Going for 1-year ext. and need first Thai account for the 400k

Hi guys. I've had a read of a few somewhat relevant threads just now, but hope it's ok to start a new, specific one in order to get the most precise and up-to-date advise. I'm wondering for my situation without work permit and looking to stick the 400k lump sum in an account here for the purpose of securing the extension which bank you would recommend. I have a Wise account and as a Brit my old-style banking is UK-based.

I read an old private msg from Ubonjoe from just before Covid struck where he said you don't actually need the 400k to show as coming from abroad. Is this still the case? Should I still choose long-term stay when doing the Wise transfer(s)? (will likely move the money in 1 test + 3 larger goes)

Never had a Thai bank account in my name. Never applied for an extension before (had a few multi-entry non-Os). Wife has accounts with Kasikorn (that I send to through Wise) and Siam Commercial. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by fauxie

4 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Kasikorn Bank would be a good choice to use with Wise.

Doing 3 transfers over a month might lessen the impact of exchange rate fluctuations.

You need to have the 400,000 baht in your Thai bank account at least 2 months before applying for the extension.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking ideally I'd use Kasikorn since I've already been sending to my wife's account with them. No work permit not a problem?

I came over mid-September. I'll get a 2-month extension on my current 90-day visa which should take me to early February. How early do ppl apply for the extension? I'm hoping I can get the bank account and do the transfers within the next 2 weeks, ideally.

• Like 1

I found it impossible to open a new Kasikorn account even with a solid reference and documentation.  Many Thais suggested that Bangkok bank was better for my first account, even the Kasikorn manager.  Indeed it was.  I needed only a Residence certificate and my passport to get two accounts opened with them.  I chose a Fixed Deposit to hold the funds for my retirement extension and a regular Savings for everyday needs.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I found it impossible to open a new Kasikorn account even with a solid reference and documentation.  Many Thais suggested that Bangkok bank was better for my first account, even the Kasikorn manager.  Indeed it was.  I needed only a Residence certificate and my passport to get two accounts opened with them.  I chose a Fixed Deposit to hold the funds for my retirement extension and a regular Savings for everyday needs.

Thanks. That's very useful. I'll sound out Kasikorn, but sounds like I may have to opt for Bangkok Bank. I guess I need to get my skates on getting the Residence Cert. then. Yikes! First time I've heard of it tbh, and what I'm seeing searching online makes me fear it'll leave me too little time to get the bank account and season the money in it before the extension on my current visa expires early Feb! ????

Does this sound right?

Bangkok

If you’re a resident of Bangkok, you’ll need to get your Residence Certificate at the Division 1 Immigration Office on Chaengwathtana Road. The certificate will cost you 200 baht in Bangkok. On the first floor of the immigration office, you’ll find photo and copy centers if you need them.

If you apply for a Residence Certificate at Division 1, keep in mind you can’t get the certificate the same day. They’ll give you a slip with a number on it and mail you the certificate within two weeks. And if you don’t receive the certificate within two weeks, you can go back and pick it up with number on the slip that they give you.

Also, Division 1 only issues Resident Certificates to visa holders who have to report to immigration every 90 days. If you have a 30-day visa exempt stamp or a 60-day tourist visa, you must go to your embassy to get the Resident Certificate.

I'm seeing different lists of required docs in various places online. Nightmare.

Edited by fauxie

1 hour ago, fauxie said:

Should I still choose long-term stay when doing the Wise transfer(s)?

It doesn't matter for this requirement, but the long term stay option with Wise is no longer showing as a foreign transfer in Bangkok Bank accounts, and never did in other banks.  There's a long thread on recent changes.

• Like 1

Just now, treetops said:

It doesn't matter for this requirement, but the long term stay option with Wise is no longer showing as a foreign transfer in Bangkok Bank accounts, and never did in other banks.  There's a long thread on recent changes.

I see. Thanks. I was reading that prior to starting this thread. So it doesn't affect me doing the 400k for my extension based on marriage?

14 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I had the opposite experience.

We had an account with Bangkok bank on my wife's name for years,  so naturally when I retired and started doing extensions, we went to Bangkok bank to open an account on my name. 

No go

They wanted so many things including my passport and visa translated and certified  by the American embassy in BKK.  

No way was I going to Bangkok, at that time  BKK was a Red hot Covid area. so we went to Kasikorn, 

No problem, in and out in 30 minutes .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I had the opposite experience.

We had an account with Bangkok bank on my wife's name for years,  so naturally when I retired and started doing extensions, we went to Bangkok bank to open an account on my name. 

No go

They wanted so many things including my passport and visa translated and certified  by the American embassy in BKK.  

