Unpleasant reading. Best not to read it.

swissie

53 minutes ago, Almer said:

Agreed a discussion in a bar the other evening “coffee bar” you understand on this very subject, gave me the impression many uninsured Falang lives in fear on this very subject.

Thai gvmnt you are missing an opportunity, if Falang are chased out the pensions stop coming in, so why not take say 2500 a month from those willing to pay, i for one would jump at the chance at 72 knowing that it’s this or nothing.

500 million Chinese and Indians would also jump at that chance.

Still want to live the dream here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

"The life span of humans – opposed to life expectancy, which is a statistical construct – hasn’t really changed much at all"

Walter Scheidel

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20181002-how-long-did-ancient-people-live-life-span-versus-longevity

I like this bit ............

"Surely, by the soot-ridden era of Charles Dickens, life was unhealthy and short for nearly everyone? Still no. As researchers Judith Rowbotham, now at the University of Plymouth, and Paul Clayton, of Oxford Brookes University, write, “once the dangerous childhood years were passed… life expectancy in the mid-Victorian period was not markedly different from what it is today”. A five-year-old girl would live to 73; a boy, to 75."

They must have missed London Docklands. According to the info in the museum, life expectancy for workers was about 40 or so early last century. Not surprising when one considers all the ships burned coal, as did the locomotives pulling the freight. It'd be like smoking continuously 24 hours a day.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They must have missed London Docklands. According to the info in the museum, life expectancy for workers was about 40 or so early last century. Not surprising when one considers all the ships burned coal, as did the locomotives pulling the freight. It'd be like smoking continuously 24 hours a day.

If you'd read the article you would have noticed the 'false baseline' indicated by the early 1900s where several factors combined to make the place more unhealthy for a decade.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pravda said:

Absolutely not true. 

Back surgery in a cheap hospital. 500,000 baht.

Head excision - over 1 million baht.

These are the prices my ex wife's father paid despite being a retired school director meaning he had government insurance.

And I think I read recently that a court had ruled dual pricing in hospitals entirely legit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sezze said:

Better choose a different hospital . You do not have to go to Bangkok Hospital , with tenniscourt , swimmingpool and supernice entrances . Take a standard hospital and your bill is very cheap , spending even 100.000 there is something very very serious happening to you .

And equally good doctors, if not better

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Another apparently unpaid lobbyist for the gross profits of the greedy insurance scammers. Doesn't everybody realise that whilst advocating the gouging of unnecessarily expensive so called 'health' insurance just encourages the gougers to load charges onto the gullible expat because they have health insurance. You are not insuring your health you are just lining the pockets of insurance scammers, big pharma, private hospitals, and all their hangers on including government officials responsible.

Do not advocate imposing your dystopian views by encouraging Immigration to constantly expand their Insurance interests to the detriment of those of us too old to get cover

You don't have any insurance, do you?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I have a catastrophic health insurance policy with a high deductible.  It costs 72,000 Baht a year—a little more than US Medicare Part B or Part D.  When I reach 71 years, it will rise to over 100k per year. May look at higher deductible or less coverage.  Will consider self insure at some point—or return to America for Medicare.

6 minutes ago, rwill said:

My wife just had vertabrae fused in her neck at Bangkok Hospital in Ratchaburi.  The total cost was 341,000 baht.  But then she had some complications and since then we have spent an additional 140,000 baht (and that was after they gave us a 50% discount after the initial surgery).  We have insurance but anything to do with her spine is excluded because she had some lumbar surgery about 20 years ago.

I have insurance but I think the only thing I would actually be covered for is cancer or injuries from accidents.  If you take medication for blood pressure, cholesteral or blood sugar they are going to exclude tons of things that could affect you.  You would think that if they aren't covering you for the majority of problems you could have the premium would be lower.  But no they just screw you over harder.

So just having medical insurance isn't always the answer.

We are fortunate to have the funds to be able to cover stuff like this.  Many are not.

The trick is, getting the policy before 60 years old. After 60, you are medically examined by a health professional and I can take a guess where their sympathies lie. Before that age, no examination.

10 hours ago, sezze said:

Better choose a different hospital . You do not have to go to Bangkok Hospital , with tenniscourt , swimmingpool and supernice entrances . Take a standard hospital and your bill is very cheap , spending even 100.000 there is something very very serious happening to you .

Indeed. Even my village hospital can supply an air-conditioned room and my experience there has been generally good.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However, it should cover repatriation if too sick to travel normally.

I'm pretty sure mine covered things like heart attacks, but not minor problems like flu.

Yes, repatriation is very concerning. I'm aware of a US guy living in LOS 2+ decades with little money but has survived well.

He's suddenly in a an advanced state of dementia. His US folks are just surviving. A friend who has been trying to keep his affairs in order got a quotation to repatriate him by air, which involved the fees for a suitably qualified nurse, his/her accommodation, flights to the US and return plus a close/long-term friend must travel with them (expenses as above. 

Plus 2 airlines approached indicated they would only carry the passenger in a curtained area using quite a few seats and fare about double for the 'patient'. One airline added a trained security officer to also accompany the group, with same expenses as above.