1 year+ stay in Thailand

I'm under 50. I have funds to support my stay but they are in investments/crypto and my bank account just has a few thousand $.

Are my choices and expectations correct for a December entry?

1. Enter on visa exempt or SETV, together with Thailand Pass.

2. Apply for Non-O Volunteer visa via agent.

3. Leave Thailand again and get the Non-O Volunteer visa at a Thai embassy of my choice.

4. Re-enter Thailand with another Thailand Pass.

5. Extend the the Non-O Volunteer visa every 90 days at immigration office, up to one year max.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Which is nothing to do with the organisation he will be volunteering with. As you said, it'll cost using an agent. The organisation may be able to suggest something better. After all, he won't be the first volunteer they've had.

My apologies for being unclear. I do not have an organisation and I am okay with the agent fee.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mockingbird said:

Not surprising. I suppose all the covid options will be ending. I would imagine the current covid extension will be the last.

It only means agents are having problems doing the under the table volunteer visas now.

It has nothing to with immigration normal requirements or the 60 day covid 19 extensions.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

About time too.

Don't get too excited ????, apparently might be an option again in a few months, especially if their "no quarantine" reopening is a failure. There's always "legal" options for people under 50 who have the money and want to stay without getting married. Agents won't be going hungry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It only means agents are having problems doing the under the table volunteer visas now.

It has nothing to with immigration normal requirements or the 60 day covid 19 extensions.

Yea I get that. The point of my post was that with everything opening up again, pre covid normality on the visa front is returning. 

It was widely known last month that these agent assisted visas were coming to an end.

• Confused 1

Why not do it more legally (not any scam component as in not volunteering) by applying for an ED Visa in your home country and securing the visa prior to entering LOS, and attending school a few hours a week.

If you think this is a viable option and you stay on Phuket try BKK Language School (Patong). Khun Gag the CEO is a decent enough guy. Good 1:1 teaching too. Google will find it easily for you.

A few years back when I did the ED Visa route as a test run of living there before returning to home country to make retirement visa application and returning to live permanently it was a great way to learn language and assimilate more easily. 

Back then it was possible to renew for another year at years end (not sure as to this 2nd year extension now). Reporting to Phuket Town IO every 90 was easy as Gag did all this, all you had to dow as turn up pay the renewal fee @ 1900 baht plus the extra creative fee processes fee ???? (nudge nudge) to make sure it was renewed. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Why not do it more legally (not any scam component as in not volunteering) by applying for an ED Visa in your home country and securing the visa prior to entering LOS, and attending school a few hours a week.

If you think this is a viable option and you stay on Phuket try BKK Language School (Patong). Khun Gag the CEO is a decent enough guy. Good 1:1 teaching too. Google will find it easily for you.

A few years back when I did the ED Visa route as a test run of living there before returning to home country to make retirement visa application and returning to live permanently it was a great way to learn language and assimilate more easily. 

Back then it was possible to renew for another year at years end (not sure as to this 2nd year extension now). Reporting to Phuket Town IO every 90 was easy as Gag did all this, all you had to dow as turn up pay the renewal fee @ 1900 baht plus the extra creative fee processes fee ???? (nudge nudge) to make sure it was renewed. 

I do like learning Thai. Is the ED doable if I'm going to stay in Bangkok?

13 hours ago, Caldera said:

Some seem more optimistic than others about their availability in the near future though. Who knows!

Maybe @ThaiVisaCentre could comment on the volunteer visa situation from an agent's point of view.

A visa agent just told me that the current situation is because of 'a rotation of new officers'. She's hoping for good news by the middle of the month.

Edited by underthesky
more info
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

From my correspondence with a few school last month unless anything changed you can’t apply for a ED visa outside Thailand at the moment.

i was told I had to come in on a tourist visa and convert within Thailand to get a ED visa by all school I contacted in Phuket at the current time.

The prices being quoted were not cheap and involved a 5,000 extension fee every 3 months at immigration also.

Thankfully we have the STV option repeated that covers how long I need to stay so didn’t follow up the ED visa route any further.

but unless anything changed it a very expensive option at the moment.

Lets be realistic and forget the volunteer visa. First of all make sure stay in Pattaya. Secondly you can either enter either visa exempt and visit an agent and pay about 25k for a combined Non O and retirement extension or get a Non O outside the country and get a retirement extension for 13K. Just wonder up Soi Bukeau and visit an agent.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, jimn said:

Lets be realistic and forget the volunteer visa. First of all make sure stay in Pattaya. Secondly you can either enter either visa exempt and visit an agent and pay about 25k for a combined Non O and retirement extension or get a Non O outside the country and get a retirement extension for 13K. Just wonder up Soi Bukeau and visit an agent.

Did you miss OP first words.......

"I'm under 50."

BTW using and agent for non O retirement and extension has nothing to do with living in Pattaya. Even agents in Pattaya use up country immigration.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/2/2021 at 9:24 AM, DrJack54 said:

Did you miss OP first words.......

"I'm under 50."

BTW using and agent for non O retirement and extension has nothing to do with living in Pattaya. Even agents in Pattaya use up country immigration.

Yes of course I did "red face" lol

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2021 at 9:02 AM, Ohyesuare said:

Don't get too excited ????, apparently might be an option again in a few months, especially if their "no quarantine" reopening is a failure. There's always "legal" options for people under 50 who have the money and want to stay without getting married. Agents won't be going hungry.

I would be interested in knowing the other options for people under 50 who have some money and would like to stay. 

I also have the Volunteer visa expiring at the end of December and all agents say it cannot be renewed now. As of now, any Volunteer visa cannot be renewed or obtained new.

Especially those who have it with the foundation "Prans Hanya" (Chiang Mai), the immigration officers don't want to deal with that as the foundation has been shut down. 

Actually an immigration officer at the immigration told me that I should do a Visa run. My visa agent told me the exact same story today. 

I don't even know if is possible doing a visa run these days.

Edited by matteo73
  • Like 1