Thailand reports 6,904 new COVID-19 cases, 61 deaths and 8,024 recoveries

webfact

COV9.jpg

File photo: REUTERS

Thailand on Tuesday (November 9) reported 6,904 new COVID-19 cases, 8,024 recoveries and 61 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Total infections since April 1: 1,953,632

▶︎ Total recoveries since since April 1: 1,838,061

Tuesday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 1,982,495 with 19,764 deaths.

The news comes as Thai authorities have been asked to increase field checks on factories and businesses, to make sure that they hire properly registered and fully vaccinated migrant workers from neighbouring countries, to prevent a new outbreak of COVID-19, similar to that in Samut Sakhon last December.

According to the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), 3,833 illegal immigrants from Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, and Malaysia – most of whom from Myanmar and Cambodia – were arrested by Thai authorities between November 1st and 7th. On November 2nd alone, 1,194 were arrested. No figures are available on the number of those who managed to evade arrest.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update9NOV).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-11-09

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/regions/asia-and-the-middle-east/

Reuters reporting for the SE Asia region.

Thailand

36% of peak and falling 

79 infections per 100K people reported last 7 days

Updated 10:34 AM IT

COVID-19 infections are decreasing in Thailand, with 7,914 new infections reported on average each day. That’s 36% of the peak — the highest daily average reported on August 17.

There have been 1,975,591 infections and 19,703 coronavirus-related deaths reported in the country since the pandemic began

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Something I can't quite figure out. The UK tests more, has a high double vaccination rate, has a much higher daily new infection rate, has less people hospitalized yet over the last month has had more deaths than Thailand. Hospitalization: Very different. UK around 9000 here around 40,000 (today). Testing (daily): Very different. UK around 1,000,000 here (who knows) but I'll say 30-40,000. New infections: Very different: (round about average for the last month) UK 35,000 here 8,000 not including ATK. Double vaccinated: Very different. UK 67% here 47%. Daily deaths: Very different. Over the last month 4,298 deaths in the UK and 2,500 in Thailand. Why such a difference in daily deaths when Thailand has almost 5x more hospitalizations, 20% less fully jabbed yet around 40% less deaths for this period. I find this both interesting and perplexing.

Well lets see, you have answered most of your own rhetorical questions.  Cases are lower due to less testing here, and the fact that the ATK tests are not included.  Vaccination rates are 20% less as you also indicated, and then of course the excess deaths we have seen and are seeing could account for the differences.  How many of the deceased were found at home in either location is another statistic that needs to be determined as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Something I can't quite figure out. The UK tests more, has a high double vaccination rate, has a much higher daily new infection rate, has less people hospitalized yet over the last month has had more deaths than Thailand. Hospitalization: Very different. UK around 9000 here around 40,000 (today). Testing (daily): Very different. UK around 1,000,000 here (who knows) but I'll say 30-40,000. New infections: Very different: (round about average for the last month) UK 35,000 here 8,000 not including ATK. Double vaccinated: Very different. UK 67% here 47%. Daily deaths: Very different. Over the last month 4,298 deaths in the UK and 2,500 in Thailand. Why such a difference in daily deaths when Thailand has almost 5x more hospitalizations, 20% less fully jabbed yet around 40% less deaths for this period. I find this both interesting and perplexing.

The age groupings of infected and or dead patients might be relevant, maybe its going through pockets of unvaccinated oldies over there, or it could well be that vulnerable older people dying here have not been tested. Or the UK system for reporting death etc is much more efficient. (Just anecdotal I know, but I have not been to a funeral for ages, these are usually fairly regular in the village, also in the area you get to know where they are due to the flags and music etc, and there hasn't been many. Maybe if the schools open a lot more kids will bring it to Grandma.) Or it could be a combination of all those factors

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thailand's Testing.

The data provided by Thailand on the covid situation is as far as I've seen very good and if you're willing to dive in then its all there. Daily risk assessments, analysis, clusters, new area's of concern and just about everything needed to make an informed opinion. BUT its all based on Thailand's own woefully low testing rates and that is where it falls. Until a few weeks ago they did provide the daily PCR tests in the dashboard but that soon vanished and made way for the positivity rate which is useless when not knowing what numbers they are basing that on, ie PUI, community etc.

They do officially release the testing numbers but it is periodically with the last release on the 23rd Oct and that was 29,284 total PCR tests carried out.

This guy's website is a good place to head, he scrapes all the data from the official sources, filters it and produces technical analysis on the information. His testing data includes the latest PUI numbers which are updated more often officially through the situation updates the DDC provides.

As you can see the last data point at the end of Oct (Blue) showed 44k tests carried out and it also has ATK tests (Purple) at 51k

image.png.8899c227caa7aa57ae258ae3e3e0b0a6.png

If anyone wants to find data then its all here:

https://djay.github.io/covidthailand/ for the above graph and lots of other data

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/ the normal daily dashboard

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/index.php?dashboard=province dashboards for each individual Province

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php Daily updates in English including risk assessments and other data.

https://data.go.th/en/dataset/covid-19-testing-data all the officail testing data that can be downloaded however as mentioned before, this was only last updated on the 23rd Oct when Thailand had only carried out 24k tests.

Interesting how the number of daily infections seems to drop off with the drop in testing. Around the time when Prayut announced the 120 days thing. Pure coincidence I'm sure.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

i would suggest the difference btwn 67% and 47% isn't as large as it may sound.  in addition, the unvaccinated in the UK most likely have more underlying conditions, like obesity.  we always see deaths by age group but the more relevant data would be the underlying conditions.  of course older people tend to have more underlying conditions so that makes one think it is an age thing but maybe not as much as the media portrays it to be.

Edited by buick

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

What can't you figure out? Thailand is a Mickey Mouse country 

Edited by Pravda
  • Like 1

Paxlovid and Molnupiravir COVID-19 treatments planned to be purchased

Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health is to seek cabinet approval this week for the procurement of two anti-viral drugs, Pfizer’s Paxlovid and Merck’s Molnupiravir, for the treatment of people in early infection with COVID-19.

Dr. Attasit Srisubat, an advisor to the Department of Medical Services, said that he expects the two oral treatments to be available in Thailand in December or January, after the completion of the Thai Food and Drug Administration registration process.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/paxlovid-and-molnupiravir-covid-19-treatments-planned-to-be-purchased/

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

Remarkable

Today's local Covid19 situation in #Chonburi. Of note, #Pattaya/Banglamung had only 13 new cases today.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/11/09/chonburi-announces-195-new-and-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-and-no-new-deaths/

255090999_2176791289139356_1554308349525704701_n.jpg

The surest signal you can get that alcohol will very soon be allowed in Pattaya.