Thailand Pass To Entice More International Tourists

snoop1130

On 10/27/2021 at 7:24 PM, 2 is 1 said:

Better if they make own travel bubble in airport! Use ATK test and put peple who get positive test result in PCR test. All other can wait in bubble.

images.jpeg.5ce3dd79cad3e37b91fdbcedb1aeb5ad.jpeg

I had a minor surgery the other day, I am double vaccinated with AZ, but Dr wanted a test. OK no problems, thing up my nose, 15 minutes or so later, nurse said "all good, you're negative".

Aren't test sold for about 180 Baht roughly? 

WHATS THE BIG DEAL??? It's not like they wanted to do a colonoscopy! 

Maybe this Thailand Pass is enticing more international tourists but the conditions might deter more than one when made aware of them.

I have just got an email from a company dealing with the matter,  pointing out the restrictions, sorry, the conditions: Medical certificate needed on top of the 72 hour PCR test prior to departure, one PCR upon arrival and an antigene six days later

In bold in the following text

3. A Certificate of Vaccination (fully vaccinated)

4. Hotel Payment Confirmation
A payment confirmation .........cover both the 1-night accommodation, the required RT-PCR COVID-19 test, and an Antigen Test Kit (ATK).

5. Medical Certificate with an RT-PCR lab result
A Medical Certificate with an RT-PCR lab result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected issued no more than 72 hours before travelling.

6. Health Insurance
........ as soon as Thailand Pass System becomes available, an insurance policy with coverage clearly identified as no less than US$50,000 (which should cover the cost of the treatment and other medical expenses associated with being infected with COVID-19, including in-patient hospitalisation for the whole duration in Thailand) will be allowed. (Source: https://www.tatnews.org/2021/10/quarantine-free-thailand-reopening-for-vaccinated-tourists-from-1-november-2021/)

7. Entry Screening
Undergo health screening and Immigration procedures upon arrival .......... then proceed directly by the approved airport transfer to the pre-arranged COVID-19 test center, or the reserved accommodation and undergo the required RT-PCR COVID-19 test on Day 0-1.

8. Mobile Application Requirement
Travellers must download and install the specified alert application (MorChana), and must wait within the accommodation only for the test result, which should be available within the day.

9. Negative test result
If testing negative for COVID-19, travellers can go anywhere in Thailand.
- Each traveller will receive an ATK that they have prepaid when booking the accommodation.
- Any traveller experiencing COVID-19 symptoms must immediately get a test done, using the provided ATK. If experiencing no symptoms, travellers must use the provided ATK for COVID-19 self-testing on Day 6-7 and show the result to staff at the hotel or accommodation, as well as record the result (bot detected and non-detected) in the MorChana App.
- Hotel/AQ staff must recommend that travellers self-monitor themselves for at least 7 days. If any traveller experiences COVID-19 symptoms, Hotel/AQ staff must immediately notify the officer in charge of communicable disease control in their respective area.

4 minutes ago, alyx said:

Maybe this Thailand Pass is enticing more international tourists but the conditions might deter more than one when made aware of them.

I have just got an email from a company dealing with the matter,  pointing out the restrictions, sorry, the conditions: Medical certificate needed on top of the 72 hour PCR test prior to departure, one PCR upon arrival and an antigene six days later

A payment confirmation .........cover both the 1-night accommodation, the required RT-PCR COVID-19 test, and an Antigen Test Kit (ATK).

A Medical Certificate with an RT-PCR lab result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected issued no more than 72 hours before travelling.

6. Health Insurance
........ as soon as Thailand Pass System becomes available, an insurance policy with coverage clearly identified as no less than US$50,000 (which should cover the cost of the treatment and other medical expenses associated with being infected with COVID-19, including in-patient hospitalisation for the whole duration in Thailand) will be allowed. (Source: https://www.tatnews.org/2021/10/quarantine-free-thailand-reopening-for-vaccinated-tourists-from-1-november-2021/)

7. Entry Screening
Undergo health screening and Immigration procedures upon arrival .......... then proceed directly by the approved airport transfer to the pre-arranged COVID-19 test center, or the reserved accommodation and undergo the required RT-PCR COVID-19 test on Day 0-1.

