Landlord Breaking Contract after 2 months to put rent up 20,000 baht!!

I'm surprised there is nothing in the contract from your agent to cover this. I know when we got our first rental contract years ago there was.

I now rent out properties in BKK and there is a clause in there for both parties where one party wishes to break the contract and the subsequent penalty fees ( this covers if I wish to sell/terminate or the renter wishes to leave early ).

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

I saw something similar happen last April (not me) where the landlord wanted them out, I dont know the full details but this tenant did move out, from what I can see the future deal the landlord thought he had fell through the property has been empty ever since 

quite common I would think...

what I might do is attempt a compromise telling the landlord you will stay until he actually finds another tenant... that might be a long time and would work well for the landlord if he is smart... 

• Sad 1

You guys always complain about the so called nanny states but we have rules and regulations and

they are mostly followed. If I have an rent contract for a certain time the landlord or real estate

agent can not brake that contract and certainly can't ask for a rent increase before the lease runs

out. And secondly my deposit does go into a trust fund operated by the government and the landlord 

will never be able to touch. The government stopped the landlords from increasing rents since the pandemic started, and also from eviction an renter because of hardship. I have rented now for 6 years 

(since I came back from Thailand) and never had an rent increase. I feel sorry for Thais and Farangs

who have to put up with all that nonsense in Thailand. And no I am not a Thai hater.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

The government stopped the landlords from increasing rents since the pandemic started, and also from eviction an renter because of hardship.

Yo Meat

so, if the renter can't pay and can't be evicted, isn't that a transfer of hardship onto an innocent landlord who has done nothing improper but had the misfortune to rent to a person who cannot meet their obligations? 

What if the landlord has a mortgage or other life expenses that the rent is required for? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Yo Meat

so, if the renter can't pay and can't be evicted, isn't that a transfer of hardship onto an innocent landlord who has done nothing improper but had the misfortune to rent to a person who cannot meet their obligations? 

What if the landlord has a mortgage or other life expenses that the rent is required for? 

The landlord also get support from the government

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

yeah ......   that'll work

For me it will, for mousses who only know to run as hard as they can, it won't.

Been here for 40 years and can't understand why people are so scared, most likely mousses in their own country too.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Simple Jack said:

I hope you get this sorted mate.

Like others have said. Might just be best to pack up yer baws and leave.  After the last 14 months? Who really needs more stress. ????

Take it easy man.

Yeah that's what I'm gonna do, you're right the stress just isn't worth it.  This post if anything has helped me relax a bit anyway so appreciate all the advice etc

4 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Your actual contract is 6 months and you are told to leave once that expires right, so whatever you discussed informally to extend later isn’t relevant.

No its actually in the contract, the guys a tool.  But ahh well, f^&k him!

So the OP moved in on 1st September. On the 30th October he was given a notice to quit within 2 months which is 2 months earlier than his contract finishes. Fighting over 2 months only!

Ask for a payment in lieu of breaking the contract early. If no payment, don't move out until you are ready or the contract term ends. 

Don't expect him to pay your deposit back, he will probably find all sorts of excuses not to pay it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris.B said:

So the OP moved in on 1st September. On the 30th October he was given a notice to quit within 2 months which is 2 months earlier than his contract finishes. Fighting over 2 months only!

Ask for a payment in lieu of breaking the contract early. If no payment, don't move out until you are ready or the contract term ends. 

Don't expect him to pay your deposit back, he will probably find all sorts of excuses not to pay it.

4 months earlier than his contract finishes, moved in 1st September a 6 month contract would finish 1st March 2022

• Confused 1

The owner is banking on that the op will move well before the 2 months period, I don't know of anyone that would want to spend New Years Eve house moving.

Back in August owner wasn't sure if Thailand would reopen or not, so was quite happy to enter into a 6 month contract with a option for a further 6 months

you have to figure owner really wants op out by December 15th to allow couple of days clean and ready for new renter for the Xmas and New Year  period and then onwards

• Like 1

Maybe the French landlord does not know anyone is renting his place.  Maybe the agent has rented to you off the books …???

The years I rented, I can’t tell you how many strange stories I ran into, I later figured out, 90 percent or more, due to lying commission seeking people.  They will happily misdirect you for larger commissions …I always wondered after I bought a house, why anyone would bother to forward rent to me rather than just tell me  “nobody has rented it yet.”   

12 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Ha....I do the same...no way to delete?

Yes me too.

After the third large beer Chang. LOL.

• Haha 1

Assuming the country does open up and the masses flock back.

Better to be looking for a new rental now whilst prices are down/negotiable rather than in two months when they might be jacked up high (like your landlord).

Tell you landlord to return your deposit so you can start looking today.

8 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

When the deposit is paid back, if you can have access to an outside drain attached to the villa, place some dead fish in the drain, make it almost unrentable to any prospective tenant ???? 

but thai's like the smell of dead fish sitting in the sun all day,   so a Thai would move in tomorrow .   Lol

• Haha 1

If you have signed contract...

1. change locks on the house

2. advise agent you have no intention of leaving before end of 6 month period, and have no intention of discussing matter further.

3. Tell agent/owner to contact your attorney or police if this is not satisfactory.

4. Move out at end of 6 months, as prolonged stress not worth it.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, SamuiAddict said:

Now I know this is Thailand and money talks and the owner has probably got a louder voice than me - and there probably isn't much I can do.  But I would like to know where I stand with this so I can consider what to do.  Its a completely dodgy situation full of lies and deceit and I hate getting f@^&ed over like this.

Yes it is, he does, there isn't, you don't stand at all ( unless you pay a lawyer heaps, probably for nothing ),yes it is, and you are.

• Haha 1

While not specifically cogent to the OP, some might find the below legal opinion regarding foreign language and Thai language contracts in Thailand of some value.  Most lease/rental agreements I've seen for casual residential accommodation are either written in Thinglish or are so basic in their terms and conditions that 95% of eventualities are not even covered or are so vague as to be largely unenforecable.

"A contract in another language in Thailand is legally binding provided that both parties understand the content of the contract and the contract is not in conflict with Thai law. They should at least be able to read, write and speak the language fluently or they could argue in a later stage that they did not understand what they signed and therefore there was no meeting of minds on details and the contract does not meet the requirements under Thai law of a valid contract. When a contract is in Thai and another language the basic principle under Thai law (section 14 of the Civil and Commercial Code) is that the Thai version of a contract shall govern if it is not possible to ascertain which language was intended to govern. Any contract that must be registered with the government must be in Thai language, when it has to go through court is must also be a certified translation when a foreign language has been used in the contract."

Edited by Gsxrnz

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

You never know the agent might have done some dodgy deal with you thinking the owner will not becoming back, and now all of a sudden the owner is on his way

right  !    ......   who knows what goes on behind the scenes ...   it's all for money

• Like 2

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

right  !    ......   who knows what goes on behind the scenes ...   it's all for money

Ive lived here long enough and seen the way some of them perform I know of 2 agents who moved into some properties, got caught eventually

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

If you think thats bad I knew an agent years ago sold the same house twice, how he managed it Im not sure

• Haha 1