Foreigners eager to visit to Thailand, but few have actually booked flights: Poll

webfact

34 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Today I have spent several hours booking a sha+ AQ hotel for 1 night. Bought the required covid insurance too. I already had the flight tickets (extended from 12 months ago to 3rd November) and non-o extension of stay (until May 2022). Even with the above and my tenacity in navigating beaurocracy and determination to return to my second home, I wonder is it worth the effort for 5 weeks stay! I'm not bothered about bars being officially closed (know plenty of places to have fun) but there is no way a 2 week "Tourist" would go through all of this. I submitted a COE application this afternoon in hope it may be accepted in advance of the Thai Pass being open for applications. Even then, I still have to get a PCR test before being allowed to board the plane in London. No tourist is going to go through all the hassle and cost. No wonder very few have booked and paid for flights yet. Easier places to travel to for winter sun closer to home for most. 

May I ask where you found a 1 night SHA+ hotel in Bkk?

Got eberything done but hotel.

36 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Today I have spent several hours booking a sha+ AQ hotel for 1 night. Bought the required covid insurance too. I already had the flight tickets (delayed from 12 months ago) and extension of stay (until May 2022). Even with the above and my tenacity in navigating beaurocracy and determination to return to my second home, I wonder is it worth the effort for 5 weeks stay. I'm not bothered about bars being officially closed (know plenty of places to have fun) but there is no way a 2 week "Tourist" would go through all of this. I submitted a COE application this afternoon in hope it may be accepted in advance of the Thai Pass being open for applications. Even then, I still have to get a PCR test before being allowed to board the plane in London. No tourist is going to go through all the hassle and cost. No wonder very few have booked and paid for flights yet. Easier places to travel to for winter sun closer to home for most. 

I agree, 

we went through the process last spring, and it would take a very determined tourist to go through through the process as it exists now. 

Let's hope that the new "Thai Pass" makes things easier.

About the travel 50k insurance?

I initially thought that it was general health insurance and not limited to covid coverage. As I read more, I am no longer sure.

Can you confirm, and what was the cost

Thank you????

11 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Learnt today that all TG flights to/from Germany have been moved from Nov.  to start January. Travel agent told me that Thai never reimbursed unused flight tix. Beware.

Is why you always use a credit card and let them contest the charge ,as the CC co is lending you that money

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

This now confirms at 100% that Thailand has entered a totalitarism authoritarian era.

GPS, facetracking, position tracking, no cap, no sunglasses, no eyeglasses, must be turned on at all times, uses your dataplan at your own expense, etc, etc, etc.

We have now entered a new era, the Chinese masters will be pleased.

I'm done with Thailand. I know I've said this before, but this time, I really mean it.

Looks similar to the existing app? I used this during my April - July visit. Not once did anyone ask to see it, including airport immigration. And I never received any notifications. Re the photo, that's standard for any visa / passport pic (no cap, glasses, etc.). I downloaded the app on my iPad (it kept crashing on my smartphone), and left it on all day in my room (I was using it all the time anyways, but never took it outside). Agree with your other comments though. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, webfact said:

According to a straw poll

Pool, shmoll, no one I know was contacted (polled) and hoops and "rules" and COE ( oh! yes , they changed the name) Thai Pass , and up load this & upload that , prepay this and that ... Too much BS and no one's coming. Just make it simple. Oh yea, money grab covid test. So they make a few baht from a few people, but many don't come and spend lots of baht. Great idea.

Countries with absolutely no access or entry rules are struggling, provided they locked down their place for a certain period of time. Only those places which were always open (Caribbean/Dominican Republic springs to mind) reported staggering business better than usual. Check on i.e. Bali - dead as well despite doing everything possible to lure tourists (albeit not in the tens of millions as the TAT boys dream of all the time). 

Throw those to-be-written-off airfares of local carriers and no refund of prepaid hotels (Agoda) into the equation and you book, pay and board on the day of departure - at least that is how I've been traveling for the last 18 months. The costs went also through the roof, a preflight PCR exercise of a family of 2 adults and three teenagers clock USD 1,000 - to be added to the traveling expenses. 

Many of those dreadful dirty farang you try to win back have found alternatives which suit them, for whatever reason, better so my unimportant piece of advice would be; go back to the drawing board and start back on Square One with basics of a good product-price ratio, one-tier pricing, keep visa regulations reasonable for those who stay for i.e. more than three months, clear the police in general and immigration in particular of corruption and replicate, what your parents knew and did 30+ years ago with "Amazing Thailand"! Ah, and tell your people to stop bashing on everything they do not know or understand. 

Wishful dreaming, I know, hence keep whining. Wondering when Khon Thai will revolt and hold the government responsible for all this. The governmental answer will be, that they opened the country in time but those terrible farangs are impossible to please and did not arrive, despite 200 million Baht NYE show with Lisa and Bocelli and all the other good ideas the government had for its people! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1