No way was I going to Bangkok, at that time  BKK was a Red hot Covid area. so we went to Kasikorn, 

No problem, in and out in 30 minutes .

Thanks for the input. Jeez. Sounds like if I could avoid having to get the Residence Cert. it'd all be a lot easier. I'll go to my nearest Kasikorn at The Crystal tomorrow, I think, and ask there first.

Side Note; OP if you're married it's pretty easy to ask your wife to help you get a Yellow Book and then you won't need a Residency Certificate to open new bank accounts. The yellow book saves you from having to run to the local immigration office every time you need to prove your address.

Edited by bbko
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bbko said:

Side Note; OP if you're married it's pretty easy to ask your wife to help you get a Yellow Book and then you won't need a Residency Certificate to open new accounts. The yellow book saves you from having to run to the local immigration office every time you need to prove your address.

Thank you. This is separate from the usual house book my wife and her folks have? So this might possibly suffice in place of the Residence Certificate to satisfy the bank?

Hang on. I'm seeing a lot of docs required there in that thread. For now and the foreseeable I really only need the one account to lump 400k in and leave there, so maybe it's not going to be useful to me just yet?

Edited by fauxie

12 minutes ago, fauxie said:

Thanks for the input. Jeez. Sounds like if I could avoid having to get the Residence Cert. it'd all be a lot easier. I'll go to my nearest Kasikorn at The Crystal tomorrow, I think, and ask there first.

If you have a problem at that one try a different branch. Apparently branch managers have lee-way on interpretation of the requirements.

PS: they were very good with the certified account documents when the time came  to do your extension. 

Tip: before you go to get your certified deposit document, and have your bank book updated for  Immigration, make a small withdrawal from the ATM outside, When you get your updated bankbook, it will show the ATM transaction with a date and the new balance on that day,   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

If you have a problem at that one try a different branch. Apparently branch managers have lee-way on interpretation of the requirements.

PS: they were very good with the certified account documents when the time came  to do your extension. 

Tip: before you go to get your certified deposit document, and have your bank book updated for  Immigration, make a small withdrawal from the ATM outside, When you get your updated bankbook, it will show the ATM transaction with a date and the new balance on that day,   

Thank you. I've made a note of your tip, too ????

Certified deposit document covers any and all transfers I make to get 400k in there? I plan to do a very small test transfer, then pretty much split the rest into 3.

Edited by fauxie

28 minutes ago, fauxie said:

Hang on. I'm seeing a lot of docs required there in that thread. For now and the foreseeable I really only need the one account to lump 400k in and leave there, so maybe it's not going to be useful to me just yet?

The easy way for me is to have 400,000 baht all year round in a Thai bank in my name only.

It does vary some in different province immigration offices so best to go first and ask what they require.

The following is what I need for a 1 year extension to stay based on married to a Thai wife.

Sukhothai immigration check list for renewal of

1 year extension for temporary stay for marriage as of 2019.

You can both go Immigration about 1 month before or under to re-apply.

In my case I put the following in the order as listed below and place in front of the immigration officer in 2 separate piles :-

1. Fill out both 2 TM7 application forms separately by hand & put a  

contact phone number & and sign both sides and name in capital letters 

underneath on the TM7 forms and affix late Colour Photos of myself

4 x 6 cm to each TM7 form.

2. I take my original passport which they say should have at least 18 months  

validation with the original TM6 arrival/departure slip and 90 day  

notification slip kept with passport.

Take 2 colour photocopy’s of passport page showing your photo  

in Colour and the passport number on A4 paper.

Take 2 photocopy’s of passport pages with last entry date into   

Thailand along with the adjoining page in passport on A4 paper.

Take 2 photocopy’s of all other passport stamped pages on A4 paper.

3. Take original Khor Ror 3 Official Thai marriage Certificate and 2 

Photocopy’s of each side front & back on A4 paper.

Take 2 photocopies of Khor Ror 2 marriage Certificate updated with  

present year from your local government province front & back on A4.   

4. Take original Thai wife blue House registration book and 2 photocopy’s  

of Thai wife blue House registration book on A4 paper.

5. Take original Thai wife I.D. card and 2 photocopy’s of Thai

wife I.D. card with both sides of card shown on A4 paper.    

6. Arrange to have a Letter from the Bank before going, confirming the 

amount of 400,000bht has been deposited in the account of applicant     

for the two month required period, ask them to sign in blue pen 

and update the Bank book on the day you go to apply at immigration.

Take an A4 copy of letter.   

7. Take 2 photocopy’s of the Bank passbook account details in applicants 

SOLE name plus 2 photocopy’s all pages of Bank passbook page showing date  

of the 400,000 baht deposit being there for a two month period prior to 

renewal of 1 year application date on A4 paper.

