saving photos and itunes to new mac from old

1FinickyOne

Hi - as stated, I have a new mac desktop and want to transfer my photos from the old similar model.

Is there an easy way to do this? 

Should I save everything to the cloud? Or to a Kingston? I have never used the cloud - is there a cost to this?

Thanks for any help...

You can save your photos and other document on the cloud , and then download whatever you want back into your new computer. It is always a good idea to do this even if you were not   changing computers,that way, if your computer broke, was stolen or lost. you don't lose your pictures. Plus you have access to them from all over the world with many different devises.  I have Amazon prime ,and I use their cloud for my PC. but Apple has I-cloud

Or you can use Use Migration Assistant.

"Move your content to a new Mac "

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

Edited by sirineou
  • Thanks 1

Using iCloud the answer depends on how many GBs you want to store (transfer), 5GB or less and you can save it free on iCloud, if more than 5GB and you have to pay depending on the storage size;

When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5GB of free storage. If you need more iCloud storage or want access to premium features, you can upgrade to iCloud+ .

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201238

Using a external storage device only cost the amount for the device, there's many sizes and styles to choose from.  Me personally, I use a old 500GB external Hard Disc Drive (HDD).

Edited by bbko
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Hi - as stated, I have a new mac desktop and want to transfer my photos from the old similar model.

Is there an easy way to do this? 

Yes. Start the old Mac using command + T is the absolute fastest way

B7467129-5919-433F-96E1-48408045D26F.jpeg.8035735bae6c2adf79d36f20ff6da4c1.jpeg

you then drag the photo’s library from /Users/(your name)/photos/ on the old machine to 

/Users/(your name)/photos/ On the new one. The library maybe very large mine total about 300Gb so the copy takes quite some time, I have over 60,000 pictures, if you have a lot fewer your library is probably smaller.

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

You can save your photos and other document on the cloud , and then download whatever you want back into your new computer. It is always a good idea to do this even if you were not   changing computers,that way, if your computer broke, was stolen or lost. you don't lose your pictures. Plus you have access to them from all over the world with many different devises.  I have Amazon prime ,and I use their cloud for my PC. but Apple has I-cloud

Or you can use Use Migration Assistant.

"Move your content to a new Mac "

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

That advice is good for those with only a few pictures and videos, when you get to libraries of hundreds of Gb you need the top tier and that is not really cheap in my opinion.

Thailand (THB)
50GB: ฿35
200GB: ฿99
2TB: ฿349

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That advice is good for those with only a few pictures and videos, when you get to libraries of hundreds of Gb you need the top tier and that is not really cheap in my opinion.

Thailand (THB)
50GB: ฿35
200GB: ฿99
2TB: ฿349

I think for most people the basic plan should be good enough, I mean how many pictures of what you just ate do you need? :smile:

• Like 1