Phuket busy with foreign tourists, Thai media reports

webfact

1 minute ago, sungod said:

And I said believe the eye witnesses who are actually there, little more credible than someone in Bangkok making opinions based on a photo no?

I will disagree, and agree to disagree based on people I have talked with who live there and he been on Bangla, as well as Rawai, Kata, and Karon.  Enjoy your day wherever you may be.

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never said it was not positive now did I.  You do love to spin words used to suit your view.  I said:

"Looks like a long way to go.  Wonder how many of the folks were just local expats happy to return to what they did before Covid.  Looks pretty tame and more workers and Thai's out enjoying themselves"

Have to say thats exactly how I see it. Its encouraging to see the uptick in Bangla however I also suspect there are a lot of Phuket expats there also who as a poster said before have been let of the leash and are re visiting old haunts after so long.

I never go there, last time I went to there was at least 10 years ago despite living here for 15/16 years, just not my scene at all.

The flip side is that Bangla is a tiny fraction of Phuket, head to other hotspots such as Kata and Karon, actually don't, they are still ghost towns.

Personally I've seen no change yet, the spots I tend to go to are all pretty vibrant with expats anyway, Boat Avenue/Cherng Talay is my normal haunt for meals and the Irish Times that used to be Jungceylon in Patong has moved there since that mall closed down, so thats our spot for Sunday lunch and a friendly chat with the owner and friends, my daughter is in the same class at school as his older son.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Have to say thats exactly how I see it. Its encouraging to see the uptick in Bangla however I also suspect there are a lot of Phuket expats there also who as a poster said before have been let of the leash and are re visiting old haunts after so long.

I never go there, last time I went to there was at least 10 years ago despite living here for 15/16 years, just not my scene at all.

The flip side is that Bangla is a tiny fraction of Phuket, head to other hotspots such as Kata and Karon, actually don't, they are still ghost towns.

Personally I've seen no change yet, the spots I tend to go to are all pretty vibrant with expats anyway, Boat Avenue/Cherng Talay is my normal haunt for meals and the Irish Times that used to be Jungceylon in Patong has moved there since that mall closed down, so thats our spot for Sunday lunch and a friendly chat with the owner and friends, my daughter is in the same class at school as his older son.

It is encouraging, and as I indicated they still have a long way to go, but a start is a start.  Sorry that many of my friends lost their businesses after trying to hang on for 18 months, but then owning a business is not for the faint of heart.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is encouraging, and as I indicated they still have a long way to go, but a start is a start.  Sorry that many of my friends lost their businesses after trying to hang on for 18 months, but then owning a business is not for the faint of heart.

For those that have already lost their businesses I know many too, its a terrible tragedy, livelihoods lost for whole families and those shuttered up bars, restaurants, stalls and shops will never be in the same hands. Its going to take a very long time. My wife also has a business reliant on tourists, been closed for over a year, no booking yet.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Many come from the Muay Thai training locations to unwind.  Lived there for many years. Talked to a few friends who work in the Muay Thai facilities just this week. Yes it is open and very tame.  Friend of mine owns the entire Laguna Plaza in Rawai, not many places inside are open.

Not really a good example. Laguna in Rawai has been going downhill for years. During pre-covid days, customer numbers were already decreasing at the outside bars.

I think most of them just priced themselves out of the market, especially when bars with sea views were selling drinks that were a third cheaper than Laguna.

On 11/3/2021 at 3:30 PM, crazykopite said:

My ex works where you say you were she tells me the businesses are struggling and that was 48 hours ago what do you call busy people standing in the street or people putting there hands in there pockets and spending as according to her it’s not the latter 

So did you lend ser some money ?

On 11/3/2021 at 1:08 PM, KarenBravo said:

Restaurants can still serve alcohol, but opening bars has been delayed until the 15th of this month. Bars are ignoring this (quite rightly) and there's no appetite to enforce the rules by the Or Bor Tors, or the police.

THANK YOU FOR THAT SNIPPET. Although they may have to if the bar fills up with too many Tourists.

15 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Not really a good example. Laguna in Rawai has been going downhill for years. During pre-covid days, customer numbers were already decreasing at the outside bars.

I think most of them just priced themselves out of the market, especially when bars with sea views were selling drinks that were a third cheaper than Laguna.

It's been quite busy at Laguna the last few weeks and it's definitely busier around Rawai.

Kata and Karon still quite but can see signs it's slowly picking up over there.

Edited by beechbum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Many come from the Muay Thai training locations to unwind.  Lived there for many years. Talked to a few friends who work in the Muay Thai facilities just this week. Yes it is open and very tame.  Friend of mine owns the entire Laguna Plaza in Rawai, not many places inside are open.

Your German friend doesn't own the "entire" Laguna plaza.

Of the sea side Laguna bars all are open except 1, the other side's going to be renovated.

1 hour ago, beechbum said:

Your German friend doesn't own the "entire" Laguna plaza.

Of the sea side Laguna bars all are open except 1, the other side's going to be renovated.

Your right it is his wife Noi.  Wonder if the nightclub is open.  Most of the bars reverted back to them except Dings at the front and one or two others.  Key money paid by others all a wash.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your right it is his wife Noi.  Wonder if the nightclub is open.  Most of the bars reverted back to them except Dings at the front and one or two others.  Key money paid by others all a wash.

Yes and a 2nd partner.

No the nightclubs closed but the Russians are selling food from it again, quite good actually.

35 minutes ago, rumeaug said:

Nice!. I didn't know bars, clubs, gogo's and so on..were allowed to fully open there (?) If that is so, Might have to plan a little WE  there then ????

Not sure about gogo bars but haven't been to Patong for a while

23 minutes ago, beechbum said:

Yes and a 2nd partner.

No the nightclubs closed but the Russians are selling food from it again, quite good actually.

That is about right from my knowledge, and yes the Russians did move in to a few.  They bought up some of the ones on the strip running along the beach as well.  Another friend owns the Candy Bar which is frequented by many of the German expats.

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The nightclub is undergoing renovations.  

Was at Ding’s last night.  

• Thanks 1