8. Pay cash fee as of now 1,900bht on request and keep receipt for

when returning to have 1 year extension stamped in passport.  

9. Take 2 photocopy’s of diagram area map showing location of your home   

address on A4 paper & have or write Google map coordinates on map.

10. Take 8 printed photos:- 4 late colour photos of couple inside rooms of  

the house and 4 late colour photos of couple outside by house.     

Get copied 2 of each and put 2 pictures on A4 paper.

11. Take 2 photocopy’s of your 90 day next report receipt slip.

12. Take 2 photocopy’s TM6 arrival slip on A4 paper

13. I take my original yellow book for proof of address 2 photocopies of the   

yellow book on A4 paper.

14. Fill out 2 STM2 forms and sign with signature and underneath with your  

name in capital letters. ie. Acknowledgement of Temporary stay permit.

15. Fill out Acknowledgement of Overstay forms and sign with signature and    

underneath with your name in capital letters.

16. Present TM7 forms and all Photocopies to immigration officer

for checking.

They will then rubber stamp a box section in blue on the papers to 

where you sign with your signature and also write your full

name in capital letters.

17. Sign with your signature and also write your full

name in capital letters on their copy of 1,900 receipt form.                                                 

18. While sitting in front of Immigration officer they will take a  

computer picture of you.

19.  Wait until passport is returned to you and stamped with the date

you are to return to the office to have the year extension stamped in   

your passport. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sirineou said:

If you end up getting a fixed deposit account at Bangkok bank, you can just put your bank book into the auto update machine any time and an entry will be added that just indicates your balance as of that day.  No deposit or withdrawal required.  It may also work at other banks or for other types of accounts.  I've only tried it on my single fixed account.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

If you end up getting a fixed deposit account at Bangkok bank, you can just put your bank book into the auto update machine any time and an entry will be added that just indicates your balance as of that day.  No deposit or withdrawal required.  It may also work at other banks or for other types of accounts.  I've only tried it on my single fixed account.

Thanks. I don't know why, I was under the impression that we had to have the 400k in only an easy access account, but is that not true?

35 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The easy way for me is to have 400,000 baht all year round in a Thai bank in my name only.

It does vary some in different province immigration offices so best to go first and ask what they require.

The following is what I need for a 1 year extension to stay based on married to a Thai wife.

Sukhothai immigration check list for renewal of

1 year extension for temporary stay for marriage as of 2019.

You can both go Immigration about 1 month before or under to re-apply.

In my case I put the following in the order as listed below and place in front of the immigration officer in 2 separate piles :-

1. Fill out both 2 TM7 application forms separately by hand & put a  

contact phone number & and sign both sides and name in capital letters 

underneath on the TM7 forms and affix late Colour Photos of myself

4 x 6 cm to each TM7 form.

2. I take my original passport which they say should have at least 18 months  

validation with the original TM6 arrival/departure slip and 90 day  

notification slip kept with passport.

Take 2 colour photocopy’s of passport page showing your photo  

in Colour and the passport number on A4 paper.

Take 2 photocopy’s of passport pages with last entry date into   

Thailand along with the adjoining page in passport on A4 paper.

Take 2 photocopy’s of all other passport stamped pages on A4 paper.

3. Take original Khor Ror 3 Official Thai marriage Certificate and 2 

Photocopy’s of each side front & back on A4 paper.

Take 2 photocopies of Khor Ror 2 marriage Certificate updated with  

present year from your local government province front & back on A4.   

4. Take original Thai wife blue House registration book and 2 photocopy’s  

of Thai wife blue House registration book on A4 paper.

5. Take original Thai wife I.D. card and 2 photocopy’s of Thai

wife I.D. card with both sides of card shown on A4 paper.    

6. Arrange to have a Letter from the Bank before going, confirming the 

amount of 400,000bht has been deposited in the account of applicant     

for the two month required period, ask them to sign in blue pen 

and update the Bank book on the day you go to apply at immigration.

Take an A4 copy of letter.   

7. Take 2 photocopy’s of the Bank passbook account details in applicants 

SOLE name plus 2 photocopy’s all pages of Bank passbook page showing date  

of the 400,000 baht deposit being there for a two month period prior to 

renewal of 1 year application date on A4 paper.

8. Pay cash fee as of now 1,900bht on request and keep receipt for

when returning to have 1 year extension stamped in passport.  

9. Take 2 photocopy’s of diagram area map showing location of your home   

address on A4 paper & have or write Google map coordinates on map.

10. Take 8 printed photos:- 4 late colour photos of couple inside rooms of  

the house and 4 late colour photos of couple outside by house.     

Get copied 2 of each and put 2 pictures on A4 paper.

