Landlord Breaking Contract after 2 months to put rent up 20,000 baht!!

Hello guys

I'm in a really frustrating situation with my landlord.  We've been in this place since 1st September, with a contract for 6 months that also includes a promise for renewal of another 6 months if we wanted.  So effectively 12 months.

The owner is a French guy who I've never met and I've been dealing with his Thai agents.  2 days ago I get an ominous message about the agent coming to see me about the contract.  I ask him if its anything to worry about and he says no not really, just need to talk about something.

The agent gets here and takes a deep breath - and proceeds to tell me what is happening and what the owner is planning on doing.  That the owner wants to break our contract and needs me to leave within 2 months.  The agent gives me a bit more info then he maybe should of and I respect him for that as he is a genuinely nice guy.  He tells me that the reason for breaking the contract is so that he can put the price up another 20,000 baht but what we will be told is that the villa has been sold.  The agent says that he has a get out in the contract relating to if the villa is sold.  The contract does not mention anything like this anywhere.

And as well as that we know that the villa hasn't been sold and is already being advertised at the higher rate on Facebook etc- BY THE SAME FRENCH OWNER NO LESS!!!!  No ones ever even give us a chance to pay more (I wouldn't). - all we've been given is the ultimatum to leave.

Now I know this is Thailand and money talks and the owner has probably got a louder voice than me - and there probably isn't much I can do.  But I would like to know where I stand with this so I can consider what to do.  Its a completely dodgy situation full of lies and deceit and I hate getting f@^&ed over like this.

Any advice would be very much appreciated - even if its just "tuck your tail and leave"  

Thanks

A Very Disheartened, Sean

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

15 minutes ago, steven100 said:

SamuiAddict  ........     take this advice ....         ( you've been given 2 months notice which is pretty good ) it's not like a week.

do you want hassle and grief ......   ?

do you want to get mixed up in a stressful situation which likely will amount to the owner winning .... ?

do you want to cause friction and have some Thai thug cause problem in a bar or whatever later ...  ?

because I can tell you that even though you may well be within your rights and bla ... bla ... bla .....  

TIT .... it's not Australia or the UK ,     

just move on,  find another nice place and go from their ,   why give yourself a big problem because that's what will happen if you start trying the Lawyer act .........

You don't need a lawyer, you just don't move out and wait what he will do.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I believe the landlord can ask you to leave if he has sold the property or wishes to move in to the dwelling him self .

Asking for an increase of rent within the rental agreement is not possible .

I would consider taking the owner to a civil court for enforcing the contract . 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1