Travellers must download and install the specified alert application (MorChana), and must wait within the accommodation only for the test result, which should be available within the day.

9. Negative test result
- Each traveller will receive an ATK that they have prepaid when booking the accommodation.
- Any traveller experiencing COVID-19 symptoms must immediately get a test done, using the provided ATK. If experiencing no symptoms, travellers must use the provided ATK for COVID-19 self-testing on Day 6-7 and show the result to staff at the hotel or accommodation, as well as record the result (bot detected and non-detected) in the MorChana App.
- Hotel/AQ staff must recommend that travellers self-monitor themselves for at least 7 days. If any traveller experiences COVID-19 symptoms, Hotel/AQ staff must immediately notify the officer in charge of communicable disease control in their respective area.

Hopefully you don't have to show results of ATK test in person to hotel after 6-7 days.

13 hours ago, sirineou said:

This question has been asked and answered in other threads several times, but since you might no have seen it, here it goes.

First the Covid test is given at a foreign  jurisdictions  where Thailand has no control. so for many countries it is a good idea to have a test here , where the outcome can be verified.

Second , even if the first test is valid , It only tells you that you are not infected at the time of the test. A lot can happen in Three day. 

The argument has been made that if you got infected in transit, 72 hours is not sufficient time for the infection to manifest it's self and be detectable by the second test. It is a falsie argument that fails to consider that the same detection parameters that apply to the first test, also apply to the second test . So during the first test , the subject could have also been infected less than three days before the test thus  the infection not detected, potentially  making the time from infection to second test in Thailand  6 days rather than 3. 

So a person can depart with a negative test, but having spend a considerable time in a plane in close conduct with others, then probably having a layover in another foreign airport where said person is exposed to people also transiting from all over the world, has a higher probability of being infected than the general population that has not the same type of exposure, and could by the time he/she arrives test positive and import a new variant into Thailand.  

So all the arriving passengers will be held in quaranteen until all the results are in ?  and  if one passenger is positive  - what happens ?

1 hour ago, alyx said:

6. Health Insurance

7. Entry Screening

9. Negative test result

To be fair, nothing is concrete yet - even though some claim it is. Yes, its 1 November on Monday but its been this way throughout the pandemic - its as if they they think that people are sitting on their suitcases at the airport with their laptops waiting to go. .  There are going to be 3 methods of entry (by air), with 3 different sets of requirements - all we can do is wait. Hopefully things will be clear next week.

2 hours ago, Molly Malone said:

WHATS THE BIG DEAL??? It's not like they wanted to do a colonoscopy! 

The big deal is that the first announcment said Thailand to open without quarantine from 1 November.  The testing is not the issue (at least its not for me), its the fact that since then the requirement for a test on arrival has been tagged on to a 1 night quarantine requirement - that they call 'waiting' not quarantine.  I doubt anyone is going to get a result in 15 minutes as you did.

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2021 at 8:24 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

Now, here's my quandary - You have to take a Covid test and show you're negative to board a plane. What use is another test after getting off the plane other than to generate revenue for the people performing the test? Did I suddenly get Covid from any of the OTHER passengers who ALSO tested negative?

????

Screenshot_20211029-001753_Chrome.jpg

Big issue I have is if you test positive on arrival they cart you off to stay in a hospital for 14 days, irrespective of whether you are ill or not. This will not be cheap and I don't want to spend 14 days in a private hospital if I have no covid symptoms as I am fully vaccinated and unlikely to get very sick (although I understand there is still a risk). Hospital beds are for people who are sick not for fleecing foreigners!

Edited by MaiChai
  • Thanks 1

probably they not have read the news papers of today.