11. Take 2 photocopy’s of your 90 day next report receipt slip.

12. Take 2 photocopy’s TM6 arrival slip on A4 paper

13. I take my original yellow book for proof of address 2 photocopies of the   

yellow book on A4 paper.

14. Fill out 2 STM2 forms and sign with signature and underneath with your  

name in capital letters. ie. Acknowledgement of Temporary stay permit.

15. Fill out Acknowledgement of Overstay forms and sign with signature and    

underneath with your name in capital letters.

16. Present TM7 forms and all Photocopies to immigration officer

for checking.

They will then rubber stamp a box section in blue on the papers to 

where you sign with your signature and also write your full

name in capital letters.

17. Sign with your signature and also write your full

name in capital letters on their copy of 1,900 receipt form.                                                 

18. While sitting in front of Immigration officer they will take a  

computer picture of you.

19.  Wait until passport is returned to you and stamped with the date

you are to return to the office to have the year extension stamped in   

your passport. 

Thank you! That's really useful. The 90 day next report slip won't apply to me now, will it? That's when you've already been on a 1-year extension?

2 hours ago, fauxie said:

The 90 day next report slip won't apply to me now, will it?

That's when you've already been on a 1-year extension?

Everything on the list is needed every year when I apply at Sukhothai immigration.

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Everything on the list is needed every year when I apply at Sukhothai immigration.

I see. But I wouldn't have this 90-day next report receipt when here on a single entry Non-O visa, right? I just have my TM. 6

14 hours ago, fauxie said:

Thanks. That's very useful. I'll sound out Kasikorn, but sounds like I may have to opt for Bangkok Bank. I guess I need to get my skates on getting the Residence Cert. then. Yikes! First time I've heard of it tbh, and what I'm seeing searching online makes me fear it'll leave me too little time to get the bank account and season the money in it before the extension on my current visa expires early Feb! ????

Does this sound right?

Bangkok

If you’re a resident of Bangkok, you’ll need to get your Residence Certificate at the Division 1 Immigration Office on Chaengwathtana Road. The certificate will cost you 200 baht in Bangkok. On the first floor of the immigration office, you’ll find photo and copy centers if you need them.

If you apply for a Residence Certificate at Division 1, keep in mind you can’t get the certificate the same day. They’ll give you a slip with a number on it and mail you the certificate within two weeks. And if you don’t receive the certificate within two weeks, you can go back and pick it up with number on the slip that they give you.

Also, Division 1 only issues Resident Certificates to visa holders who have to report to immigration every 90 days. If you have a 30-day visa exempt stamp or a 60-day tourist visa, you must go to your embassy to get the Resident Certificate.

I'm seeing different lists of required docs in various places online. Nightmare.

A couple of years back at Jomtien, they wouldn't issue a residence cert for opening a bank account. Told me I needed a letter from embassy, that they'd only issue RC for driving license application.

I ended up agreeing to buy a year's accident insurance for Bangkok Bank to open an account for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fauxie said:

I see. But I wouldn't have this 90-day next report receipt when here on a single entry Non-O visa, right? I just have my TM. 6

When you arrive you have to do a tm30 then your 90 day report date starts from then I was told.

I'm here all the time so check at your immigration office.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

When you arrive you have to do a tm30 then your 90 day report date starts from then I was told.

I'm here all the time so check at your immigration office.

Oh. I've never had a TM. 30, I must confess. ???? I hope that doesn't cause too much of a problem.

10 minutes ago, fauxie said:

Oh. I've never had a TM. 30, I must confess. ???? I hope that doesn't cause too much of a problem.

Not big problems but fines may have to be paid. 

A lot of stuff has changed since I have been here over the years. 

That's the reason for me telling you go to your province immigration office when you arrive at your home of stay. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Not big problems but fines may have to be paid. 

A lot of stuff has changed since I have been here over the years. 

That's the reason for me telling you go to your province immigration office when you arrive at your home of stay. 

I see. So, when I left the quarantine hotel and came home I should've filed a TM. 30? I'm wondering how or where I would've obtained one upon entering Thailand and being funneled to my stay at the hotel. Much of this is new to me, though I've been here for half my life lol. Crazy docs and hoops.

20 minutes ago, fauxie said:

I see. So, when I left the quarantine hotel and came home I should've filed a TM. 30? I'm wondering how or where I would've obtained one upon entering Thailand and being funneled to my stay at the hotel. Much of this is new to me, though I've been here for half my life lol. Crazy docs and hoops.

Well that's what my friends told me, one friend recently from UK came home from Phuket to Sukhothai and the place was flooded.

He telephoned immigration to say he was flooded in at home and they just took his name and said don't bother coming to the office.

• Like 1