Hacked off with cashless payment.

KarenBravo

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

How long until someone pick-pockets your wallet ?...  mugs you ?

Each medium has its advantages and disadvantages but you have conveniently glossed over the disadvantages of carrying cash.

You have conveniently glossed over the disadvantages of carrying a smartphone.  If they take your wallet its only cash, maybe a credit card, if they take your smartphone it potentially is a lot worse!!

I see everyday people with their smartphone in their back-pocket, easily lost or stolen and some of these phones are very expensive!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why don't we just tattoo a bar code on our forehead or have a chip implanted? Bad governments are salivating at the thought of facial recognition and the total control they will have over the minions.

Never mind, sheeple relish being controlled by government.

Baaaah.

Facial recognition is pointless.

Embed a chip in everyone, link it to all the electronic doors and payments.

No chip = no entry and no purchases.

As for not using 'electronic money', my pension is paid to my UK bank account electronically, then I move it to Thailand electronically, paying for my stuff electronically is just the final step in the electronic chain.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO it's the advertisers. They want all purchases to be electronic then they can tailor ads specifically to the person. Selling customer information is lucrative, so stores are probably happy to do it.

By all means use electronic money, but don't complain about the ads, or when it's hacked and you lose your money.

Welcome to the social control as practiced by a certain large country.

I won't be using electronic money till there is no alternative, and IMO we will be doomed then anyway.

Of course one can complain if you get hacked, but only if you took enough security yourself.

But yes got your point same goes if you bring cash and get robbed. 

Cant say that in general payment has become much easier. Going from cash to cheques to now internet banking. So in general it got better and sure there are some teething problems at times but that is normal.

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Of course one can complain if you get hacked, but only if you took enough security yourself.

But yes got your point same goes if you bring cash and get robbed. 

Cant say that in general payment has become much easier. Going from cash to cheques to now internet banking. So in general it got better and sure there are some teething problems at times but that is normal.

Number of times I've been robbed by bad men or women- ZERO.

I've had money taken by bad friends or partners, but that was only after I gave it to them as a "loan".

Reading this thread it seems that most posters are happy to give control to corporations and Big Brother government, and information about their purchasing history to advertisers.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

You have conveniently glossed over the disadvantages of carrying a smartphone.  If they take your wallet its only cash, maybe a credit card, if they take your smartphone it potentially is a lot worse!!

I see everyday people with their smartphone in their back-pocket, easily lost or stolen and some of these phones are very expensive!

Not just that as I often see old people typing in their pin numbers in full view of anyone behind them. Just begging to be mugged for their cards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pay by app, card or other electronic methods is fine. Got to have the funds in wherever the transfer draws it.

most people found here prefer cash. Most people, if they have bank transfers of any kind, rush to the atm and take out cash.

I use card in most big shops, except makro, which don't seem to accept them. Cash everywhere else.

I would say, though. People searching purses/coin bags for the right money are a pain. Asking the cashier...is this 10 baht? 2 baht? Then, give them notes and oh, the cashier doesn't have change...open the change roll, ask a colleague.

Getting carried away as a grumpy old man...

• Like 1

Most technology seems, at first glance, so wonderful.....

But in time it typically makes life worse. Wanted to buy a new vehicle, but apparently I'm too stupid to read a gas gauge, buckle my belt, or remove my keys without the bells of Notre Dam clanging. So forget it. 

Also been trying to buy a Stupid TV the past week: don't want a remote with multiple useless buttons on it--colorful, eye-catching ones at that--for YouTube, Netflix and so on.

Not a single one to be found. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

Don't worry , AI and face recognition software is coming fast by now .

In the future , your face becomes your ID , and you'll pay with a fingerprint ...

Just wave you chipped body part (or bracelet) over the scanner ... ????

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You need to learn to move with the times, money is dirty and carries germs.

Edited 19 hours ago by BritManToo

all true,but is n't it also another way of keeping tabs on you.Go cashless totally and it's just another freedom taken away.Take it a step further and the authorities have the power to decide what you can and cannot buy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, thasoss said:

all true,but is n't it also another way of keeping tabs on you.Go cashless totally and it's just another freedom taken away.Take it a step further and the authorities have the power to decide what you can and cannot buy.

The government is power already tell me what I can and cannot buy .......

BUT I have no problems buying cannabis or vape pens online, despite their rulings.

'Naughty purchases' just get marked as something else on my electronic receipt.

In the case of cannabis, the company I pay is listed as a clothing manufacturer, how could this be stopped by anyone?

Edited by BritManToo

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Paying by mobile app is usually much quicker than cash.
Covid threw a spanner in the works wrt speed. Facial recognition stymied by a mask! Move out of the line to scan my face because the teller gave me a disapproving look as I began to drop the mask at the till. Back in line then the second ID so ducked out of line again, but that didn't work as was wanting a PIN. Couldn't remember my PIN so checked back in the security wallet which requires facial recognition. 10 minutes later had it all together. Traumatised and humiliated and vowed to only take cotton bags of bleach soaked coins next time!

You need to learn to move with the times, money is dirty and carries germs.
I do need to learn the moves and money may be dirty but nowhere near as filthy as the looks seared into the back of my head from follow on shoppers in the queue behind me!

Edited by mayview

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Number of times I've been robbed by bad men or women- ZERO.

I've had money taken by bad friends or partners, but that was only after I gave it to them as a "loan".

Reading this thread it seems that most posters are happy to give control to corporations and Big Brother government, and information about their purchasing history to advertisers.

Yea i have no problem with that at all.. and also havent been robbed. Also don't see a problem with targeted advertisements. I love electronic payment.

19 hours ago, stat said:

You have not seen someone pay with a Garmin watch apparently. I have to press 2 buttones while waiting in line, then I just hold the watch in front of the gadget, it beeps after 1 sec and done. Same with Googlepay. Some people dont know how to use it properly, some people have to type in pins. With Garmin you enter the pin on the watch once a day and are all set. If you take the watch off you have to reenter the pin again (checked via Heartrate sensor) . Biggest plus is you can never forget your watch if you never take it off  like me and dont have to look for your mobile????

You'll never take a shower?

Or is the watch waterproof?

19 hours ago, Saanim said:

Not to speak about the guard at the exit - just another 5 m - who will recheck the receipt whether it complies with the goods in the cart.

H ha, w had oe guard at superhot .....  she checked it stamped it but she was wrong on one item ...   its just BS ... go  on, take a small item out then after se checks it ask here where is tis item.....

19 hours ago, JackGats said:

I wanted to install Samsung Pay on my snartphone to go cashless in Thailand. Guess what, my Galaxy 10+ is not supported by Samsung for Samsung pay!

I wanted to set up Rabbit Line with my Bangkok Bank debit card but it said something like "not available in your case".

I have something like that with a KLM-app on my iPhone 6, impossible....to old!!

Unbelievable.

2 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

sod  the expense its   the amount of  personal  info  on them, its  ridiculous

• Like 2