Cold season officially begins in Thailand

snoop1130

364fede7860803c96e160c75b691488c_small.PNG

CHIANG MAI (NNT) - The cold season has officially begun, although a noticeable drop in temperatures is not expected to be widely felt in Thailand until November 8. Meanwhile, a sea of fog and blooming wildflowers on top of Doi Inthanon in Chiang Mai await tourists, who may start visiting the national park on November 10.

The temperature on top of Doi Inthanon in Chom Thong district of Chiang Mai reached a low of 10 degrees Celsius this morning (2 Nov), giving rise to a picturesque sea of fog that surrounded the Kiw Mae Pan viewpoint and the twin pagodas nearby. Wild purple flowers are now in bloom, waiting to greet tourists who will make their way up Inthanon mountain this month.

Doi Inthanon National Park will be open to visitors from November 10. Tourists are encouraged to observe public health measures, for their own safety as well as that of others.

Although Thailand officially entered the cold season today (2 Nov), cold winds are not expected to be widely felt until between November 8 and 10. Rains are expected during this present period, although rainfall is expected to lessen in the Northeast and the East. Afterward, temperatures will drop by 3-5 degrees Celsius in the North and Northeast and by 1-3 degrees elsewhere. There will still be high humidity in the Northern and Central regions, which may give rise to rains.

A low-pressure area covering the eastern side of the Malay Peninsula will be moving into Thailand’s Southern Region, while easterly winds prevail over the Gulf of Thailand and the South. These conditions are expected to bring heavy rains to Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat, Ranong, Phang Nga, Krabi, Trang, and Satun. Flash floods and forest runoffs may also occur this week.

nnt.jpg

Hot , sticky and wet here in Nonthaburi...rained all freaking day....this is the first rainy season that there is mold growing on our wooden bench out front and the driveway has a slick coating of algae/mold. Waiting for some dry days to scrub everything down. We have not had more than 2 dry days in a row since July pretty much....can't wait for winter.

I do belive they said cold season would start a week before the end of last month. Tropical storm still happening in and around BKK. When the winds come down from China the season has changed in my non expert opinion. Not yet. This is not to say I do not value or trust expert opinion here in Thailand.

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

These few days is still quite hot in Chiang Mai so it's hardly 'started'.  

I think it will only start in end of november of early december.

My feeling in the Pattaya area is it starts on  Loy Kratong, we always feel cold for the first time riding home on the motorbike, after visiting the festival. 

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

I noticed that Madam has located and prepared her scarf, cardi, gloves and woolly hat. Not wearing them just yet but they are at the ready.

I'll stick with the shorts and T :whistling:

Has she commandeered one of your old T-Shirts for the dog too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Has she commandeered one of your old T-Shirts for the dog too?

The dogs have their own coats to augment their built-in furry jackets and internal heaters ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, EricTh said:

These few days is still quite hot in Chiang Mai so it's hardly 'started'.  

I think it will only start in end of november of early december.

Yeah. Not sure why they term it "officially" begun. Can one say the pollution season has also now officially begun? At least that is more predictable, as it relies on humans to light the fires that burn the crop stubble.