The spike protein of SARS-CoV-2 variant A.30 is heavily mutated and evades vaccine-induced antibodies with high efficiency

In summary, A.30 exhibits a cell line preference not observed for other viral variants and efficiently evades neutralization by antibodies elicited by ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 or BNT162b2 vaccination. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41423-021-00779-5

12 hours ago, Karma80 said:

Which means Thailand will just scrabble around for anyone to come in the middle of pandemic to the epicentre of ASEAN covid where you get locked up at your expense if you test positive.

I'm going to try to be fair to them on that subject - even though I think this whole No Quarantine, Quarantine thing is completely barmy. 

Given that we are not nationals of Thailand and thus have no rights to access their healthcare facilities, it is entirely possible that some of those who test positive might well be glad of the requirement to have insurance for Covid 19.

I honestly can't fault them for requiring travellers to be insured for Covid, I think a lot of countries will do the same in the coming months.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 7:24 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

Now, here's my quandary - You have to take a Covid test and show you're negative to board a plane. What use is another test after getting off the plane other than to generate revenue for the people performing the test? Did I suddenly get Covid from any of the OTHER passengers who ALSO tested negative?

Contact with others in the time between you took your test and boarded the plane with all the others that have the same issue. Also near airport workers and during transit where you're out of the supposed covid negative bubble. It's still probably over kill but better to err on the side if caution. It's only one night and not nearly as bad as a 7 day, or like i did a few months ago, 14 day quarantine

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:

So all the arriving passengers will be held in quaranteen until all the results are in ?  and  if one passenger is positive  - what happens ?

Obviously such person will be held in quarantine until such person tests negative .

What else can there be done? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, skorp13 said:

Contact with others in the time between you took your test and boarded the plane with all the others that have the same issue. Also near airport workers and during transit where you're out of the supposed covid negative bubble. It's still probably over kill but better to err on the side if caution. It's only one night and not nearly as bad as a 7 day, or like i did a few months ago, 14 day quarantine

It is not only the transit time that is problematic, but also the couple of days before you took the first test.

Since it can take as much as 3 days after infection for covid to be detectable by test, it is possible to be infected , let's say, 2 days before you take the first test and not test positive. 

IMO given the covid situation around the world , the current system being implemented is spot on, 

I had doubts about the need for covid insurance, but now that I think more about it, I even think that it's a wise move. 

First the will be a number of false positive tests, then there will be the actual positive tests, In both cases there needs to be a mechanism to pay for the extended quarantine such events will require, 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

Covid test results can be faked and can be bought in the market just like vaccination records. Or it can be real but the procedure was not done properly giving a false negative.

So to be doubly sure, it's better to test again by the authorities in Thailand.

The number of travelers willing to risk thousands of dollars and possible time in a Thai jail by faking a vaccine record is laughable. Again, if you're vaxxed, the risk of getting exposed by someone who had a false negative isn't even worth considering, especially at the cost of killing off tourism.

LIVE IN FEAR! This is what MSM peddles. C'mon, don't fall for their clarion call.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The government might be confident about attracting all these tourists, however that confidence doesn’t seem to be shared by the airlines.

An article in the last week on this site stated that the airlines have given up 80% of their slots at airports in Thailand for the next five months.

10 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:

The all bar one negatives are released I expect. 

• Confused 1

On 10/27/2021 at 7:24 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

Could be you are in the incubation stage at the time of your first test and show negative test!????????

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 9:05 AM, sirineou said:

So a person can depart with a negative test, but having spend a considerable time in a plane in close conduct with others, then probably having a layover in another foreign airport where said person is exposed to people also transiting from all over the world, has a higher probability of being infected than the general population that has not the same type of exposure, and could by the time he/she arrives test positive and import a new variant into Thailand.

One risk not mentioned in the thread is that of getting covid from the aircrew ...

Its a quietly known fact that airlines who are operating at higher capacities have crew infection on an almost daily basis..
Even Singapore Airlines (SQ) which is only operating at 3 -  5% capacity incurred quite a few infections .  ..
The numbers for SQ only surfaced cos the SG health ministry openly publishes the origin of all covid cases that occur on a daily basis .. 

