Pattaya retirees feel “trapped” in Thailand because of insurance

redwood1

In Australia trying to return, due to age generally return using Travel insurance. As Australian government warns about travel to Thailand at present cant find an insurance company that will provide necessary insurance cover to meet new Thailand Pass requirements. now they are insisting on general health as well as Covid cover.

When only Covid cover was required it was available from Thai companies at a reasonable price. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

A few relevant snippets:

"Thailand is considering slapping a 500-baht ($16.60) entry fee on tourists to help cover foreigners' unpaid medical bills, officials say."

"The unpaid hospital bills of foreign tourists cost the state about 700 million baht a year, the ministry said."

"The new policy might help prevent "trash" tourists from entering the country, Mr Pradit was quoted as saying."

From an article written in 2013 https://www.smh.com.au/world/thailand-considers-charging-all-tourists-to-cover-unpaid-hospital-bills-20131022-2vzl0.html

few yrs back in LOS I got clipped by a red truck driving up doi shutep on my mbike--broke 2 toes and he took off

I went to sev hospitals and none would touch me without INS or cash up front--after 8 hrs of trying i ended up taping my toes myself...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

few yrs back in LOS I got clipped by a red truck driving up doi shutep on my mbike--broke 2 toes and he took off

I went to sev hospitals and none would touch me without INS or cash up front--after 8 hrs of trying i ended up taping my toes myself...

That's rough, any of them government hospitals?

3 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

tried both gov and private in CNX...toes are doing good..still working...never got a baht from hit n run driver..almost pushed me off mountain into oblivion

That sucks, luckily it was just a couple of broken toes.

I've never had to go to a hospital luckily; visited a clinic a couple of times (infected finger first time, and what turned out to be pneumonia second - only diagnosed after I left!) and although they charged like wounded bulls they never asked anything up front before treatment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It is a bit of a Catch22, and the cynical may say a money spinner for Thai insurance companies. 

An oft repeated phrase on here (especially the "covid insurance scam"), which ignores the fact it doesn't have to be a Thai company.

15 minutes ago, Salerno said:

An oft repeated phrase on here (especially the "covid insurance scam"), which ignores the fact it doesn't have to be a Thai company.

It's very difficult for Americans to get overseas policies. It's a very myopic nation.

Moreover, this is the nation that is demanding insurance. There should be no shortage of quality, legit and reasonably priced insurance.

Edited by Chad3000
  • Like 1

I still don't understand all this resistance to mandatory health insurance for foreigners in Thailand. If anything it is the opposite of being trapped as it is a weight off your shoulders....... It should be compulsory for ALL foreigners living in Thailand because the Thai public health system only covers Thai citizens.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, redwood1 said:

Face it folks, regular tourist are just not going to come to Thailand any more....Thailand is finished as a tourist destination.....

Look even hard core expats are struggling to understand the ever changing requirements to come to Thailand........Tourist have no chance....

I still can't say I fully understand these latest BS insurance requirements even after trying to understand them for a full day....

Do you know what health insurance is?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, EricTh said:

It's ridiculous, how much did you pay for the insurance and for long does it need to cover?

I came in with Emirates and the insurance was include.  Just lucky that Emirates was the best option for me anyway!

For some, if not staying long, a plan like this might work.  Travel insurance.  But max time is 90 days.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/find-a-plan

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

There's many international companies that will be happy to accept US$.

You seem happy with the AXA quote 555

Point is, it's not just Thailand that insists on it, countries had it even prior to Covid. Hence I feel the plethora of posts on here that go on about "insurance scam" are somewhat uneducated.

https://visaguide.world/travel-insurance/countries-mandatory-travel-insurance/

As you say, insurance has been required by other countries for quite some time.  Nothing new here.  Though I did talk with a friend yesterday who sells insurance. She's doing great! LOL

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Face it folks, regular tourist are just not going to come to Thailand any more....Thailand is finished as a tourist destination.....

Look even hard core expats are struggling to understand the ever changing requirements to come to Thailand........Tourist have no chance....

I still can't say I fully understand these latest BS insurance requirements even after trying to understand them for a full day....

Here are 65,000 reasons why you are wrong.

w

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Yea well a application is not boots on the ground.....We will see how this high season goes......I dont think it will be pretty.....

Shocking!

Edited by shdmn

7 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Yea well a application is not boots on the ground.....We will see how this high season goes......I dont think it will be pretty.....

Better than the last one.  We were in Phuket last year and talk about deserted, the tourist areas anyway.  Were just there and it's WAY more lively.  And from what I've heard, getting better every day.

Even Pattaya is picking up.  Was at central festival yesterday and there was a line of cars crawling down Beach road.  Didn't see anything like that last year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Not funny at all would be great to have. Now i got a expenisve health insurance (it is more then enough to satisfy the current need) However anyone that can get that SS should do so and keep paying into it. I mean lot of older guys here would kill to be in Thai SS because it satisfies the requirements and is a nice safetynet. 

Have you been to a Thai hospital?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skeptic7 said:

For now, yes. But get ready. Wouldn't surprise a bit if mandatory health insurance for extension is the next move they make. And that will be CHECKMATE for many.

It will be checkmate for me, absolutely.  I'm on the verge of leaving anyway.  Not sure where yet! LOL

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Better than the last one.  We were in Phuket last year and talk about deserted, the tourist areas anyway.  Were just there and it's WAY more lively.  And from what I've heard, getting better every day.

From a couple of days ago, note the girls adhering to the mask policy ???? 555

251376661_2778666235761085_7433690093147

• Like 1
  • Haha 1