Manually Fuelling (UK built) Vehicle (Conversion to Auto)

Jenkins9039

Anyone else have issue when 'fuelling up' and they have to do it manually -- Hold it in place and sqeeze?

Only happens on the wife's range rover (uk built?), not on bm (thai built?), or raptor (thai built?).

Anyway to upgrade the internal fuel in-put system so it can be automated? 

I've only ever fuelled up once (Spain 2014) someone else has always sorted that, and its agony watching the little Thai man holding it in for 5 minutes every time.

I am guessing you mean that when the fuel pump nozzle is inserted the nozzle will not set to to autofill. It will be due to a restriction of the tank fill pipe creating back pressure  that normally would indicate a "full" response to shutoff the input. Even manual fill will probably be limited to less than full speed capacity by the the attendant. Perhaps caused by an anti siphoning  component in the intake pipe ?

If it is of major concern perhaps a replacement tube of local equivalent if it has one ?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Awesome mileage... or a gas tank the size of Idaho?

OK, serious answer. Sell the Range Rover. Nobody's impressed any more anyway.

Not sure what you are on about lol.

Range Rover is new, why would you sell a new car because of a slight issue that doesn't impact you personally?

Why would anyone give a <deleted> about anyone else's 'impression', its all about self satisfaction, comfort, utility, and fun, not someone else's view lol

1 hour ago, Jenkins9039 said:
18 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Not sure what you are on about lol.

Range Rover is new, why would you sell a new car because of a slight issue that doesn't impact you personally?

Why would anyone give a <deleted> about anyone else's 'impression', its all about self satisfaction, comfort, utility, and fun, not someone else's view lol

Apart from the lack of a sense of humor, it's pretty obvious that you do give a <deleted> about your 'slight' issue. I just thought it funny that you haven't touched your own nozzle in almost seven years.

Back to your serious issue of your concern for the 'little Thai man'. Have you checked on any Range Rover owner's forums online if this is a common flaw here or in other markets? As another member pointed out, the regulator on the filler hose is detecting back-pressure on the tank venting and shuts-off to prevent a splash or spill. This could be due to the dispensing nozzle on Thai pumps being slightly larger diameter than a UK one and the Range Rover fill pipe being designed to vent around a UK-sized nozzle? I have seen plates affixed across the tops of filler pipes to stop the less observant UK driver sticking the wrong type of fuel in their tank. This could also be restricting the venting if the Thai filler nozzle is slightly larger than normal.

If the vehicle was indeed assembled in the UK, there may have been some onboard refueling vapor recovery system (ORVR) that the UK/EU/US and other markets demand that was removed from assembly since there's no requirement for it in Thailand? By the same token, any ORVR system still installed could be causing the issue due to a local fuel dispensing system that doesn't facilitate them?

Pump attendants here tend to pull the lever full-on so it latches and they can leave your refill unattended while they attend to other pumps and other customers. Years ago, filler nozzles used to have a ratchet thingmabob so that a filler could be latched on a slower fill rate and still be left unattended. TBH, I haven't seen those latching ratchets on a filler nozzle for years, hence the dek pump having to hang around, manually slow-filling your ride, glaring balefully at you in your wing mirror while losing out on multiple tipping opportunities.

Make sure you increase your tip accordingly.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

If the vehicle was indeed assembled in the UK, there may have been some onboard refueling vapor recovery system (ORVR) that the UK/EU/US and other markets demand that was removed from assembly since there's no requirement for it in Thailand? By the same token, any ORVR system still installed could be causing the issue due to a local fuel dispensing system that doesn't facilitate them?

It's a land rover (range rover) they are not manufactured in Thailand, but are manufactured (in this case) the UK, though they have a manufacturing arm in Europe and i believe Asia now. 

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Pump attendants here tend to pull the lever full-on so it latches and they can leave your refill unattended while they attend to other pumps and other customers. Years ago,

Exactly what i'm pointing out, it doesn't exist on the car, and i'm enquiring (see above) how to equip the car for it, as its slow and laborious for the staffer, and annoyingly prolonged for me.

It seems that your range rover has an anti siphon device installed in the fuel filler neck which goes from the fuel cap to the fuel tank. See pic below for one example.

Some are just a steel wire spring wound into the filler neck,  both give the result of not being able to remove the filler cap, insert a hose, and siphon the fuel from your tank.

Most cases you can remove the filler neck from the tank and remove the anti siphon device. This will clear the obstruction and allow you to fill the tank more quickly.

anti.jpg

anti2.jpg

anti 3.jpg

Edited by seedy
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2021 at 9:09 PM, NanLaew said:

Is Idaho bigger than Bangkok then? Asking for a friend of Greta Thunberg.

People are very impressed by Land and Range Rovers. Anything with a thirst for fuel equal to a 747-400 on climb boost deserves respect!

And as the OP says - he always gets someone else to fill it - now you understand why!

• Haha 1