Unpleasant reading. Best not to read it.

swissie

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I wasn't rich, I always recognised that an unexpected medical event could cost too much, so I was always insured. When that became unrealistic, I reluctantly decided to leave Thailand.

IMO any that choose not to be insured are either fooling themselves that they could self insure for a serious road accident or a serious medical problem ( such can cost millions to survive ), or are willfully ignoring reality ( unless they have a plan B with involves becoming dead ).

I did consider whether to have a plan B involving a sharp blade, but decided I wasn't ready for that ultimate remedy.

Serious road accident covered by existing car and accident insurance (covers any accident, falling down the steps, for example) already. Medicare if I can return to the USA. In the case of heart arrack as happened in 2015, current US policy (BC/BS) will cover 165,000 baht and I pay for the excess. So, at age 74, pre-existing conditions … retired on $2400.00 baht a month, I could use an affordable major medical policy covering in excess of 500,000 baht for critical care in Thailand only. Travel elsewhere? Travel medical insurance is purchased for the length of the trip.

Edited by wwest5829

1 hour ago, Almer said:

You will get to a point that your insurers will refuse to quote due to your age

The policy I have is for life, that said, if they increase the policy dramatically as I age, then yes, I suppose you could call that cancelled culture from my part.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Yes, repatriation is very concerning. I'm aware of a US guy living in LOS 2+ decades with little money but has survived well.

He's suddenly in a an advanced state of dementia. His US folks are just surviving. A friend who has been trying to keep his affairs in order got a quotation to repatriate him by air, which involved the fees for a suitably qualified nurse, his/her accommodation, flights to the US and return plus a close/long-term friend must travel with them (expenses as above. 

Plus 2 airlines approached indicated they would only carry the passenger in a curtained area using quite a few seats and fare about double for the 'patient'. One airline added a trained security officer to also accompany the group, with same expenses as above.

There is a place in Chiang Mai..McCormack or something like that does involve themselves with cases of mentioned US guy

Id try Indian airlines for repatriation,buy 3 seats,friend inc    For years I have flown Calcutta for medical treatment   damned cheap and good

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rwill said:

I have insurance but I think the only thing I would actually be covered for is cancer or injuries from accidents.  If you take medication for blood pressure, cholesteral or blood sugar they are going to exclude tons of things that could affect you.

What did the exclude due to blood pressure sugar and cholesterol  ? did they not offer additional pre-existing condition coverage ? is it an International company plan or a Thai plan ?

1 hour ago, WilliamSmits said:

Most people I know out in Isaan seem to have money coming in more than they spend. 

It is the modest lifestyle, being happy with what you have, and having funds for a rainy day.

Some are insured, others have funds available.  And some are poor and living day by day.

Just like in the city, but without rent.

Truer and more realistic observations is what I find as well. 

All about lifestyles and living within one's means. 

The familial and social extensions remain dominant.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Almer said:

Agreed a discussion in a bar the other evening “coffee bar” you understand on this very subject, gave me the impression many uninsured Falang lives in fear on this very subject.

Thai gvmnt you are missing an opportunity, if Falang are chased out the pensions stop coming in, so why not take say 2500 a month from those willing to pay, i for one would jump at the chance at 72 knowing that it’s this or nothing.

It's easy mate,

Thailand does not wan't you here.

So that will never happen.

They have been banging on about rich foreigners for a couple of years now.

It's get out old Falangs unless your minted.

Edited by Orinoco

Heath insurance  is ok ,that if is the hospital will accept it ,some members have been saying ,go to your local government hospital ,a lot cheaper.

I would say that they would not accept your heath insurance ,especially if it not a Thai company ,they would not know how to claim from the company ,afraid they would not get paid ,a scam? so you will have to pay up front and claim back off your insurance company afterwards .

I know, I had to do this after a hip replacement ,done at a privet hospital ,I showed them my UK heath insurance  card ,they just said no, you pay , but they took my AIA  insurance no problem ,the bill was 260k AIA paid 60K, and it took almost 6 months to get the rest back from my uk company. 

Most big-city hospitals would not be a problem ,but not all of us live in a city ,my hospital ,the medical side was 1st class ,but their  admin sucked big time. 

And my insurance company will not pay if you use Bumrungrad,to expensive.

Was thinking about this a little more. Anyone know what type of visas Chinese condo owners would be getting ? The fact you invested in property I would suggest means you intend to spend more time in Thailand . I do not know how many Chinese are on retirement visas , BUT any insurance schemes that we may find hard to live with will potentially be hated by the chinese and kerb the condo sell to chinese market

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Since many don't retire into their 6o's any health insurance will lead to an extreme exodus, since most will be either unable to get it in older age and wont want to stay in a place they know they will be evicted form in a few years

But if the Thai government were on the ball, they'd just announce a say 2-3000 baht health insurance per annum premium on your visa and be done with it. 

It was calculated to around 3,500 baht per year for migrant workers a few years back, so more likely 7,000 baht - or there about - might fit for a farang in basic government hospital care, VIP-room etc. would be extra. However that would also be excellent for many foreigners, then you can choose extra insurance or savings on top...????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sezze said:

Better choose a different hospital . You do not have to go to Bangkok Hospital , with tenniscourt , swimmingpool and supernice entrances . Take a standard hospital and your bill is very cheap , spending even 100.000 there is something very very serious happening to you .

