Home Solar Upgrade

23 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I have been planning to do a video on this for some time, but I am not sure how to make it without me just talking over a bunch of numbers on a  spreadsheet.

First thing to do is to determine what load you need to cover from the batteries. I use a device with CT clamps to monitor power use by the house and a second for my EV charging. An easy example would be assuming a 1kW load all night. (This is just an assumption for example purposes only)

1036408250_PowerUseatNight.thumb.png.b28232e236ffb89b4a4f1d8247a4b503.png

Next determine how many hours will the house be running off batteries, this will vary from summer to winter. It is best to ignore the first and last hour of the day that your solar is producing.

20211121_231034000_iOS.thumb.png.f31d77e64622c7ae68c6dcb7f9d90751.png

So let's assume 14 hours need to be covered at 1kW usage i.e. 14kWh.  Let's assume you initially plan to buy 2x9kWh lithium batteries =18kWh you would probably think that this would easily cover night time usage of 14kWh

First thing to consider is depth of discharge. Lithium is normally good for 80% DOD so your 18kwh is now down to 14.4kWh. However, your inverter may have it's own idea of what the DOD of your batteries should be. The Growatts stop discharging from Li batteries when they get to 22% state of charge (setting #12) 18kWh x 78% = 14.04kWh.

20230112_081648396_iOS.thumb.jpg.22aeb4de1f175cfbe8722d493dab14d9.jpg

Next you have to consider the efficiency of the inverter. There is always some efficiency loss when converting from DC to AC.

20230112_072403287_iOS.jpg.cac97bc3a93d8857641fb0b82d171dd4.jpg

The Growatts have a peak efficiency of 93% - it may drop lower than this but let's use 93% for now. 14.04kWh x 93% = 13.06kWh

Another factor that is often overlooked is that the inverters require power to run and this is not included in the inverting efficiency. The power used by the inverters is not included in the household load calculations. which is measured after power has been sent from the inverters.

20230112_082536848_iOS.jpg.1465f2f206d175af02dc3084e89af753.jpg 

60 Watts, so 2 inverters would use 120 Watts per hour x 14 hours  =1.68kWh 

13.06kWh - 1.68kWh = 11.38kWh useable power from 2x9kWh lithium batteries over 14 hours. So you probably need 3 and not 2 x 9kWh batteries. 

Thanks for that info Bandersnatch. Your inverters is not connected to the grid if i have understood correct? 

Pink

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

@Pink7

As is ours, though as B is, we're still conx to PEA.  I think this month will have -0- use, or maybe 1 kW/unit, as wouldn't want them to think it's broke and replace it.   Though they may screw up and give us a 'spinning' meter.    That would be nice.

Past couple months, our PEA bill was about 20 units and around the 100 baht mark.   As we have an EV, and new wall charger (7.4kW) for that, which is on the grid.  Did test and use a couple times, hence the past couple usage bills from PEA.  Unless needing a fast top up for the EV, we won't be using the EV wall charger, or the grid at all in the future.

Thats  nice that you able to reduce PEA to near zero. I want to try run my Growatt inverters without grid connect for less chance for any issues so i try double check my plans before next step. My plan is 9.5 kw panels and 26kw (2 x280A 48v) battery. We currently use 20-25kw per day from PEA. How this will ad up ..or not with different weather types i dont have much idea on..Time will show.

Pink

Pink

34 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

How this will ad up ..or not with different weather types i dont have much idea on

The last time I drew power from the grid was during Super Typhoon Noru in September last year. 3 hours after I started to use grid power the grid went down for 8 hours.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2023 at 7:04 PM, Bandersnatch said:

The last time I drew power from the grid was during Super Typhoon Noru in September last year. 3 hours after I started to use grid power the grid went down for 8 hours.

With grid in to inverter turned off on breaker you still connected to grid ground/earth?

Pink

1 hour ago, Pink7 said:

With grid in to inverter turned off on breaker you still connected to grid ground/earth?

Pink

Yes, as the breaker box on the wall inside house is the grounding, to earthing rod.   We have a breaker on the inside of the perimeter wall, about 2 meter length of wire from the PEA meter.  That's where I turn off the grid.

Then on the breaker box, it has the lead in for grid and solar, with their own breakers, incase you wish to turn one off.   Some folks without solar, will dedicate the other breaker to an external generator.

With that, the house should be grounded, hopefully avoid any electrocutions from appliance.   Though all bets off, if house hit by lightening.  Not a whole lot will protect you from that, except luck.  If so, hopefully not too much gets fried, component wise.

ESSs for us, igniting, would be the biggest issue, as they are located indoors, in the entrance foyer ????

Edited by KhunLA

46 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

ESSs for us, igniting, would be the biggest issue, as they are located indoors, in the entrance foyer ????

If they are LiFePO4 rather than Li-ion there's very little risk of them going into thermal-runaway ???? 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

With that, the house should be grounded, hopefully avoid any electrocutions from appliance. 

Would point out modern hybrid inverters are very quick to turn themselves off in the event of a problem. 

My kid managed to short out her bedroom socket shortly after I installed the system.

All the electricity was turned off and alarms blaring before any breakers flipped.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

My solar system and house electrics have separate ground rods.

I has start thinking about doing same. Do you have same ground for inverters and surge arresters or they are separate grounds?

Pink

Edited by Pink7

15 hours ago, Pink7 said:

I has start thinking about doing same. Do you have same ground for inverters and surge arresters or they are separate grounds?

