Pattaya retirees feel “trapped” in Thailand because of insurance

redwood1

25 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

hell yeah. wouldn't be coming over if I didn't. Thai gub'mint is going to do what they do and we won't be able to stop it if they get really silly. like say, Malaysia's new MM2H requirements. or a blanket 'farang go now' order.

so I'll be ready to go at the drop of a hat, just grab passport and book a taxi to the airport and find somewhere that treats me better ????

Yes, but what Plan B country have you chosen, and have you been there before?  

Edited by Leaver

5 hours ago, david555 said:

And not sure if they would "grandfathering " the old extensions as was before a followed rule , i also fear mandatory  insurance for "o" when extending go be demanded  soon or later...

i doubt it as it may block them getting backhanders via agents

3 hours ago, Chris.B said:

The problem with travel insurance in the UK is most policies are only 30 days per trip. Even a the better policies might only be 50 day trips. For single trip, long stay policies you will find when you are past a certain age (60 or 65 years) you will not be eligible for them. ☹️

you can get much longer insurance than 30 days but usually there is an age limit for some reason

6 hours ago, poohy said:

go without reentry come back as tourist and re set up visa here probably same cost ish through agent

both miserably expensive

Or just do it yourself without an agent and it's a pittance.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Do they ask for your visa/extension details on the thai pass or just your biometric page ? Surely immigration cannot be checking it, and if they did, and you had a £50 throw away ticket for 30 days and 30 days insurance I cannot see them denying you entry

They don't ask for visa but they do ask for length of stay so could come down to how economical you are with the truth.  The speed at which some people are receiving the TP suggests they aren't checking anything in some cases.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

Then immigration will make an announcement that they'll accept international policies but won't say which.

They have always accepted international policies. The recent change (replacing 40/400K Bht for a US$100k policy) was in part "justified" by them as due to the problems with older people getting insurance via a Thai based company.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newnative said:

My Thai partner and I are finding this all very confusing.  We both have excellent health insurance that covers covid--mine with April International based in Paris and his with a Thai company.  If we take a trip, say, to Vietnam, does anyone know if we will need to purchase additional health policies just for covid to be allowed back in?

Your existing policies are fine as long as they specifically state they cover Covid.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i doubt it as it may block them getting backhanders via agents

Why they ruined their optional O-A market for backhanders by agents then ? ....Not logical ????

7 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Here is my idea.... Maybe wait until  my O visa only has 2 months left....Buy  cheap insurance  for 2 months.....Fly back to the USA for one month, then fly back to Thailand,  I would still have one month left on the O visa and one month left on the insurance...

How does flying to the USA help when his dad is in the UK?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Never........But I guess things changed yesterday......I guess everyone else only needs 50,000 dollars in covid insurance...

NO you are misleading. Everyone needs a health insurance that includes COVID and is not only for covid. This is a problem for people above 75

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

People can live in Thailand on a retirement or marriage extension without any medical insurance..... but if they take a trip home, they will need insurance to get back in. Many feel they are too old or unhealthy or unable to afford  insurance, hence cannot leave.. as they would not qualify to return.

Well, that would justify the need for every non Thai to be insured when in Thailand. 

If one cannot afford an insurance, then they will not be able to support the expense of an hospitalisation.

This being said this is quite a heavy financial weight to put on the "visitors"

9 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Work permit holders are exempted as we have Thai social security. 

Not all of them and this does not hold when applying for the Pass as it is made no mention of the situation of the traveller. No insurance uploaded equals to no submission possible

1 minute ago, alyx said:

Not all of them and this does not hold when applying for the Pass as it is made no mention of the situation of the traveller. No insurance uploaded equals to no submission possible

For those on SS they just need to upload proof when it asks about insurance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USEpat said:

$50,000 U.S. for Covid insurance to meet the new Thai Pass requirement seems odd,  But "odd" is normal for Thailand.  U.S.$50K works out to about 1.6 million baht.  Given the cost of medical care in  Thailand, even in a private hospital, that's a hell of a lot of insurance.  Heart valve replacement doesn't cost half that.  Here are costs for some major procedures as shown by Luma Insurance: https://blog.lumahealth.com/costs-major-surgery-thailand. 

It's kinda like the 800K baht in the bank for six months and the 400K minimum that has to be banked indefinitely for retirement renewals.  That's ten times more than most Thais live on and more than plenty for a reasonable farong existence. 

Make no sense, Prayutonomics.

The 800k needs to be in for five months, not six. Two months before extension application and three months after.

10 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

It's been needed for some time.  I came in a few weeks ago and it was mandatory.  I'm on a non O.  Never needed insurance until now.

It's ridiculous, how much did you pay for the insurance and for long does it need to cover?

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Who exactly is checking this insurance ? Do they ask for your visa/extension details on the thai pass or just your biometric page ? Surely immigration cannot be checking it, and if they did, and you had a £50 throw away ticket for 30 days and 30 days insurance I cannot see them denying you entry

Perhaps the airline will check at departure..................................

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Likelihood of say Finnair checking you have insurance to stay in thailand when checking in for departure I would say is pretty remote to say the slightest !

No it isn't, they go by the instructions from the local embassy. The insurance is not only to stay in Thailand but also a condition to ENTER Thailand.

• Like 1