking it up.  I still contend that Thailand could do everything right, and international air arrivals would still be in the crapper because of what's happening on the other end of each flight.

Random 'tourism officials' can 'claim' anything.  Another poster on the forum 'claims' that Pattaya western tourism was down, pre-covid, because he thought a certain sports bar he visited wasn't as busy as before.  I try to use more official documentation and more legitimate documentation if it's available.  What I find interesting is that even when you subtract the 4 countries you mentioned, Malaysia, Burma, Cambodia, and Laos, there were 9.7 million arrivals in 2019 from other Asian countries, not including China.  Obviously, not all the Asian tourists we were looking at were from China.

I totally agree with you that international tourism will be bad until Thailand makes the process much easier on the other end--with no insurance, no testing, no Thailand Pass, no hotel and flight pre-booking, no anything else except be fully vaccinated. 

• Like 1