Can you use a walkie Talkie bought on lazada in thailand

oporhatch

I was looking at buying 2 walkie talkies for when me and my Mrs work on the farm , its quite large 150 rai ..........sometimes we have to search high and low to find each other, if we move of the beaten track.

don't like carrying a phone and the signal is poor/non existent if you are not at the top of the hill...

So I was looking at a walkie talkie  - I understand its illegal to bring them in,, but I was just going to buy a couple from lazada or Shopee thailand .  Will I have any issue with this plan ??

Also could someone advise of ones they use which is Ok .........if possible , not looking for any  expensive , as we are only on the farm about 100 days a year.

Any help would be appreciated  

regards 

I am a licensed Ham operator with a Thai radio amateur license HF-VHF. So I know what I am talking about. The answer on you questions is NO.

You need a license for all kind of radio transmitters, even a PMR or Walky Talkie. In case they catch you I don't come to visit you in jail. I know cases been catched.... don' t want to replace them. So one advise: DON'T DO IT !!!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't cell phones cover your need?

21 hours ago, oporhatch said:

don't like carrying a phone and the signal is poor/non existent if you are not at the top of the hill...

Yes you missed a bit.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the replies

Little confused by a couple of the comments though as they slightly contradict 

1 )  Since you can buy licence-exempt (red colour) walkie-talkies in Thailand anyway ...............I read this , so buy a red colour one from lazada !!   

2) You need a license for all kind of radio transmitters, even a PMR or Walky Talkie. -   So from this are the red colour ones illegal  !!

Hopefully this can be clarified 

regards

• Like 2

245mhz CB radios are okay for unlicenced use, lower powered ones (under 500mW) are also excempt from licence to own.

more high powered ones will require a licence to own, which is trivial to make, the shop selling them can usually arrange them for you, will require ID and house registration, probably easier if you have a Thai person do it.

Having the licence to own means you can hand it over to your workers, or anyone and they can use it with no problem, you can also buy it and not get the licence and no police would batter an eye at you, you can get it from a 2nd hand shop or whatever

permanent installation with big antenna and mobile station in cars will also require separate permission.

These radios made especially for Thai law will have their body in red plastic

the emphasis is that it must be red bodied radios, there are other class of CB for marine and offshore explosive environment use colored yellow, just look for the red ones, they cost around 1000-3000 baht, low power ones (500mW) don't need any paper work at all, the big 1-5watt power requires licence to own/have, but it's not really enforced and you're not breaking the law by using them

Things on Lazada and Shopee shipped in from China could be intended for other countries and might not be legal for Thailand

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oporhatch said:

Thanks for the replies

Little confused by a couple of the comments though as they slightly contradict 

1 )  Since you can buy licence-exempt (red colour) walkie-talkies in Thailand anyway ...............I read this , so buy a red colour one from lazada !!   

2) You need a license for all kind of radio transmitters, even a PMR or Walky Talkie. -   So from this are the red colour ones illegal  !!

Hopefully this can be clarified 

regards

small red ones (<500mw power) - no need for any paperwork

big red ones - need licence to own - not hard to get - if you don't get it it's not a big deal

red ones are free to use, means if you have a licence to own, you can hand it to friends or workers to use

importing radio things always require an import licence, radio equipment will need to have Thai stamp with serial no., if your online seller ship the thing from China, even if it's a legal red radio you could be asked to turn up to custom with an import licence, people get caught out with things like mobile phone and wifi router even though the same model is already sold here

6 hours ago, easydoor said:

am a licensed Ham operator with a Thai radio amateur license HF-VHF. So I know what I am talking about. The answer on you questions is NO.

You need a license for all kind of radio transmitters, even a PMR or Walky Talkie.

So how do you go about getting the licence?

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

The punishment for using unlicenced transceivers in Thailand usually always involves jail time! (I'm previously a radio ham in Thailand, so know the law and previous jail-time cases).

Since you can buy licence-exempt (red colour) walkie-talkies in Thailand anyway, why take the risk?

That's what I thought. Red ones being the way to go as they don't need a licence.

But if it is important to the OP why not just apply for a licence?

On 10/30/2021 at 6:04 PM, oporhatch said:

if we move of the beaten track.

You might be interested in setting up your very own LoRa  mesh system

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have the current link to the form required to apply for radio (black) licence running around in NBTC without any ideas and can this form when found be completed online ???? Posted June 2023

Edited by cliveb

2 hours ago, cliveb said:

Does anyone have the current link to the form required to apply for radio (black) licence running around in NBTC without any ideas and can this form when found be completed online ???? Posted June 2023

What do you mean by a 'black' radio?  If you mean a black walkie-talkie that operates typically over the range of 136 - 154MHz, then only the police, utilitity operators and licenced radio amateurs with reciprocal Thai ham licences can legally own these.

I have a 'black' walkie-talkie for use on the 2 metre ham band.  At the NBTC you need to go to building 7 ground-floor which deals with all kinds of personal licences (CB and radio amateurs).  It would help you a lot if you can speak/read Thai, but the staff are helpful ????  You have to apply in person for the licence - it cannot be applied for online AFAIK.

On the Amorn sign above it says that to purchase a black radio, you need to show your ID card, house book and licence.  I was able to buy a black radio by showing my UK passport, Thai ham radio licence and lifetime membership card of the Radio Amateur Society of Thailand.

Edited by simon43

18 hours ago, simon43 said:

What do you mean by a 'black' radio?  If you mean a black walkie-talkie that operates typically over the range of 136 - 154MHz, then only the police, utilitity operators and licenced radio amateurs with reciprocal Thai ham licences can legally own these.

I have a 'black' walkie-talkie for use on the 2 metre ham band.  At the NBTC you need to go to building 7 ground-floor which deals with all kinds of personal licences (CB and radio amateurs).  It would help you a lot if you can speak/read Thai, but the staff are helpful ????  You have to apply in person for the licence - it cannot be applied for online AFAIK.

On the Amorn sign above it says that to purchase a black radio, you need to show your ID card, house book and licence.  I was able to buy a black radio by showing my UK passport, Thai ham radio licence and lifetime membership card of the Radio Amateur Society of Thailand.

based in pattaya is an office here ??

If you buy from Amorn then they offer a service where they will apply for the NTSC license for you. You pay them the license fee and an agency fee, sign a few documents and give them about a month or so.

Two years ago the NTSC charged 500 baht plus vat per license. Each transceiver needs it's own license.

the black 'walkie talkies' are for amateur radio (HAM) operators, 

you must have HAM licence to own or operate one,

to get one, you'll have to get training from NBTC and get tested, skills include up to sending and receiving morse code and various theory tests, if you can't navigate NBTC's website, you're probably lacking skills to make it through the process

and

even if you have HAM licence, you can't just buy a couple of them for your staff to use in a business

This is not a formality like the license to own the red ones where the shop can do it for you, this is like license to own a gun serious 

I just recently bought a baofeng walkie talkie from lazada too take back home it says free license but couldn't be sure about the laws in Thailand after reading the comments, should I just get one to be safe or not use it until I return back home?