Unpleasant reading. Best not to read it.

swissie

12 hours ago, LoeiI said:
15 hours ago, rwill said:

I have insurance but I think the only thing I would actually be covered for is cancer or injuries from accidents.  If you take medication for blood pressure, cholesteral or blood sugar they are going to exclude tons of things that could affect you.

What did the exclude due to blood pressure sugar and cholesterol  ? did they not offer additional pre-existing condition coverage ? is it an International company plan or a Thai plan ?

Pacific Cross.  No they don't offer pre-existing coverage at all.  Just lots of exclusions.  They actually went through my medical records and added exclusions about a year and a half after having coverage based on medications I was taking.  With medication all my test results are in normal range.  

Exclusions added:

Investigation and treatment of hyperlipidemia.  Investigation and treatment of hypertension.  Investigation and treatment of heart diseases or disorders, and peripheral vascular diseases and disorders, and their causes and complications.

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2021 at 5:28 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO all tourists should have travel insurance to enter- not allowed on the plane without. If one can't afford it, should one be traveling?

What about the NZ system? Many tourists go to NZ for outdoor activities. If you break a leg skiing it gets fixed. Part of the price of encouraging tourism. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

What about the NZ system? Many tourists go to NZ for outdoor activities. If you break a leg skiing it gets fixed. Part of the price of encouraging tourism. 

How about getting fried by lava from a volcano? 

37 minutes ago, rwill said:

I would just add that to be really safe you need about 10 million baht saved for medical emergencies.  Also the ability to replenish that if you have to use some of it.

That is the key issue with them needing to require insurances too if you ask me.

One could have the 500k or a few M but then <deleted> hits the fan and that money is used, no way they can replenish that right at once in most cases. So they would then still need to leave right after or pray nothing happens again for 5-10 years.

Its sad for those who can’t get it done but I think its insane to live here without one in the first place.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 1

Looking at the responses ,i'd say my responses are right . This does not mean all comes cheap , as i do know , some medical things are crazy expensive ( cancer treatment in general is , unfortunate , chemo and even much much more in immunotherapy ) . I do not wish it for anybody neither do i say like anybody should forfait on it . It is all personal choice and  personal wish to do in such treatment .

For most treatments, general hospitals are fine , they go cheap . They do not have all modern means , but do have good doctors ( as far as i know the same like most fancy ones) , but they do not treat all people same for sure . This is where the private hospitals step in , at a big increase in price . You go for it or not , like i said , i do not give any choice , thats personal ... i do know mine , and i do talk personal experience ( which i hope nobody should ever get that choice or chance , but since we are all on this planet living , we all do in contact with the end of life....)

But can they pay major medical-bills, without their cozy life-environement collapsing? 

You can say the same about Thais living in, and visiting the UK, it is not all one way traffic.

There are ways round this but the unelected guy posing as a PM and his soldiers would not have the brains to do anything about it.

4 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Doubt it.. There are lawsuits flying everywhere from shipping company to NZ volcano agency, etc.

If that is the case and you are planning a holiday to NZ don't go near volcanoes. (Act of God?)

1 minute ago, Almer said:

My experience  at 72 was to exclude just about everything and hike the premium, they know a payout is on its way, if i added all the Premiums up over 30+ years with limited claims I would have enough under the bed to cover all but the worst, and at best if I enjoy a quick exit there would be plenty for the wife to get on with.  HINDSIGHT is a wonderful thing.

I know where your coming from, but we cannot predict the future and the risks are always there, if we all knew we wouldn't need to insure, we wouldn't and put that money to better use, that said, as I earn from investments, I factor in the annual policy costs of the policies and don't anyone think that it doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth as I could use that money, e.g. 3 months of my annual budget or just 20% to better things, like holidays etc, that said, I couldn't bare seeing myself, my wife or my kids being treated in a public hospital, they are ok for the basics, but for the bigger stuff and personal care, it has to be private.

The fact that I earn an income from investments and don't have to pay tax on them, I also look at it as a bonus that also pays for the annual policies, e.g. if I had to pay tax on my investments, it would 32% straight off of the cuff, so it's a blessing I don't have to. If I wasn't earning money from investments, it would be coming out of my savings, and if I had to pay tax on it, that would be something that I would have to seriously look at, but as long as I am making and it's not reducing my savings and the annual budget is met, then we continue to be blessed so to speak as others are not as fortunate. 

On 11/8/2021 at 7:24 AM, worgeordie said:

Thailand used to be a nanny state when Thakisin made it possible for

Farangs with yellow book to have medical coverage , and I had 3 years

of free hospital treatment, when he left office, the then current Government

went about changing things he had done, and canceled it, and introduced

insurance coverage themselves, I believe the cost was 2,500 Thb , I went to

hospital had the health check. paid the premium, that lasted a few weeks,

until it was cancelled , and most of the premium was repaid. 

regards Worgeordie 

"When Thaksin left office. the then current Government"  I am not 100% certain, but would that not be more unelected soldiers after another coup?

