Round trip plane ticket required?

50 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Was quizzed many moons ago from UK on visa exempt with one way ticket in days of bouncing borders. Let me go eventually, but obviously things have tightened. Probably fine with non-imm visa, though nowadays I’d be backing it up with a throwaway flight. 

I'll be coming back with 14 days left on my Non-O permission of stay and re-entry permit. People are telling me you have a visa (which anyone can see from my passport has been renewed yearly for retirement for the past three years when the new passport started) so don't worry about it. I'm also sitting on 425,000 spare frequent flyer miles/points on my United account which I can show them. But I'd appreciate hearing from others about this.

2 hours ago, Enzian said:

I'll be coming back with 14 days left on my Non-O permission of stay and re-entry permit. People are telling me you have a visa (which anyone can see from my passport has been renewed yearly for retirement for the past three years when the new passport started) so don't worry about it. I'm also sitting on 425,000 spare frequent flyer miles/points on my United account which I can show them. But I'd appreciate hearing from others about this.

You have a valid permission of stay. That has been 'protected' by you having a reentry permit.

The airline will not ask you for an onward flight.. 

Just to add for general info.

Folk are advised to have internet access for their phone at departure. 

If any airline pulls a crazy stunt your back up is to book cheapest flight on the spot.

Happened to me ONCE.

Had valid visa for Vietnam and only 5 days validity remaining. Jetstar out of Melbourne insisted on an onward flight. Fortunately I had one Saigon to Bangkok.

They were wrong re need for onward flight but these things can happen. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Would book cheapest flight out as others suggest. Aside from immigration possibly picking it up, main reason is the airline carries the can (initially) if you were refused entry on the basis of not having an exit flight for length of stay and thus would have to fly you back. The airline wouldn’t care where onward ticket is to since it alleviates them. 

Was quizzed many moons ago from UK on visa exempt with one way ticket in days of bouncing borders. Let me go eventually, but obviously things have tightened. Probably fine with non-imm visa, though nowadays I’d be backing it up with a throwaway flight. 

I was apprehensive myself flying visa exempt and using the onward flight itinerary. But i flashed a screen shot of itinerary supplied by onward flight at US ticket counter, one glance and it was good. No further questions. 

• Thanks 1