Hacked off with cashless payment.

KarenBravo

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I know it was generalisation, a typical, unwarranted, Thai-bashing, false generalisation.  That was my point and that's why I asked you to be specific.

Unless you can be specific, why would you make such a false assertion?   

I'm ready to eat humble pie if I'm wrong.

With or without sauce?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:
13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I know it was generalisation, a typical, unwarranted, Thai-bashing, false generalisation.  That was my point and that's why I asked you to be specific.

Expand  

With or without sauce?

Doesn't matter as I won't have to eat any!

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Two major Thai banks hacked, personal details from over 120,000 customers stolen

Source: Xinhua| 2018-08-02 14:52:19|Editor: Chengcheng

I always  like the reports  where bank staff help themselves

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Opening that app must take all of 3 seconds.  Does anyone with a 'smart' phone, who knows that they're going to use an app, ever go around not connected to the internet via their mobile data?   No one needs to log in to the shop's internet.

Well that's what I was thinking but I not sure most people are always on their mobile data. Plenty of people don't even have the option. But anyway I would like to know what app was being used for payment. I dread people using phone based apps to pay in the local 7/11s. Because that which theoretically should be a smooth fast payment system ends up a lot slower than cash. I'll willingly  a phone payment system but am unclear which one to use.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Now you try another "Liverpool Lou one ..." ????.... keep them coming ????

I did not refer in any way to a Thai bashing ....especially i am very satisfied of 13 year Kasikorn banking not one problem with KK????

I 'm not waiting to know you eating humble pie ???? ....keep on just " having your cake and eat it " as some one said once  ....enjoying it now ? ????

Edited by david555
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, robblok said:

This might well happen in countries like China, Russia might try it but Europe not as the laws are actually protecting data more and more. China and other crazy countries are the exception not the rule. 

The laws in Europe,UK AU,USA are moving more and more towards the China model..

sad you cant see this...recent examples are the Google and Facebook big data "scandals"  and governments (trying) using those as a way putting more power into government hands,they of course say that they ( the government) will not misuse the data  they are totally trustworthy right ?   I have much less faith in "governments" than it seems you do.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, thasoss said:

all true,but is n't it also another way of keeping tabs on you.Go cashless totally and it's just another freedom taken away.Take it a step further and the authorities have the power to decide what you can and cannot buy.

I agree sometimes I like  to pay cash... The threat of high negative interest rates is very real if you go cashless.

7 hours ago, JayClay said:

Yes it is. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it's unusual. Highly unusual. If it was the norm then then supermarkets simply wouldn't accept it as a payment method.

"Noodle shops, food carts and the majority of other shops cannot do electronic payment,"

Yes they can. And they do. Anybody with a mobile phone and a bank account can accept these payments. Most noodle vendors have a QR code displayed out front. Those that don't display it will nearly always show you their phone to scan on request.

What is needed in Thailand to pay via QR Code? Is ist credit card based or an app like Alipay or Google pay? Thanks!

2 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

No, never use a credit card in Thailand after someone in the shop took down the number and sold it. They spent £10,000. Got it back as I could prove I was in a different country at the time. No, I never buy anything online. 

Here comes the charme of Garmin or Google pay. Only a token is interchanged that is only valid once. So they dont have your cc numbers in some shady shop.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

You'll never take a shower?

Or is the watch waterproof?

Waterproof. If watch gets stolen you cant use it without the pin you enter ONCE every 24H. Entering takes 10 secs. Bangkok bank supports Garmin pay and a lot of other companies/ Credit Cards. Paying with watch takes me 2 secs literally. Press 1 shortcut button and hold it over the gadget, beep and your done.

Edited by stat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, stat said:

What is needed in Thailand to pay via QR Code? Is ist credit card based or an app like Alipay or Google pay? Thanks!

You just need a bank account with any bank here. Open up their app and look for "Prompt Pay".

It's not credit card based, deposits are taken directly from the bank account of the person paying.

• Like 2

Our local songthaw (pickup bus) has QR codes in the back (one for "short ride", one for "long ride"), press the bell and scan the relevant QR. Driver gets an SMS that someone has paid, wave your phone at him when you exit. Drivers behind when he stops are very happy with the reduced delay whilst people pay.

Thai's really are inherently honest and I've not seen anyone not scan and then wave their phone.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

And the illusion deepens beyond repair.

No illusion with cards. No more than cash. Just makes life simpler and easier. As long as you keep an eye on debt. You have a clear record of what you did, so no illusion, and as long as you take care banks will pay for hacking. 

No more standing in lines to pay bills or get cash. I like that tax cheats and those involved on organised crime are easier to find but this may seem like an intrusion on privacy for some.

• Like 2