Thailand expects one million foreign visitors between November and March

webfact

22 minutes ago, Oblomov said:

By 'free' I simply mean that there is some accounting for what the govt does and that truth seeps out regardless of how it is obfuscated by those in power - the truth may lag behind by years sometimes but it gets out

Of course no country is perfect or even fair to most of its citizens but silly remarks about OZ aside, there are ways to expose and censor those that abuse power in some countries better than others.  We're all in varying degrees of a terrible mess, I agree with that.

Well I would have to disagree.  Most nations including the USA are run by those who control the media and therefore the only "truth" that seeps out is what they wish to feed as propaganda to the public.  The media is complicit with those in power.  

In terms of being corrupt, in Thailand you pass "tea money" in envelopes to manipulate what you want accomplished.  In the USA you get insider information on stock deals, get someone who wants to bribe you to purchase real estate from you at more than it is worth.  You make a "charitable donation to the foundation set up by the politician, or more recently you sell worthless paintings to gain access.  All of that is shielded by the media and if the truth does come out it is via social media channels which are also censoring information. 

If there was accountability for ones misdeeds there would be several former politicians in jail right now for lying to congress, destroying evidence requested under subpoena, and selling U.S. strategic materials to foreign adversaries.  Again, all of those never really having the bright light of honest journalism exposing them. 

Hitler was at least honest when his cabinet included a minister or propaganda. In the USA we call those press secretaries. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, alyx said:

I am sorry to say that you definitely have the wrong approach: it will never work and too difficult to control.

Bear with me

1) Upon arrival the traveller is offered a complimentary debit card from the bank of their choice ❤️ and ???? 

2) Granted a one way transportation to the bank where the above cited amount is deposited ???? 

3) Transportation to the hotel ( both) paid with the debit card ????‍♀️ 

4) Upon departure export of currency not being allowed,  ???? one may spend the rest in duty free ???? 

And what is not spent …. ???? 

it is a win win situation ( not for the visitor ???? mind you )

Sounds like a plan - it also ensures the regular Thai won't see a baht of it and the money can be drawn straight up to those that don't need it as is the case almost everywhere now - we joke but all of their restrictions and protocols suggest that would be the preferred model

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AllanB said:

So 43 down, if they are proper tourists, 999,957 to go, so they can sit in the bars and drink water.

I know of 10 Japanese business men arriving this week (not sure date, maybe they are part of that 43), they definitely wont be tourists.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

So many lies , deceit,  and scams  from the Thai government and you clowns are falling all over yourselves booking flights within days of Thailand Pass (Scam) and having to cancel you just can,t get into Thailand fast enough. You are prime bait to be scammed before, during and after you arrive. Giving the Thai government some credit they are pros at jerking your chain and every time they add one more requirement or fee you idiots keep taking the bait. The very same idiots that get constantly scammed the moment they get off the plane. No one but to blame but yourself you ooze desperation and stupidity in your actions. And the Thai government knows this.

Actually the Thai government knows full well that the figures TAT trumpet are nonsense.

It is propoganda , aimed squarely at the domestic market , no international traveller is expected to take it seriously.

• Like 1

15,000 in the first 5 days of November - very likely, My KLM flight was half full today and easily over a 1,000 passengers at Suvarnabhumi while i was there - the arrivals hall outside baggage reclaim was packed with people waiting for their quarantine hotels.

• Like 2

There will be people coming , i'm sure , if i'm allowed ( i am vaccinated , but covid cases rising fast here) i will come in January ( under the present rules is ok for me) . I guess many people are wanting to come , but having 1 million in 4 months ... that's a lot .

On 11/2/2021 at 12:27 AM, sammieuk1 said:

When Prayut comes back from Glasgow he can bring a tartan army of high spenders to get the billions rolling in ????

Nah, they all go to Scarborough caravan camps for Scots Fortnight in the UK high summer and spend all their money on booze there. They haven't got enough money left for a winter holiday

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RobU said:

I am getting the same kind of messages from friends and family I have created a stock reply i.e.

Hi <name>

Thanks for your kind message

I am sorry to tell you that what you read and see in the media is total fantasy.

Thailand is still locked down, almost impossible to travel between regions even if you are vaccinated.

Most Entertainment venues, bars and restaurants are closed.

