Landlord Breaking Contract after 2 months to put rent up 20,000 baht!!

The story doesn't really make sense for the landlord to ask you to leave like this as he would have paid the agent to place you and will have to do so again that combined with any occupancy gap between you leaving and finding a higher paying tenant would probably lead to a similar net income.

Personally I believe the agent may be untrustworthy as they placed you paid for by the landlord and may be benefitting from you leaving through more income either from reletting or you offering to pay more to the landlord, which they may be supporting but telling you another story. Maybe the owner thinks you want to leave and that why the unit is on facebook. 

While I agree with other comments that in these circumstances better to leave I suggest you say you will leave but want to talk with owner direct on the details of why!! Be careful as your deposit may be at risk in this process so if you agree to leave get in writing you pay no more rent and your deposit will off set the rent. Also ask for compensation as you have a cost to move. You may not get it but worth asking.

6 hours ago, itsari said:

I do know there was amendments to lease law of property in 2008 . Maximum deposit one months rent for example. 

The changes where enacted in 2018 and only affects landlords that have 5 or more properties.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 5:35 PM, SamuiAddict said:

Update to the situation - I've found a much nicer place, sea view, more modern and a good price.  Locked in 1 year contract (hopefully they honor it) via a proper agent (Remax).  

So from the bad comes some good.  Start packing - again and move out 1st December.  And hopefully this place will sit empty and the tw@t will learn a lesson - but probably not. 

Anyhoo, thanks for all the advice chaps.  Onwards and upwards!

No one seems to have seen your post, all too busy giving conflicting advice. My only advice is - do NOT leave a forwarding address, i.e keep your new address confidential, only notify those who need to know so important mail doesn't go to this now bad address.

Make sure you notify utilities people of your moving out date and take readings with pictures of water and electricity meters and go see them with those readings, plus arrange utilities with your new address. You will need to pay a meter deposit and guarantee again for electricity and water so if not transferable you'll need to get those money's back to use on the new address. Either way make sure the old contracts are properly cancelled as they can trace you if the need to. Likewise AIS or other tv/phone/internet contracts will need to be cancelled or transferred and you need to tell your cell phone provider your new address - a legal requirement in any even. Lastly of course you need to do a TM30 at the new address and make sure Immigration get it as your 90 day reports will also need to reflect your new address.

Lastly as others have said - as you are unlikely to get your deposit back pay no more rent. When people cheat you right to your face you owe them no consideration. Me - if i was sure I could not be found after leaving I might consider investing in a can of black paint and decorating some of the walls for him, you know the sort of thing, "Cochon, Chien, <deleted>" and so on in large letters to demonstrate solidarity with France! You probably won't because you sound a bit of a gentleman. 

Anyway, your story has a happy ending and that is really great and I'm happy for you.

7 hours ago, itsari said:

I do know there was amendments to lease law of property in 2008 . Maximum deposit one months rent for example .

If you decided you want three months rent deposit you would be heading for deep water . Fine and or jail sentence 

My point was is that enough to nullify a rental contract in its entirety? I doubt it, I imagine that it only attracts the penalty you describe (financial or jail). 

I can sympathize with your situation.  The same thing happened to me years ago.  The landlord's secretary called a meeting of all tenants and informed us that the rent was being raised from 6000฿ to 25,000฿ & higher for larger appartments the next month!  We asked if those still under contract could remain until it expired.   NO was the answer and it would be fruitless to argue or even sue.  Needless to say it was a hassle having little time trying to find another place while packing and then moving.  This is Thailand - TIT!

On 11/2/2021 at 9:24 AM, oznomad said:

A grand plan, until the landlord or his agent disconnects the electricity. 

Actually the landlord can't unless he wants to breach the contract.  The terms of the contract specifically states that tenant has to move out if the Landlord has sold the house (which he hasn't).  Since the sale is fake, OP could have just lived there until the landlord produced documents proving the sale.  Regardless, he found a better place so kudos to him.