Pink

A ground rod was installed when my first solar system was fitted. My installer added a second when my system was expanded in 2021. I can’t remember now what the setup was, sorry. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Quick summary of the cost of my system and payback

Payback:
Main Components
20,000 Watts of PV @ ฿9/W = ฿180,000
9kWh LiFePO4 Batteries ฿68,000 x 3 = ฿204,000
Inverters ฿36,000 x 3 = ฿108,000
= ฿492,000

Savings: 
Gasohol saving ฿5,000/month
PEA saving ฿3,500/month
= ฿8,500/month 

฿102,000/Year saving 
Payback = 5 Years

these figures are over a year old so have changed a bit.

But the gasohol savings are not really (or not entirely) a result of installing solar. Even without installing solar, you could still have bought an EV replacing your THB 5k gasohol bill with lets say an additional THB 2k on your PEA bill for charging. 

In reality, only THB 2k of your savings on transportation costs is down to installing solar, the remaining THB 3k is because you invested in an electric vehicle. So your monthly savings from installing solar is THB 5.5k giving a payback time of 7.5 years.

Note, I don't know how many kWh you use driving, so the THB 2k I quoted is just an example.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sophon said:

Note, I don't know how many kWh you use driving, so the THB 2k I quoted is just an example.

We had the MG ZS ICE for 2 years prior to getting the EV version.   Put shy of 20k kms on average those 2 years, so just shy of 40k kms when sold.

Didn't get best kpL, and averaged 10 kpl.

20k ÷ 10 kpL = 2000 X ฿35 = 70k ÷ 12 months = ฿5833 monthly

To be fair, half of our kms are out & about, overnight, but when local, we topped up the ICE twice a month, locally, unless overnighting somewhere afar..   Staying local, we energize 100% with solar at home.

Now I drive a lot more, locally, since it cost nothing, as long as less than 250 kms r/t, which we do now, since it's basically free, charging back at the house w/solar. 

Nothing while out for the day w/ICE, a view, coffee shop, a munch, is worth paying ฿875 (25 L X ฿35) to go to, locally.  Now we do.  Actually the best part of having the EV, as I'll actually explore locally.

When overnighting, and further destinations, Charging Station vs Petrol, much cheaper, but that's for another thread.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Likewise, I am always getting the spanish inquistion on what I paid for my solar system and what the payback is. Fortunately it is pretty easy to calulate the savings = Previous PEA Bill + Previous Gasohol Bill neither of which I pay now thanks to solar.

Funny that nobody ever asks what I pay for water security. Admittedly we are not on city water so I would have to do something, but most people around here have a small surface pump and a 20m well and when it dries up they get water trucked in. The fact that the trucks look identical to the “Honey Trucks” that are used to empty septic tanks doesn’t seem to bother them.

What i’ve done is a bit more expensive, but it gives me drinking water; household water and water for the garden.

1E306F56-2CF7-43B0-B673-818715D1690C.thumb.jpeg.8221c138b1d8bf32e64ab8d95af9c4f5.jpeg2C438FCF-964B-4C84-ACE5-FA18218D9550.jpeg.6ff938e3689f378f8319beccf80815f2.jpeg32A676DE-57DB-499F-B662-38F33204860B.thumb.jpeg.a95d2eeed27ba70be9a365acfa28622d.jpegCFCC3FF0-359C-421F-954A-10336F1D38AB.thumb.jpeg.0b10b21b01062f95ba125733a9b62aff.jpeg

I have a few water thanks myself and a purifier for drinking water and i use to tell wife that this is best investment ever so we could stop buying water bottles.

Pink

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

I have a few water thanks myself and a purifier for drinking water and i use to tell wife that this is best investment ever so we could stop buying water bottles.

Pink

Water tanks ...

37 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

Pink

Same same here.  Think we have six 2k L tanks, and strictly for drinking rain water once passed through 2 stage counter top filter.  Far less PPM than filtered tap water, and damn near free ???? vs bottled from Makro.

On topic ... same as solar or EV, a larger initial investment, that will pay for itself for decades.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

How do you guys handle the initial rain water collection?

I suppose you have a metal roof.

So the first rain, takes all the bird <deleted> and dust away. How do you switch to fill the "clean" water in your big bottles ?Or do you have a filter?

On 1/30/2023 at 10:18 PM, TronxII said:

How do you guys handle the initial rain water collection?

I suppose you have a metal roof.

So the first rain, takes all the bird <deleted> and dust away. How do you switch to fill the "clean" water in your big bottles ?Or do you have a filter?

I have a "first flush" system. I also have 2 separate filter systems  - one for household water and one for drinking.

The first flush system leaves any dirt at the bottom of the first flush and opening the valve flushes it away. I tend to open for the first rain of the season and a couple of times after that.

20190627_091928278_iOS.jpg.fb82880f182af5ee1df3a6dfe626db19.jpg20190627_091949237_ios.thumb.jpg.53eb1e4c57c5b58054a9b05c62a7cc1e.jpg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Maybe we should add "off-grid living" to the forum heading?

And "teotwawki prepping"?

I'm prepped ... Solar, transport & drinking water

... garden is getting there.  Daughter pointed out our greenhouse (45+m²) will be 50% larger than her condo ????

Plenty of blades to deal with the walkers ????

image.png.0bd30083f24fb5bb293e076cd15eeb21.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1