Now that Thailand has "reopened", will Covid-19 extensions cease from November?

On 11/4/2021 at 1:01 AM, audaciousnomad said:

Got covid ext done today at Bangkok-MTT (Counter K).  Verbally was told "This is your last one. You should buy a plane ticket."  Thanked the nice lady and said "OK" with a smile. She took my 1900THB and 15 mins later I got my passport back stamped until 22-Jan-2022. ????

Sounds like you had the one I had!! “You go home January don’t forget “ !!

52 minutes ago, Kevinphall said:

Sounds like you had the one I had!! “You go home January don’t forget “ !!

Yup. Same-same!  ????   I think they are obligated to say that to us. I have been told "this is your last one" since way back in March.  Technically, they are telling the truth. It is indeed "the last one", until the higher-ups extend the program....then you have a "new last one.".  ????  

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 1:21 AM, zekelin said:

Yeah the problem is... untill when?

Its a stupid strategy extend this extension every 60 days, and do it in the last minute of the current extension. People need to make plans with a little bit of time.

Yes, people on covid extensions should make plans to leave asap. There should be more regular flights now, so there really is no excuse. I would say when it's easy to cross land borders (not sure of that situation), then the covid extensions will be terminated. I think many are doing border runs ansd they cannot do that yet. Hence the covid extensions remain in place. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DavisH said:

There should be more regular flights now, so there really is no excuse.

You state that and then have each way bet with covid extensions being tied to land borders being closed. 

Which one is it.

Personally my guess is that covid extensions will continue until some land borders are open. 

That won't be November 27 and hence their issue will continue till end of January..... minimum.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 12:56 AM, WEBBYB808 said:

How do you figure that?  I been here getting the covid extensions  since they first started.  At 1900every 60 days.  Thats only 11600a year.  Cheaper than a retirement  visa and no special  requirements  other than COVID trapped 

Sorry for my mistake on the costs involved with the 60 day extensions  , But the more important point is i believe the 60 day extensions are hear to stay .

On 11/3/2021 at 4:05 AM, seff55 said:

11,400฿ + spending on food, rent, transportation, pharmacy, etc... don't forget that. ☝️

If logic ever played a part in it, Thailand would have long ago implemented a remote worker visa and enjoyed just pulling in foreign money to be dumped into the local economy. But here we are. TIT.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, itsari said:

But the more important point is i believe the 60 day extensions are hear to stay .

No chance IMO, they where denying entry to people for playing the system prior to Covid. The Covid extensions where a really nice gesture at the start ... that ensured at least some money stayed in the country. Why would they keep them going when they're trying to attract millionaires. They've already cut the visa exempt back to normal.

I'd say definite extend again until January then if all has gone well with the opening up and they can reduce the entry requirements even more, the Covid extension will be history.

NO. Got a Longstay Visa (LV) here for only the second time when the Covid Amnesty for my (forced) Visa Exempt entry expired end Sept last year.Online Tourist Visa process had been unofficially stopped in UK even back then in March last year. Previously used those now cancelled Six Mth Tourist Visas to avoid local immi. LV process.

LV provided peace of mind and enabled my Yellow Book / National ID / Five Year DL. Took Govt. 7-10 days I think to introduce Covid Extention (CE) after Amnesty Expired. That delay was clearly intended to force people out or to get LV or generate large overstay fines. Poor and Dishonest Immigration Practice which they must feel “worked” sufficiently either practically and/ or politically; so been carrying on with that.

Certainly CE will continue after 27 Nov long gone. Govt. will continue to dishonestly delay announcing this, to see if they can move people out or get them to use LV agents…….But that “trick” only generally works once although there are always “new fish”. People figure out that unless, as good governance, Govt. officially cancel CE well in advance, it will certainly continue.Imm. in fact have no practical alternative method to legitimize & control so many ……and it’s a good supplemental earner.

