Hacked off with cashless payment.

KarenBravo

18 hours ago, worgeordie said:

But I still love it  ????,  the only disadvantage is when I take a wad of 50 quid's

to currency exchange , and they reject the ones with writing or the slightest

mark on them, I quip I wish I had a truck load of them...

regards Worgeordie

I have become an expert at laundering money! It is amazing what these modern notes will withstand - bleach, solvents various, rubbing, drying and ironing. Mostly they come out like new, only ever had one £20 I could  not rescue, and good old Bank of England replaced it foc - eventually.

I was in a Tesco store recently, the person in front wanted to split the payment for their purchases into three so she could use discount vouchers issued by Tesco.

Each time she paid she was given change and a receipt.

Those cash payments were not quick !

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Grusa said:

When I lived in Rhodesia (remember that?) 40-odd years ago, the African mammas used to carry their paper money in their underwear. The look, feel and smell of that cash was truly disgusting - it could easily have been there for years!

To experience those sensations were you assisting  in the removal and replacement of the money?
Ian Douglas Smith would have been appalled !

20 hours ago, Saanim said:

Not to speak about the guard at the exit - just another 5 m - who will recheck the receipt whether it complies with the goods in the cart.

The guard can't /won't check the goods with the receipt .He would need an other trolly to check the items 1 by 1 and put them in the other trolly. 

He should be there only to see/check if one has a receipt or not.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Number of times I've been robbed by bad men or women- ZERO.

Did you forget your former wife?

My current woman definitely sneaks cash from my wallet.

One reason I never carry much.

Edited by BritManToo

38 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Thats likely the most efficient way, could always pen a letter and post it snail mail.

I was actually commenting on the 'modern' way to say it....REACH OUT instead of 'GET IN TOUCH WITH US'.   LOL

7 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I was in a Tesco store recently, the person in front wanted to split the payment for their purchases into three so she could use discount vouchers issued by Tesco.

That could have been my wife...sorry for the inconvenience ????

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

sod  the expense its   the amount of  personal  info  on them, its  ridiculous

Indeed, best to protect the smartphone with a good password and so on. Then if its sure its really lost autowhipe the smartphone from a computer so they can't get your private data. 

But i havent lost a smartphone yet.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Each time she paid she was given change and a receipt.

Those cash payments were not quick !

Yea i really hate those people. But then again can't really blame them for wanting to get as much discount as possible. Not everyone has the same spending power.  But boy i do hate how time consuming that is. 

7 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Paying electronically will show exactly what you bought, where and when.

No it won't. The only data attached to the transaction is the vendor name, time and the total amount paid.

Edited by JayClay

27 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Actually, a poster brought up a very interesting point.

Paying electronically will show exactly what you bought, where and when.

This info could (is probably) sold to other third parties, especially advertisers.

Another great reason to continue to pay cash.

I'll go electronic when there is no choice.

Just curious what is the problem with targeted advertisement ?

You never buy anything online ? Do you ever use a creditcard ? If you say yes to either of those your already in the databases. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JayClay said:

No it won't. The only data attached to the transaction is the vendor name, time and the total amount paid.

The electronic money issuer may not  directly have the information  but the retailer will have all that information  a bit like they already have with "loyalty" cards,if the "government"  wanted that info it could easily be linked together   they already do this in China  if you don't have the correct "social score"   you can't travel.

https://proprivacy.com/privacy-news/china-ban-people-low-social-credit-scores-travel

After this Covidiocy debacle  I can see many countries trying to "encourage" citizens  towards "new normal" behaviours  less carbon footprint,less meat,less travel,less tobacco and alcohol, electric vehicles more exercise,bicycles,more vegetables,less obesity etc etc etc  one way to make sure these "new normal" behaviours are followed is a fully digital currency  and no I don't think it's such a great idea for "governments"  to be micro managing peoples lives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh Yes how terrible! I mean having to wait in line for a few of my oh so precious minutes, so I can spend the money I have in our pockets, and buy what I want when I want, in an air conditioned comfortable environment; well except for those annoying others who take up my extremely precious and constantly impinged upon time. What a terrible imposition others put upon us.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, johng said:

The electronic money issuer may not  directly have the information  but the retailer will have all that information  a bit like they already have with "loyalty" cards,if the "government"  wanted that info it could easily be linked together   they already do this in China  if you don't have the correct "social score"   you can't travel.

https://proprivacy.com/privacy-news/china-ban-people-low-social-credit-scores-travel

After this Covidiocy debacle  I can see many countries trying to "encourage" citizens  towards "new normal" behaviours  less carbon footprint,less meat,less travel,less tobacco and alcohol, electric vehicles more exercise,bicycles,more vegetables,less obesity etc etc etc  one way to make sure these "new normal" behaviours are followed is a fully digital currency  and no I don't think it's such a great idea for "governments"  to be micro managing peoples lives.

You truly out there with your conspiracies' both covid and this. 

Its easy to link data from retailers together ? Not sure how that is easy, there are just too many retailers and you can fill in fake names and pay with an other. So its not as simple as you think. Its possible but easy, no way. It also requires 100.000s of retailers to hand out information. I don't see that happening. In Europe we got data privacy and it gets better and better. So its moving in the opposite direction of your fantasy. 

This might well happen in countries like China, Russia might try it but Europe not as the laws are actually protecting data more and more. China and other crazy countries are the exception not the rule. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

How do you  prove to the bank your  cards were stolen, I mean money  in your  pocket is lost and  gone fair  enough, especially  Thai banks where its always  your  fault

You go to the police station and they make out a report for you to take to the bank. The cost is 20 baht,