Pattaya retirees feel “trapped” in Thailand because of insurance

redwood1

18 hours ago, poohy said:

just thinking about return trip  to UK  to visit 99 yo dad

if i come back with 8 months on reentry insurance is more than flight

option

wait until near end of visa next august (hmm hes 99!)

go without reentry come back as tourist and re set up visa here probably same cost ish through agent

both miserably expensive

Feel like i have been "done over" in Dudley

18 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Here is my idea.... Maybe wait until  my O visa only has 2 months left....Buy  cheap insurance  for 2 months.....Fly back to the USA for one month, then fly back to Thailand,  I would still have one month left on the O visa and one month left on the insurance...

17 hours ago, anchadian said:

Exactly.

You've nailed it.

Except that at 99, as poohy already alluded..."hmm he's 99". Waiting half a year may not be a realistic option. No guarantee he's gonna see 100. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

You just miss the point, many of us have health insurance or health cover we kept when we retired. The fact that the Thais won't accept them is just a proof of their corrupt intent. The goons behind this scheme aren't interested a bit in ensuring foreigner have access to health care in Thailand.

I'll withdraw my comment the day ministerlet Anustin announces that MPOH have opened a "Foreign health cover validation service". 

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 18.38.06.png

Why won't they accept this policy?  Sorry if this has already been answered.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

You just miss the point, many of us have health insurance or health cover we kept when we retired. The fact that the Thais won't accept them is just a proof of their corrupt intent. The goons behind this scheme aren't interested a bit in ensuring foreigner have access to health care in Thailand.

I'll withdraw my comment the day ministerlet Anustin announces that MPOH have opened a "Foreign health cover validation service". 

You're still within the editing time therefore can delete the above, insurance does not have to be through a Thai company.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, rott said:

Possibly that was before the Thailand pass brought new regulations into play.

Were you on Emirates.? 

Are you trying to say that the Emirates insurance became unacceptable with Thailand pass?

Have you ever seen the certificate?

15 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Yeah it's a great deal but Emirates are ending their insurance offer for all flights booked after 1st December.

Yes, I booked my flight on 23rd March for August because they were ending the insurance offer on 31st March.

19 hours ago, jacko45k said:

People can live in Thailand on a retirement or marriage extension without any medical insurance..... but if they take a trip home, they will need insurance to get back in. Many feel they are too old or unhealthy or unable to afford  insurance, hence cannot leave.. as they would not qualify to return.

Does that apply if your visa is still valid and you have a re-entry permit?

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Likelihood of say Finnair checking you have insurance to stay in thailand when checking in for departure I would say is pretty remote to say the slightest !

When I checked in at LHR the guy hadn't got a clue, just read from a crib sheet what I had to show him. Yes insurance was included and he couldn't get that right, said it was insufficient because he was looking at the wrong figure.

Great reporting----especially the way the intrepid reporter from the Pattaya Mail relentlessly pursued a government dept until he/she got confirmation or denial  of this........oh no they didn't bother, never mind back to the  concrete tables ---or where ever the ex SAS is now drinking and get the latest info from them.

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Have you been to a Thai hospital?

I lived here 17 years and been to a Thai hospital a few times. Even had a gf with social security. It works.

Look i am not saying SS is a great cover but its the cheapest and best backup you can have. Especially for older people with all the time in the world.

Hell if i could sign up now I would .. We are talking about around 6000bt a year that is nothing for an insurance that covers a lot of the basic.

I got an ACS expat insurance got it long ago, so all this insurance <deleted> does not affect me as I am already covered.

I said it many times in topics where old guys or young guys had no cover and could not pay the hospital that this would lead to mandatory insurance. I was laughed at when i called those who did not pay out, and when i took the side of hospitals. I did so as this was what i expected. I guess i was right you guys can thank all the people without insurance skipping on bills for this. Combined with covid as a good excuse. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 18.38.06.png

Eh foreign health cover has been accepted before. I don't see what you are moaning about. It will of course needs to be proven. I mean this is after all the land of fakes. Nowhere does it state you have to have a Thai insurer and most people don'thave that.

19 hours ago, gearbox said:

Absolutely doable...if you don't want to pay insurance for long period just time your departure/arrival closer to the extension renewal.

