Currency exchange at the airport?

I'll be in BKK in a week and I have heard before that airport currency exchange rates are bad and to exchange money elsewhere. How true is this?

If the BKK airport has a superrich, would I get the same rate at the superrich in the airport, and a superrich in a mall?

20 minutes ago, noodleslayer said:

Will i get the same rate using superrich at the airport vs superrich in a mall?

You should get the same rate if using the same company, there are a couple of companies using the superrich name (various spellings) and many branches in malls etc still may not be open.

The rates can change during a day, so may change during the trip from the airport to the mall.

Download the green superrich app.

You do not get the same rate at every branch. The head office offers the best rate.

For some reason superrich closed their branch in the airport.

It was always the busiest kiosk so they must be making money.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.toobaya.mobile.superrichthailand

Edited by ThaIrish Sean
  • Like 1

This may not still be accurate, but years ago all the airport booths had the same  rate (by agreement) and it was not flash.

As stated earlier just exchange enough for your first day or two at the airport.

4 minutes ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

Download the green superrich app.

You do not get the same rate at every branch. The head office offers the best rate.

For some reason superrich closed their branch in the airport.

It was always the busiest kiosk so they must be making money.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.toobaya.mobile.superrichthailand

I have the green superrich app. I'm just asking is if i use superrich at the airport, will they give me the rate thats shown on the app? Or will I have to go to a superrich outside of the airport?

5 minutes ago, noodleslayer said:

I have the green superrich app. I'm just asking is if i use superrich at the airport, will they give me the rate thats shown on the app? Or will I have to go to a superrich outside of the airport?

Green superrich does not operate at Bangkok airport.

They closed about 2 and 1/2 years ago.

When it was open you were able to get a rate as good as anywhere in Thailand

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

Green superrich does not operate at Bangkok airport.

They closed about 2 and 1/2 years ago.

When it was open you were able to get a rate as good as anywhere in Thailand

g'day mate, which one is the "real" supperich, the green or the orange? sooo confusing lol ????

• Like 1

Both Super Rich Thailand (Green) and Superrich 1965 (orange) have many outlets and they charge different rates at each one. The BKK Airport Superrich outlet displayed rates are quit a bit worse than any other outlet around Bangkok.

I only buy a few 100 Baht when needed to get home on the Airport link than go to Super Rich Thailand at Central World for the best rates. A quick check on Google will show you. 

Both the orange and green super rich firms have apps which give you the rates and locations of their branches. The green one disappeared from the airport some years ago but the orange is still there I think. The best rates are at their respective HQs, but not by a large amount.

3 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

Super rich on the lower floor on the airport express station level. 

There are 2 or 3 more in that area, all have a competitive rate. 

That's where the best rates are

The 'front line' booths on arrivals level are the 'rape & pillage rip offs'

The issue is whether you can sashay on down to the basement while being frogmarched to your Test n Go hotel

• Like 2

10 hours ago, noodleslayer said:

All your questions were answered in my post - why continue to ask them?

11 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The sub-branches often give a little bit less than their main branches and as usual, you get better rates for bigger denomination notes.

TBH I learned many, many trips ago that the best modus operandi was always to depart with a sufficient clutch of baht to start the ball rolling next time without any of these concerns.

IMG_25641104_113507.thumb.jpg.9245843cefdb23ce9145a88a4ad944ed.jpg

in my flight bag awaiting the next trip

• Like 1

17 hours ago, noodleslayer said:

I thought I remember that Superrich at the airport has a different rate than in the city. I never convert at the airport because the rates there are usually bad.

Just exchange enough money at the airport to tide you over for one day and exchange more at the town for better rates.

Edited by EricTh

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

I thought I remember that Superrich at the airport has a different rate than in the city. I never convert at the airport because the rates there are usually bad.

Just exchange enough money at the airport to get to town and exchange it at the skytrain BTS station which gives better rates.

superrich has different rates at different locations, even when really close to each other as in bangkok. i've never seen attractive rates at an airport in any country.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, it is what it is said:

i've never seen attractive rates at an airport in any country.

The BKK basement level exchanges are classed as off-airport so are not held to the same rules as the on-airport exchanges and offer competitive rates to users.

• Like 1