The cheap government hospital where I live has a tennis court, free and healthy to use...????

wIMG_2309_tennis-court.jpg.aa68f8d0c1701fba9a042b133b7c6ddc.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gim12 said:

a monthly pension check does not arrive from the "nanny state" it comes from your previous employer.  It is a retention tool to keep employees working at the same company for as many years as possible  so the company does not suffer from a workforce turnover.  Likewise, Social Security checks, at least for Americans, is the money the worker and his employer paid into the system over the worker's  career. Now that lifespans have increased, workers receive more than they pay in but when the system started it was the opposite, shorter lifespans meant retirees died younger so the govt made a killing (yes, pun intended)

"a monthly pension check does not arrive from the "nanny state" it comes from your previous employer. "

Depending which "nanny state" you originates from. My "nanny state" pays life-long government pension without the need of ever saving a single penny yourself, or even being employed, or paying anything to additional mandatory work pension - which is small, but comes as extra - and social security and healthcare is free. It's all paid for by the present taxpayers...????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I use a Thai based insurance company (PC) and pay about 68,000 Bt per annum for 50 million Baht coverage. Good for foreign countries, including the USA. I'm 63.

I chose a deductible of 100,000 Bt. Have a couple of pre-conditions, but then, who hasn't.

Peace of mind. Should never get financially wiped out. For those that say the insurance company will try to stiff me, maybe they will, but it's still far better than no insurance where the outcome is entirely predictable.

The health insurance problem is not when you are 63 years old, and might even still do some well paid work, the problem begins when you pass 70 and 75, then the annual fee begins to rock so even a modest coverage can cost a relative fortune.

As OP mentions i, talking about a modest life-style up Isaan, where retired people surviving an often better life than in their home country on a tiny government pension, they cannot afford the often needed 100,000+ baht a year to pay for even a modest health insurance. Many retirees in that income level will hardly be able to match the 40,000 baht monthly transfers needed for an extension of stay based on marriage.

You can for example look at a Dane with basic government pension (Folkepension), which pays around 30,000 baht per month on present exchange rate, and even with a small extra mandatory work pension (ATP) on top it will only add between 3,000 and 5,000 baht extra per month. Just 100,000 baht insurance fee per year eats more than 8,000 baht of the monthly budget, which can easily be 25 percent of a low level retirement income.

????

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

In my personal opinion and experience (as an expat) a foreigner to live in Thailand or any country other than their country of origin and passport for that matter and not have decent international coverage health insurance is a fools game and false economy, and frankly just plain stupid.

If you can't afford to pay the premium for a workable and practical insurance (even past 60 yrs old premiums) then you can't afford to live, safely, securely, and independently in Thailand.

and what about those who cannot get medical cover due to age or pre-conditions? They are not allowed to come to Thailand under your vision?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

I thought  travel heath insurance plans were for trips of a defined duration.   Are you saying we can buy travel insurance  that lasts for an indeterminate period?

Yes you can...you can buy long multi trip policies (up to an year), after the policy expires get a new one.

However many of them have the same issues in regards to the elderly people as the general medical insurance policies. The current travel insurance I have has coverage of 10K USD with policy cost 5K USD for 81 years old. My coverage is $500K USD with premium $100 USD per month

The insurance companies are for profit businesses which employ actuaries to crunch numbers to calculate at what cost point a policy should be issued. The odds for an 80+ years old to die within an year or have major health issues are pretty high - a policy with $5k cost covering $500k looks massively not profitable.

The only true cover is the national universal health care in the home countries, but we have to live there. Then again I thought the people choosing to move to Thailand are more adventurous and prefer to fully live whatever years they have left, than stay in the home country in the backyard waiting to die...which is inevitable anyway no matter what health cover is available.

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However, it should cover repatriation if too sick to travel normally.

I'm pretty sure mine covered things like heart attacks, but not minor problems like flu.

Yes it covers repatriation, also in case of serious illness but I mentioned health problems in other words treatment abroad. This is covered by my normal health insurance worldwide and I used it several times to full satisfaction.

4 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

I thought  travel heath insurance plans were for trips of a defined duration.   Are you saying we can buy travel insurance  that lasts for an indeterminate period?

No, it covers trips of 90 days, when I start a trip later on in the same year it's covered again.

Besides it's a travel insurance, NOT a travel health insurance.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Since many don't retire into their 6o's any health insurance will lead to an extreme exodus, since most will be either unable to get it in older age and wont want to stay in a place they know they will be evicted form in a few years

But if the Thai government were on the ball, they'd just announce a say 2-3000 baht health insurance per annum premium on your visa and be done with it. 

People working here pay into the Social Security fund at a percentage of their salary (up to a maximum amount per month) and get treatment at their local government hospital, I’ve always thought they should just charge the same rate on the nominal 65,000 baht/month income for a retirement extension. If you think the local hospital is not good enough for you then take out extra insurance.

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

The health insurance problem is not when you are 63 years old, and might even still do some well paid work, the problem begins when you pass 70 and 75, then the annual fee begins to rock so even a modest coverage can cost a relative fortune.

As OP mentions i, talking about a modest life-style up Isaan, where retired people surviving an often better life than in their home country on a tiny government pension, they cannot afford the often needed 100,000+ baht a year to pay for even a modest health insurance. Many retirees in that income level will hardly be able to match the 40,000 baht monthly transfers needed for an extension of stay based on marriage.

You can for example look at a Dane with basic government pension (Folkepension), which pays around 30,000 baht per month on present exchange rate, and even with a small extra mandatory work pension (ATP) on top it will only add between 3,000 and 5,000 baht extra per month. Just 100,000 baht insurance fee per year eats more than 8,000 baht of the monthly budget, which can easily be 25 percent of a low level retirement income.

????

Yes, there are age bands. I go into the next band in three years. The increase will be another 20k or so per annum which works out at around 1600 Bt per month.

Not a problem.

For me, the main benefit is that as I'm already insured by this company, I will not be kicked off due to reaching a certain age.

As someone else has already said, if you can't afford the health insurance, you shouldn't be here. Hard, but true.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1