Tourists trickle into Thailand as borders reopen

webfact

Those arrival's numbers of yesteryear are yet very far off and the government doesn't seems to care one way or another, maybe this is to atone on their cock up to properly handle the situation from the onset of the Covid burying their heads in the sand instead to rush out buy the vaccination and do the right things...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourist attractions, merchants and restaurants that had been shuttered for a good part of the year are now cracking open their doors again, cautiously optimistic for a revival in a sector that in 2019 brought in more than 1.91 trillion baht (S$77.6 billion)

I still think Claude Monet painted a better picture.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourist attractions, merchants and restaurants that had been shuttered for a good part of the year are now cracking open their doors again, cautiously optimistic for a revival in a sector that in 2019 brought in more than 1.91 trillion baht (S$77.6 billion).

Tourism in Thailand, and many other places, is now on palliative care and countries need to wake up to the fact.

With the way the world is heading the future will never be a reflection of the past. Fuel problems alone will put the cost of long haul beyond the reach of the ordinary tourist.

The more serious problem is complacency, as can be seen at COP26, problems are never that serious until you actually suffer the consequences. If rising sea levels are not addressed many beach resorts will be consigned to the history books.

Not all doom and gloom, Bangkok could become the Venice of the east.

However, conditions are soon expected to worsen for much of Bangkok. This is due to its vulnerability to the impacts of climate change, as well as the ongoing sinking or land subsidence that is threatening the city. The implication is that while the sea level rises, the lowering of ground level continues, leaving the city doubly vulnerable to urban flooding.

https://theaseanpost.com/article/bangkok-sinking-fast

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The streets of Bangkok are buzzing with start-stop traffic and thronging crowds

It was like that in late September when I went to Phyathai2 hospital for my second AZ shot, just a result of easing many of the restrictions, nothing to do with tourists. Completely different from mid-July when I went there for the first shot, though, with the restrictions still very much in place then the place was like a ghost town.

• Like 1

I just read that a jetliner of Russians landed in Phuket.  Good for them travelers, sure hope they have a good holiday.

I also read that over 1000 Russians are dying each day because of a spike of COVID cases. 

I am also curious about the USA and their stats, as the numbers were still spiking in some states.

I do wish Thailand luck with reopening to international travelers and tourists, maybe staying a bit cautious is

still the way to go.

Geezer

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

OK, so let's assume that the numbers being spouted off about incoming tourists are correct and its @30,000+ for each of November and December. That should mean that - assuming that they are all tourists and non-returners, family etc - that 30,000 tourists will be in the country at any one time if they stay for up to a month. 

At 30,000 tourists - many of whom will not stay in BKK - it is not enough to support the cautiously optimistic people mentioned in this story. If anything it will drive more out of business for foolishly opening based on ridiculous promises by the PM and his crew before instigating Thai pass madness and making it even worse.

If they want answers for this mayhem why don't they just ask us???

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK - The streets of Bangkok are buzzing with start-stop traffic and thronging crowds

WHAT??

The traffic is the usual BKK traffic, choked as every.....and thronging crowds? Seriously? They must be very quiet, well behaved and no where near any of the places we visit.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Guderian said:

It was like that in late September when I went to Phyathai2 hospital for my second AZ shot, just a result of easing many of the restrictions, nothing to do with tourists. Completely different from mid-July when I went there for the first shot, though, with the restrictions still very much in place then the place was like a ghost town.

We had no electricity yesterday, scheduled infrastructure work, so decided to go to Bang Saen for lunch. Place was absolutely heaving, no room for tourists.

15 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

OK, so let's assume that the numbers being spouted off about incoming tourists are correct and its @30,000+ for each of November and December. That should mean that - assuming that they are all tourists and non-returners, family etc - that 30,000 tourists will be in the country at any one time if they stay for up to a month. 

At 30,000 tourists - many of whom will not stay in BKK - it is not enough to support the cautiously optimistic people mentioned in this story. If anything it will drive more out of business for foolishly opening based on ridiculous promises by the PM and his crew before instigating Thai pass madness and making it even worse.

They need 20,000 to 30,000 per day, each and every day to have any impact on the whole.

But it sounds good to say Thailand is open........

15 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

From the OP Straits Times article:

-- But genuine holidaymakers such as Mr Schubert will remain a rare breed for the time being, those in the tourism sector told The Sunday Times.

-- "It's still early. Most people who will enter Thailand right now are either Thai people, returning residents or those travelling for practical reasons, like business trips," said Thai Hotels Association (THA) president Marisa Sukosol Nunbhakdi.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/tourists-trickle-into-thailand-as-borders-reopen

Doesn't hopelessly unrealistic to me.

There isn't going to be any surge whatsoever in these numbers until the pandemic is over.  I estimate it will be another year minimum but who the heck am I?  I'm not professional.

In tourism I do know a thing or two, and what was written quoted above is blatantly obvious.  

Look, when i leave here I have to have a test, and if I test positive my vacation is over and I"ve spent a LOT of money.  Gone.  All.

When I come home I have to take a test and if I test positive I get 2 weeks in a hotel, or in the case of Thailand, a hospital stay (!!!) and most probably all on my dime.

NO THANKS!  

Many here talk about the easing of restrictions so they can get in easier.  IT's not the big picture of what is going on in the world, and the kinds of problems tourism in general face.