A refinement on this plan … pay for the insurance on a dud credit card (I have several for sale at a great price) and print off your insurance certificate quicksmart.

Remember not to go back to the same insurer if you ever want genuine cover in future.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Those who are applying for a O-A which is different from a O must also include separate insurance which use to be 400,000 Baht coverage but now has risen to 3 Million. Gladly correct me if I'm wrong here. All these different visa confusing old guys like myself is common LOL?

Quite.

For those coming to Thailand without a visa it is a 2 stage process, visa application and permission to enter application.

Any insurance requirement for a visa application is a different matter to the entry insurance requirement.

It would appear some are getting them confused and causing confusion.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Not for those over the age limit.

Sorry to hear but everything has limits.

I'm certain they're just trying to figure out how to force insurance on all of us ...

... without Thai inscos being subjected to covering us.

It's pretty insane really, the dichotomy and disconnect as well as indifference in our plight and confusion from their chaos forced on us.

I'm married and the wait for residence visa is now years for wife

20 hours ago, rott said:

I am told that it is necessary for the new pass. I am told by a mate who has just renewed his extension and is/was planning a trip home that coming back with 9 months of his extension left would cost 9 x 3,000 per month insurance. 

So less than a hundred dollars a month. That's not such a big deal if one really does want to go. Even if you leave right after your extension it would be around 1100 dollars. Certainly not horrible if one has to travel.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Are you trying to say that the Emirates insurance became unacceptable with Thailand pass?

Have you ever seen the certificate?

I am "trying to say" that possibly the reason for your easy entry was because you were on Emirates. 

I have read that Emirates are dropping the complementary insurance as from next month. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

This is a serious issue.  What's the current cost for a policy?  Last time, back in August, I was quoted some 30k Baht.  I ended up using the insurance provided by Emirates and it worked great.

Yes that insurance is good, unfortunately it will no longer be offered with flights booked after 1 December.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, malathione said:

and is/was planning a trip home that

51 minutes ago, robblok said:

I lived here 17 years and been to a Thai hospital a few times. Even had a gf with social security. It works.

Look i am not saying SS is a great cover but its the cheapest and best backup you can have. Especially for older people with all the time in the world.

Hell if i could sign up now I would .. We are talking about around 6000bt a year that is nothing for an insurance that covers a lot of the basic.

I got an ACS expat insurance got it long ago, so all this insurance <deleted> does not affect me as I am already covered.

I said it many times in topics where old guys or young guys had no cover and could not pay the hospital that this would lead to mandatory insurance. I was laughed at when i called those who did not pay out, and when i took the side of hospitals. I did so as this was what i expected. I guess i was right you guys can thank all the people without insurance skipping on bills for this. Combined with covid as a good excuse. 

I also dislike people not paying their hospital bills but I don't think it happens very much as in my experience people using them have to pay up front. I know one who broke a leg and had to put 150,000 baht up before they would touch him. 

• Like 2

Playing devil’s advocate. Not meant to insult anyone. 

How are you going to pay your hospital bills for a stroke or Heart attack or injury if you do not have health insurance or 3 million baht in the bank?  If you cannot pay then who pays the hospital bills?  Odds are the older you get the more medical problems you will experience. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Yes that insurance is good, unfortunately it will no longer be offered with flights booked after 1 December.

I'll be leaving early January and back just before my visa expires.  So, I'll be able to get a very short term travel insurance policy to hold me over. LOL.

Crazy times.  Too bad Emirates canceled that.  It worked out great!!!

17 hours ago, sandyf said:

I returned on the 8th of October on a re-entry permit. I was stamped in until the 10th August 22 and my insurance is valid until 16th Dec 21. I used the airline insurance.

Arrived on 8th Oct on re entry as well!

What you say is that for those on long term visa or extension they actually don't look at the validity period of insurance??

What visa you have? 

18 hours ago, sandyf said:

Where there is a will there is a way.

I went back to the UK in August, the day after I had renewed my marriage extension. Came back early Oct, my insurance did not cost me anything and there was no age limit.

If you're referring to the Emirates policy that was included with their flights, they're dropping that offer with tickets sold after the 1 December.

It was certainly good while it lasted.

Edit: I note that the removal of the free insurance after November has already been mentioned a few times.

• Like 1