6 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Yes, there are age bands. I go into the next band in three years. The increase will be another 20k or so per annum which works out at around 1600 Bt per month.

Not a problem.

For me, the main benefit is that as I'm already insured by this company, I will not be kicked off due to reaching a certain age.

As someone else has already said, if you can't afford the health insurance, you shouldn't be here. Hard, but true.

Please don't stop telling us how wonderful your life is compared to we who "shouldn't be here".

It's good for us lesser mortals to have someone like you to look up to.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

But can they pay major medical-bills, without their cozy life-environement collapsing? 

You can say the same about Thais living in, and visiting the UK, it is not all one way traffic.

There are ways round this but the unelected guy posing as a PM and his soldiers would not have the brains to do anything about it.

Would you really expect them to? Or any hypothetical Thai govt [over the decades] to pursue such policies?

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 7:53 AM, Pravda said:

Are you joking?

Do you know how much health insurance costs? 

Health insurance is far too expensive, with conditions attached to it full of legal jargon the average person would not understand. They are far too greedy, and try every trick in the book not to pay out for claims.

I once had health insurance from a Thai company, I asked them to give me it in English and they refused, so on the advice of a very influencial person, I stopped it.

The way insurance companies work, it is my opinion that no one can have peace of mind with any of them.

• Like 1

Just now, pattaya1234was said:

The policy will not only increase dramatically as you age but also if you make a claim-then watch the premium rise-as I did.

Yes, am aware of that thx, however as I have heard of a couple of guys of late being admitted into a private hospital by choice, one paying 750k baht for heart surgery and the other being admitted 3 times this year with a whopping bill of 2.6 mil baht, the later having insurance, it would only take one event like this for me to say, it was worth being insured, suffice to say, no doubt the premium would rise, then you would have to reconsider whether to continue with the insurer.

The above said, even if it was a claim of 750k baht, that would be about 10 years worth of annual insurance polies paid that would have covered the bill, on the other hand if I didn't end up in hospital, I would be ok with that because I don't insure to get into hospital, I insure to stay out of hospital if that makes sense, but if I do end up in hospital, then I am covered.

As the old saying goes, damned if you do, (not really), but damned if you don't for some. 

At the end of the day it's how you look at it and of course, one could say that they have us all by the short and curly's, it's business. 

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Health insurance is far too expensive, with conditions attached to it full of legal jargon the average person would not understand. They are far too greedy, and try every trick in the book not to pay out for claims.

I once had health insurance from a Thai company, I asked them to give me it in English and they refused, so on the advice of a very influencial person, I stopped it.

The way insurance companies work, it is my opinion that no one can have peace of mind with any of them.

Agreed

• Thanks 1

The last 2 visits to a Thai Goverment hospital for me was --- elective surgery, Hip Replacement---5 days in Udon Thani main hospital price should have been 150K, but I insisted on an Ceramic hip implant-more expensive-which they flew up from BKk . I could have got this a lot cheaper at another UD Gov hospital but I wanted this one.

Khon Kaen university heart Hospital,  loss of blood through internal bleeding---they picked this up while doing a heart check & immediately admitted me --- 4 days in Hospital private room etc blood many transfusions . 14K Baht

You can admit yourself to a government hospital -for elective surgery if you wish---you dont have to be dying.

I have been looking at different heart hospitals in BKK same surgeon --- difference in hospital price

• Like 2

23 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I use a Thai based insurance company (PC) and pay about 68,000 Bt per annum for 50 million Baht coverage. Good for foreign countries, including the USA. I'm 63.

I chose a deductible of 100,000 Bt. Have a couple of pre-conditions, but then, who hasn't.

Peace of mind. Should never get financially wiped out. For those that say the insurance company will try to stiff me, maybe they will, but it's still far better than no insurance where the outcome is entirely predictable.

"have a couple of pre-conditions, but then, who hasn't?"

I haven't, never spent a night in hospital in my life.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yes, am aware of that thx, however as I have heard of a couple of guys of late being admitted into a private hospital by choice, one paying 750k baht for heart surgery and the other being admitted 3 times this year with a whopping bill of 2.6 mil baht, the later having insurance, it would only take one event like this for me to say, it was worth being insured, suffice to say, no doubt the premium would rise, then you would have to reconsider whether to continue with the insurer.

The above said, even if it was a claim of 750k baht, that would be about 10 years worth of annual insurance polies paid that would have covered the bill, on the other hand if I didn't end up in hospital, I would be ok with that because I don't insure to get into hospital, I insure to stay out of hospital if that makes sense, but if I do end up in hospital, then I am covered.

As the old saying goes, damned if you do, (not really), but damned if you don't for some. 

At the end of the day it's how you look at it and of course, one could say that they have us all by the short and curly's, it's business. 

Not really as in business you can lose. Insurance companies may lose on one deal but make it up on other ones.