Pattaya retirees feel “trapped” in Thailand because of insurance

redwood1

2 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Since when does a Non-O visa need health insurance to enter/re-enter Thailand?

It's a Thai Pass requirement. The duration of the visa.

In my case it would be eight months.

Scammy govt website insurance insult to injury I can't buy eight but twelve at 43000b

BTW I have three insurances all valid at least days after I return to Thailand

29 minutes ago, gearbox said:

With many western travel insurances the cover limit is not that important in determining the price, the age is more important.

I just had a look what Allianz Australia offers as a medical travel insurance (single trip)  to Thailand for 1 year,  $586 AUD for 45 years old, almost $4000 for 85 years old. The 85 years old also can't add extra "adventurous activities" ????

Both have unlimited medical cover. The insured needs to be a "resident", so for retirees who haven't been in the home country for long time it could be a problem.

Very informative and helpful. Thanks very much for posting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

But insurance  is of course harder for older people to obtain. I think most end up opting for a travel policy.

The problem with travel insurance in the UK is most policies are only 30 days per trip. Even a the better policies might only be 50 day trips. For single trip, long stay policies you will find when you are past a certain age (60 or 65 years) you will not be eligible for them. ☹️

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, rott said:

I am told that it is necessary for the new pass. I am told by a mate who has just renewed his extension and is/was planning a trip home that coming back with 9 months of his extension left would cost 9 x 3,000 per month insurance. 

Where there is a will there is a way.

I went back to the UK in August, the day after I had renewed my marriage extension. Came back early Oct, my insurance did not cost me anything and there was no age limit.

wonder how the current requirements work for people like me who have Non-O expiring at different time than annually renewable health insurance. Visa expiriy in Dec, insurance renewal in April, been like that for years.

Now, if I want to go visit home for xmas for a week or two, what kind of stamp I get when come back for new year, having 3.5mo left of my insurance period? Only to April?  If so, can I get new stamp from immigration if I go show my new policy in April?

Or only way to travel hassle free when I want, without having to buy double insurance is to align the extension and insurance renewal dates??

Went for summer visit and came back, no issue as insurance validity longer than visa renewal. But any visit between Dec-Mar has this issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The required period of insurance is the duration you will be stamped in for, so for those entering on a re-entry permit, timing the trip so that you come back only 1-2 months before expiry will reduce cost.

I returned on the 8th of October on a re-entry permit. I was stamped in until the 10th August 22 and my insurance is valid until 16th Dec 21. I used the airline insurance.

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

This is a serious issue.  What's the current cost for a policy?  Last time, back in August, I was quoted some 30k Baht.  I ended up using the insurance provided by Emirates and it worked great.

Yeah it's a great deal but Emirates are ending their insurance offer for all flights booked after 1st December.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

44 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

The problem with travel insurance in the UK is most policies are only 30 days per trip. Even a the better policies might only be 50 day trips. For single trip, long stay policies you will find when you are past a certain age (60 or 65 years) you will not be eligible for them. ☹️

Very true Chris.B. Also, the insurers stipulate that travel insurance is just that, not applicable to those who reside abroad. You have to take out travel insurance before you depart the UK. Should you try to claim, I suspect they will require proof of where you have been (and for how long).

36 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Where there is a will there is a way.

I went back to the UK in August, the day after I had renewed my marriage extension. Came back early Oct, my insurance did not cost me anything and there was no age limit.

Possibly that was before the Thailand pass brought new regulations into play.

Were you on Emirates.? 

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Bummer, but they were repeatedly warned that their stay is only temporary here, and that there is no permanence as a retiree on a non-immigrant visa.

as Metallica say, Sad But True. I'm moving to Thailand shortly for a long stay on a non-O but I'm under no illusion that I have any right of abode and am also aware that the goalposts are constantly changing. 

I've factored all of that in to my retirement budget. it's always wide to have a reserve to fall back on when the going gets tough.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

as Metallica say, Sad But True. I'm moving to Thailand shortly for a long stay on a non-O but I'm under no illusion that I have any right of abode and am also aware that the goalposts are constantly changing. 

I've factored all of that in to my retirement budget. it's always wide to have a reserve to fall back on when the going gets tough.

Do you have a Plan B to Thailand?  

5 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Since when does a Non-O visa need health insurance to enter/re-enter Thailand?

If you leave Thailand , you will need insurance to come back. If you come back on visa exempt you can get away with only 30 days insurance , 

For type-O you will need a min of three months insurance. 

We were in the US when the pandemic hit and got trapped there , when we came back last May . even with a Nom Im-O I had to show insurance that covered me for at least $100k covid coverage. Now they change it to 50K but it has to be general health insurance with covid caverage.  The problem is that after a certain age , Insurance companies will not write a policy. (I think it is 78, but don't quote me)

My Thai partner and I are finding this all very confusing.  We both have excellent health insurance that covers covid--mine with April International based in Paris and his with a Thai company.  If we take a trip, say, to Vietnam, does anyone know if we will need to purchase additional health policies just for covid to be allowed back in?   We hate the idea of being required to spend extra money for something we are already covered for--and already spend an arm and a leg for.  Thanks for any information.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, newnative said:

My Thai partner and I are finding this all very confusing.  We both have excellent health insurance that covers covid--mine with April International based in Paris and his with a Thai company.  If we take a trip, say, to Vietnam, does anyone know if we will need to purchase additional health policies just for covid to be allowed back in?   We hate the idea of being required to spend extra money for something we are already covered for--and already spend an arm and a leg for.  Thanks for any information.  

Same here,,,

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 18.38.06.png

• Like 1