Also, yes, CE a simple convenient “concession” for farangs who want to stay here without being able, or not wanting, to deal with the LV Immi. process.

5 minutes ago, Salerno said:

No chance IMO, they where denying entry to people for playing the system prior to Covid. The Covid extensions where a really nice gesture at the start ... that ensured at least some money stayed in the country. Why would they keep them going when they're trying to attract millionaires. They've already cut the visa exempt back to normal.

I'd say definite extend again until January then if all has gone well with the opening up and they can reduce the entry requirements even more, the Covid extension will be history.

Yes, pre covid the Thai immigration was getting tough as you say .

Covid has changed many peoples thinking the world over .

The statement if yours about Thailand only wanting millionaires is more hype than reality .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, itsari said:

The statement if yours about Thailand only wanting millionaires is more hype than reality .

It's certainly not reality, but I'm not sure the people floating those ideas in Government see that clearly 555

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

The Covid extensions where a really nice gesture at the start

People say that, but realistically speaking, this is a global problem that has seen the entirety of world travel grind to a halt and the issuing of visas in this area, which previously hinged on border runs, has pretty much done the same.  It isn't only Thailand that has relied on border hops to facilitate the issuing of visas, given the situation, visa amnesty is just a sensible and practical solution which most countries followed without half of the drama and xenophobia.

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Why would they keep them going when they're trying to attract millionaires.

Land borders are still closed, visa runs are out of the question, some people still feel unable to go home, and so on.  Just because a handful of tourists are prepared to jump through the hoops required to visit Thailand, doesn't mean that everyone has the option of flying back to Europe or America and then reentering Thailand.

Thailand benefits greatly in terms of workers and tourism from the land borders being open and that isn't just Westerners.  It would seem logical to allow covid extensions until everything is open as normal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Land borders are still closed, visa runs are out of the question, some people still feel unable to go home, and so on.  Just because a handful of tourists are prepared to jump through the hoops required to visit Thailand, doesn't mean that everyone has the option of flying back to Europe or America and then reentering Thailand.

The people mostly using the extensions are the same people that where playing the system previously. They can spin it as much as they like, "real tourists" don't tend to have annual leases, cars/bikes, stay in the one place etc. 

There are options for everyone to stay long-term regardless of age (costly for under 50s certainly) so can't say I was losing sleep over the pre-covid crackdown and I certainly won't if they do it again.

5 minutes ago, Salerno said:

The people mostly using the extensions are the same people that where playing the system previously. They can spin it as much as they like, "real tourists" don't tend to have annual leases, cars/bikes, stay in the one place etc.

I think whichever way you look at it, whether playing the system or using it as intended, the system is temporarily off-line and so those that previously would have used it are being allowed to continue to stay via covid extensions, which is really to everyone's benefit.

Seems reasonable and tolerable, given the global circumstances.  Doesn't really feel like a time to focus on issues that are fairly inconsequential in the grand scheme of things (especially when they are more about principle or face than anything else).  Better to focus on staying safe, beating the pandemic and getting Thailand back to where it was before, tourist-wise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Yes, people on covid extensions should make plans to leave asap. There should be more regular flights now, so there really is no excuse. I would say when it's easy to cross land borders (not sure of that situation), then the covid extensions will be terminated. I think many are doing border runs ansd they cannot do that yet. Hence the covid extensions remain in place. 

Excuses have nothing to do with Thai Immigration issuing 60 day extensions . 

Its all about the need for foreign exchange being spent in Thailand from the remaining foreigners .

Border opening with Thailand's neighbouring countries  will not happen for some time yet .

Fun fact: Up until about 5 years ago, you could easily get a one-year Cambodia visa for $300. They did away with it when they figured out they were leaving money on the table.  The tides have turned. These covid extensions, while temporary, have allowed some to stay a year in Thailand for roughly the same amount. (~$345)
It is what it is. It will end eventually. In the meantime, we're all doing what we must to make it through this world. ????

• Like 1