Domestic tourism to recover next year, international tourism on the way

webfact

screenshot_15702.jpg

By Panithan Onthaworn

Domestic tourism in Thailand is expected to recover significantly in 2022, if there are no more major Covid-19 outbreaks, a research house said Monday.

However, the level of tourism will still not match the pre-Covid levels in the short to near term. Prior to the pandemic in 2019, the country recorded about 173 million domestic trips, generating over 1.09 trillion baht of tourism spending. 

For 2020, domestic travel saw 91 million trips. The amount of trips in 2021 is estimated at only 67 million trips due to the prolonged effects of the pandemic, according to Kasikorn Research Center.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/34775/domestic-tourism-to-recover-next-year-international-tourism-on-the-way/

ti.jpg
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Domestic tourism in Thailand is expected to recover significantly in 2022, if there are no more major Covid-19 outbreaks, a research house said Monday

Well that's a sure bet if I ever saw one.

• Like 2

The problem with domestic tourism is that it simply means money being spent in a different location. If I go to Rayong for the weekend, I'll generally spend a similar amount to if I stayed in Bangkok. Plus international tourism brings in foreign currency so has a much larger effect on the economy than domestic tourism.

Domestic tourism also means people mostly paying domestic prices. Much less double pricing and scams available for the local service providers. 

But with the current state of Thailand pass, I guess they have to hang their hat somewhere.

• Like 1

I am ready for domestic travel. In Chiang Mai now and would like to go to Phuket.

I am double vaccinated, but my 7 year old son is not.

I can’t find any info online on if he needs tests or not? If he does, I won’t go now.

Do anyone know if kids his age needs tests, if traveling on domestic flights??