Why are airlines not transparently disclosing the covid nos among their crew   ?
The answer is of cos due to the fear that no one will fly n they will be subject to lawsuits n be made to pay for covid insurance for their passengers if they do so ... 

A previous study found that the original covid strain was able to spread to a breadth of 6 rows up and down from the sitting position of the infected person ; so you bet delta could do far more damage

There have also been several reported cases worldwide of airport maintenance crew  n service personnel being infected with covid  ... so yes, the risks are REAL ... 

One thing that is advised is not to use the airline toilets while on board as these are high risk areas, so this means abstaining from all food n drink before boarding the plane .  
The other is to wear a face shield over the face mask  ...
N of cos there is also the risk of catching covid from the cab driver while on the way to the airport ...

So YES, this unfortunately makes having the 2nd PCR test after the flight really a logical requirement ...

Edited by relax33
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, skorp13 said:

This is the last time I'll say this:

LIVE IN FEAR! That's what MSM wants you to embrace. Whether you're just walking down Pattaya Beach Road or boarding a plane with a recent negative test result, unless you test everyone in the world every two days, you stand the same chance of getting Covid. This extra test/1 day quarantine is dissuading tourists who have choices. Add this on top of no night life, you have a recipe for a continued ghost town. It's just that simple.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, bberg said:

Further to my quest to enter Thailand to those who are interested in real life struggles.....

I am very fortunate in my work, I have resources to assist and help with my queries - with help we managed to finally get Thai embassy on the phone, we called for approx. 2h over 40 calls joint effort when somebody answered the phone. When asked status on my COE the reply was, yes - aware of the application. Further asking when I could expect feedback - the person said "will do it now". They had been aware for days but not pushed the application on in the system. We asked further what the process was upon the answer was the COE was approved when they replied soonest. 

Upon receiving the answer, my next task was to update travel (flight ticket) plus hotel booking, done in 2 min......and send back awaiting for yet another answer from same Thai Embassy. By now the clock had passed midday and they wont be answering anything before tomorrow which is Friday. My COE was still not approved despite what the embassy staff had informed on the phone. 

Since I am traveling after 1st November I should not be subjected to 7 days quarantine hence I only booked 1 day in a hotel which is 200m from my condo, for own convenience to walk home after proved COVID19 free, a day locked up awaiting PCR result which I assume is done at airport arrival!

I am entering on a VISA, non-immigrant VISA single entry - I don't risk tourist VISA this time, I need to reopen my bank accounts, update my car and motorbike licenses, renew insurances and travel to different provinces due to family illness.

Non-immigrant VISA was easy compared to COE!!

I am waiting for final COE, I doubt it will be "just like that".....but I might be positively surprised. 

Failing COE; my final chance is Sunday 1st November 9am when the new Thailand Pass supposedly is available. 

Failing that - my travel must be rebooked or cancelled.

Its been an absolute hell ride which is not over yet. The easy answer is "Don't travel to Thailand just yet". I do it because family is literarily on the last leg and this would be my only chance to see her alive, the next visit will be a temple visit that we, as a family, know.

Keep in mind - I have everything in place, resources, insurances, house registration - the lot, still I am struggling due to system inefficiency.  

Friday follow-up; its official and ended in 100% fiasco.

We spent 3 hours non stop calling the Thai embassy in Seoul which are handling the COE - more than 200 calls each with same result - not one single answer and the COE has not been approved in Thailand's own systems. 

We spent weeks to prepare, ensured sufficient time etc, etc but was dropped dead by Thailands own system - not issuing the COE through, in my case Seoul embassy. 

It all baffles me how Thai government asking tourist and international travelers back to the "Land of Smiles" when the system made are impossible to achieve success. I am glad I only booked a single ticket and not extensive travels - knowing the failure rate was so high.

Following up to tickets, also Thai airways are impossible to get hold of so I may loose my ticket refund all together - can it all be coincidental?

I even got news today from Norway (where I also plan to travel in December - this is another inssane story) the required COVID19 PCR tests are now 400USD/pr test.......its all completely insane.  

