Meeting held in anticipation of PM 2.5 resurgence

webfact

16 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

I'm no farmer but I do know that that really damaged is the soil. Therefore, I'm expecting that they're buying a mountain of fertilizer annually.

I do have a great deal of empathy and to be honest Farmers have been clearing land like this probably for thousands of years.

The issue is now actually the modern world and all its pollutants are competing and adding to this sort of natural way of farming if you will.

The burning sxcks and I would never live in the North because of that but I don't blame poor farmers.

Fields can be mechanically cleared but it gets expensive because the ploughing discs get damaged and or broken. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Burning is the cheapest and an effective way for rice farmers to clear the paddy. Rice prices are so low that they're producing at a loss. If anyone can suggest another way I would be interested to know. 

All this pollution, ill-health and huge expense, especially to high-season tourism, and year in year out, with no change.

All for a handful of corn and rice farmers.

It is a disgrace. It needs ASEAN. It needs a lot of money.

The waste should be carefully harvested and brought from the fields to purpose-built power stations.

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Fields can be mechanically cleared but it gets expensive because the ploughing discs get damaged and or broken. 

Yes, I guess when you're getting 5b per kilo of rice there's not much budget for fancy machines.

Both my mother and father-in-law together own about 15 rai. I don't even think the tenant farmers pay them it's all in kind.

So my mother-in-law get some really great rice for her restaurant every year but the land doesn't even seem to pay for itself.

Edited by Chad3000
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, cape said:

All this pollution, ill-health and huge expense, especially to high-season tourism, and year in year out, with no change.

All for a handful of corn and rice farmers.

It is a disgrace. It needs ASEAN. It needs a lot of money.

The waste should be carefully harvested and brought from the fields to purpose-built power stations.

If you call around 16 million rice farmers a handfull what would you call a lot.

"Of the 40% of Thais who work in agriculture, 16 million of them are rice farmers by one estimate. Thailand has a strong tradition of rice production. It has the fifth-largest amount of land under rice cultivation in the world and is the world's second largest exporter of rice."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_production_in_Thailand#:~:text=Of the 40% of Thais,second largest exporter of rice.

Edited by dinsdale

Ahhh, the yearly government expulsion of hot-air in regards to all they plan to (never) do about the PM2.5 problem that plagues Thailand.  Note that Prayut refused to sign the COP26 pledge to end deforestation.  Cutting the forests down and burning them yearly is part of Thai culture. Lord knows that global entities should never get involved in Thai cultural interests.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

Many rice farmers grow in order to benefit from the government handouts to rice farmers. Maybe it would be better to pay some of them not to grow?

Not a new approach... isn't that done in the EEC? 

58 minutes ago, cape said:

That was an idea and there is a few of them.

Considered renewable energy.

Last article i read the villagers were protesting the building of them,to much pollution they said.????

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Public Relations Department Deputy Director-General Sudruetai Loetkasem elaborated on the subcommittee’s public relations plan, saying “air pollution” will be the choice word as the phrase sums up the big picture of dangerous pollution. This was a change from last year’s plan and was aimed at using easy to understand language to encourage the public to give its cooperation.

Hold the presses!!!

It's taken how many years now and how many hundreds of meetings for the Thai government (supposedly) to stop calling its seasonal widespread crop burning and vehicle emissions health disaster "DUST," and start calling it what it always has been... AIR POLLUTION, and bad air pollution at that!