Ridiculously high prices for anything that is open

Mandatory Insurance is sky high and difficult to get

Officials are extremely hostile, including the Thai embassy in London

Mandatory hotel stays at unbelievably high prices on arrival. and possible detention in a hospitel (yes that's the correct spelling) for a further 7 to 14 days at hyper inflated prices

Forced to download an app that doesn't work to your phone which may well be contaminated with malware.

There's more but I am now starting to cry, so I'll sign off

Lots of love

RobU

Saves a lot of repetitive finger fiddling 55555

That is one of the best posts I have read in months about the TRUTH. I plan to use your same style letter for my friends.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 4:30 AM, Oblomov said:

One problem - we come from free countries with transparent and accountable governments and we don't get led around by our own governments let alone by those of places we visit freely

Oh, I think it's time for you to take off your rose colored spectacles, wake up and smell the napalm.

• Haha 1

Well, it appears their capacity to process CoE is 1500 a day. Assuming these 1500 per day are all coming within the month max capacity appears to be about 30k. Excluding weekends, Thai holidays this looks like about 30k pm or about 25% of their warrantless speculation.

End of March is really hottiing up.

No one's coming for songkran given alcohol rules and the half dozen lockdowns we've had already.

I think this is a big lol

• Thanks 1

I don't need to  as I'm well aware of the deep rooted faults but there is much more accountability and transparency and far fewer get away with malfeasance in office -  by 'freedom' I simply mean that if we do take advantage of the good education here and then work hard, we have a level of economic and social freedom. Silly comments about napalm aside,  it's good we can report on our seedy royals and expose govt incompetence and faults in the police etc...

Perfect ?  No!  but relatively free  to do and say as I like - yes it is

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 5:16 AM, RobU said:

I am getting the same kind of messages from friends and family I have created a stock reply i.e.

Hi <name>

Thanks for your kind message

I am sorry to tell you that what you read and see in the media is total fantasy.

Thailand is still locked down, almost impossible to travel between regions even if you are vaccinated.

Most Entertainment venues, bars and restaurants are closed.

Ridiculously high prices for anything that is open

Mandatory Insurance is sky high and difficult to get

Officials are extremely hostile, including the Thai embassy in London

Mandatory hotel stays at unbelievably high prices on arrival. and possible detention in a hospitel (yes that's the correct spelling) for a further 7 to 14 days at hyper inflated prices

Forced to download an app that doesn't work to your phone which may well be contaminated with malware.

There's more but I am now starting to cry, so I'll sign off

Lots of love

RobU

Saves a lot of repetitive finger fiddling 55555

I'll put that on Auto Post

• Haha 1

On 11/2/2021 at 3:33 AM, Oblomov said:

I do of course, but my point being that for many, those 2 weeks or a month of holiday time are the time where we are relatively free from work, so being about to spend some hard earned wages (in most cases)  would only do so in way that we felt 'free' for that time. We're no longer travelling to whre we'd normally travel but to the places we can get in and out without too much added expense and limits on what we can do in this 'free' time.

I get your point completely though

I didn't ever support the lockdown restrictions, rushed through Parliament after scaring half the population with lurid data bereft of factual context, and this creeping consolidation of powers should be resisted and will be in the countries that are more cynical about their so called leaders.

....and if ya hadn't noticed, everything covid related was used as an convenient excuse to impose the oddest and most repressive restrictions and cultural/economic changes [worldwide], most of which will remain in one fashion or another even though not necessary. It's all rather subtle.

10 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

....and if ya hadn't noticed, everything covid related was used as an convenient excuse to impose the oddest and most repressive restrictions and cultural/economic changes [worldwide], most of which will remain in one fashion or another even though not necessary. It's all rather subtle.

I'd noticed of course and the sad thing was how easily so many were led by fear into accepting these restrictions and then  changes, even when data was so tendentiously and selectively released without any factual context. And still, even now with all of the medical evidence, so little is being done to encourage people to take more responsibility for their own health/weight etc.. Robust immune responses come from good diet/exercise and that's something we can all improve. 

Not sure how subtle  it was though as in UK these things were forced through after eliciting fear in the more timid, as well as those accepting an agenda that was far from truthful - no idea why people were so credulous towards Johnson considering the lies he told during the Brexit campaign.

We'll all live with the consequences of the restrictions and lockdowns  for a long time.