I did try, I was prepared and prepared to be scammed and receive all the <deleted>, but wanted to honor and to see my dying mother in-law.

I have a minimum chance left Monday if Thailand pass is successful - but it probably will be too late for the rest of the requirements to be arranged and practically handled. 

Indeed a disappointing experience, but its important to warn others by writing on the forum, avoiding others disappointment. 

I have not been to my house in 3 years, not been to my home in 2 years - I can wait another few months or a year longer I guess.        

Edited by bberg
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, bberg said:

Friday follow-up; its official and ended in 100% fiasco.

We spent 3 hours non stop calling the Thai embassy in Seoul which are handling the COE - more than 200 calls each with same result - not one single answer and the COE has not been approved in Thailand's own systems. 

We spent weeks to prepare, ensured sufficient time etc, etc but was dropped dead by Thailands own system - not issuing the COE through, in my case Seoul embassy. 

It all baffles me how Thai government asking tourist and international travelers back to the "Land of Smiles" when the system made are impossible to achieve success. I am glad I only booked a single ticket and not extensive travels - knowing the failure rate was so high.

Following up to tickets, also Thai airways are impossible to get hold of so I may loose my ticket refund all together - can it all be coincidental?

I even got news today from Norway (where I also plan to travel in December - this is another inssane story) the required COVID19 PCR tests are now 400USD/pr test.......its all completely insane.  

I did try, I was prepared and prepared to be scammed and receive all the <deleted>, but wanted to honor and to see my dying mother in-law.

I have a minimum chance left Monday if Thailand pass is successful - but it probably will be too late for the rest of the requirements to be arranged and practically handled. 

Indeed a disappointing experience, but its important to warn others by writing on the forum, avoiding others disappointment. 

I have not been to my house in 3 years, not been to my home in 2 years - I can wait another few months or a year longer I guess.        

As a turn of events - last try calling Thai section of the Korean embassy after a few on hold and a couple rejections finally got through.

My hotel booking was rejected and I booked a new hotel which was on an official list, its 1 day quarantine whatever people might say, at 150USD/night I got a Bangkok hotel which included transport and COVID19 tests as required. 

There is still a slight hope I will be able to travel next week....what a ride this has been and all common sense tell me to cancel the trip but for the old woman sake I will go if able. 

Let’s see it realistically:

The Thailand Pass is nothing else than the same bureaucratic B.S. of the COE in a new application.

Nobody, who is not really eager to come to Thailand, will take that hurdle of red tape. In essence, they are closing out normal tourists with that.

Getting a hotel in the first week of the Thailand Pass with the new 1-night-quarantine proofed to be a terrible mess for a friend.

Many tourists won’t come also, if they find out, they have to stay 14 days in an ultra-expensive hospital-quarantine if they or someone on their flight has just a positive PCR-test.

But okay … end of 2022, millions of Chinese might come … ????

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 6:36 AM, sirineou said:

It is not only the transit time that is problematic, but also the couple of days before you took the first test.

Since it can take as much as 3 days after infection for covid to be detectable by test, it is possible to be infected , let's say, 2 days before you take the first test and not test positive. 

IMO given the covid situation around the world , the current system being implemented is spot on, 

I had doubts about the need for covid insurance, but now that I think more about it, I even think that it's a wise move. 

First the will be a number of false positive tests, then there will be the actual positive tests, In both cases there needs to be a mechanism to pay for the extended quarantine such events will require, 

How about self isolation and monitoring instead of being thrown into a field hospital? We're talking about vaccinated tourists where the chance of being symptomatic even if detected positive is greatly reduced. Could be another ploy to collect on all that insurance money.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 3:42 PM, Bernietravelling said:

But okay … end of 2022, millions of Chinese might come … ????

The Chinese are not issuing and new passports and you think THAILAND has ugly entry requirements? China is dissuading all travel save for wealthy businessmen, and my paranoid little inner voice thinks there is something brewing.