Hacked off with cashless payment.

KarenBravo

5 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Oh Yes how terrible! I mean having to wait in line for a few of my oh so precious minutes, so I can spend the money I have in our pockets, and buy what I want when I want, in an air conditioned comfortable environment; well except for those annoying others who take up my extremely precious and constantly impinged upon time. What a terrible imposition others put upon us.

It's not really an imposition more of an irritant. You sound very stressed. Maybe try meditation? Or choose your queue more carefully!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

No illusion with cards. No more than cash. Just makes life simpler and easier. As long as you keep an eye on debt. You have a clear record of what you did, so no illusion, and as long as you take care banks will pay for hacking. 

No more standing in lines to pay bills or get cash. I like that tax cheats and those involved on organised crime are easier to find but this may seem like an intrusion on privacy for some.

The main tax cheat is the government!

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2021 at 3:19 PM, PoorSucker said:

I spent the last year in Sweden.

60% of all payments are done this way now.

80% of all payments are electronic.

The max payment for blip without code is 1500 baht per transaktion.

I believe Holland is mainly cashless and certainly in the UK 2 years ago the touch and go system was widespread. Very good in pubs. Some small bars won't accept cash. In London public transportation is increasingly no cash and the buses have been cashless for years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bbko said:

Do you folks that don't like cashless money transfers due to "Big Brother" also stand inline at banks to withdraw your money, pay monthly bills by snail mail, receive your monthly pension/salary via paper checks, never shop online?  

I'm not in Thailand, but my bank doesn't have tellers any more. Have to use a machine in the bank to withdraw money ( also have ATMs outside ). My regular ( rent etc ) bills are direct debit so I don't have to do anything for them. My pension is direct credited to my bank account. Bank doesn't use cheques any more.

I never shop on line. I like to see what I'm buying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I believe Holland is mainly cashless and certainly in the UK 2 years ago the touch and go system was widespread. Very good in pubs. Some small bars won't accept cash. In London public transportation is increasingly no cash and the buses have been cashless for years.

There is a valid reason for public transport such as buses not to use cash- robbery. No cash, no crooks holding up the driver.

The Oyster card ( no different to using a bank card ) is a perfectly OK way to travel, except it probably does track one's travel. Can't win them all though. So long as one can pay cash to top up the Oyster card it's no hassle.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, johng said:

The laws in Europe,UK AU,USA are moving more and more towards the China model..

sad you cant see this...recent examples are the Google and Facebook big data "scandals"  and governments (trying) using those as a way putting more power into government hands,they of course say that they ( the government) will not misuse the data  they are totally trustworthy right ?   I have much less faith in "governments" than it seems you do.

Good to see that you don't only adhere to covid conspiracies but also this. Both are stupid things to believe.

First of many new laws in Europe have been made to  give people more to say about what data is collected and that they know what is collected. This is a fact, the facebook data scandals are not a way to get their data (paranoid opinion without any substance). I have yet to see Europe asking for the data. All Europe is doing is protecting the consumers data more and more. More so then in the USA (as money rules there). 

But neither Europe nor US is asking for big data their data. Maybe its time to plant your feet and re educate yourself.

now the UK is of course an exception there protection actually goes down because of Brexit. But I am sure you did not mean that. I just post this to show that the EU data protection laws are really strong stronger then those in US and UK.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-google-privacy-eu-exclusive-idUSKBN20D2M3

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am one of those who pay by cash and only has a debit card. That way I know how much I have and if I don't have enough cash I don't buy it.

I bring all the change home and sling it into a bag. After a while I sort it out, count it up, plastic bag it and my wife takes it to 7/11 or somewhere and they are grateful for the change.

I have 2 creditcards I don't use them, but i do use my debit card a lot and with the mobile banking app i know exactly how much i spend. I find it far easier and better then cash. Also other forms of electronic payment are better then cash (in my case).

If you like paying cash by all means do so but for me its a disaster. Now i ordered some bread from a bakery and It will be delivered but this bakery that goes through line man has no electronic payment so i have to look for the right amount of cash as riders often dont have it. Electronic would have been so much easier just an other press on the button during ordering.

Its probably too expensive for the bakery (id pay extra for it) and would stop using this bakery if it was not that good.

On 10/29/2021 at 10:45 AM, bbko said:

Do you folks that don't like cashless money transfers due to "Big Brother" also stand inline at banks to withdraw your money, pay monthly bills by snail mail, receive your monthly pension/salary via paper checks, never shop online?  

I don't stand in line in the bank as both Bangkok bank and Kasikorn have a seating area. Apart from that I only go into either bank about 3 times a year each.

I withdraw money from the ATM, each bank has 3 outside, so unless you pick the day when Thais get paid it only takes a couple of minutes.

My pensions are sent from the providers to Wise UK who notify me and I transfer funds the same day.

As for paper cheques I haven't seen or written one in more than 10 years. 

I do shop online via Lazada and have done for 2 or 3 years but I generally use COD though a couple of times I did a bank transfer straight to Lazada.

While I agree that cashless is OK in the bigger towns, it isn't much use in the rural areas of Thailand which actually have a larger population than the big cities.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 11:58 AM, JayClay said:

You just need a bank account with any bank here. Open up their app and look for "Prompt Pay".

It's not credit card based, deposits are taken directly from the bank account of the person paying.

Any way to use promptpay without a thai bank account? Thanks!

19 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

At least we have been spared (so far) the dreaded self-checkout ...

They definitely had them in Gourmet Market in Hua-Hin.

I also seem to have a vague recollection of being in a Tops somewhere once and seeing them.... But I couldn't swear to that with and degree of conviction.

On 10/29/2021 at 3:44 PM, Heng said:

Love cashless payments.  No more jars of coins multiplying in the house and your car's change tray.   

I have a large coffee tin on the stand near the door were I put my keys when I get home, every day I drop any coins into it.

When tin is full I take to my local mom and pop store, they count the coins and then deliver  beer to the value of later that day.

Yeah they could be stooging me a few baht but meh.... the coins are otherwise useless to me so I see it as free beer !!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Also noticed a few self check outs, along with nobody using.  Don't think they'll catch on here.

One can only hope. IMO it's just big corporations trying to make more profit by sacking the workers and replacing them with machines.

One has to wonder though, when everyone has lost their job to automation who is going to be able to buy anything much?

• Like 1