TOP 40 Things: Greatest about Scotland and People hailing from Scotland. Can we name all 40?

GammaGlobulin

Lets just say the Scots, as we are known will die out soon, our population which was predominately mixed between the Romans, Vikings and others dating back pre 1,600  

The birth rate dropped 90% between 1980-2000 and startling figure, families were smaller no longer averaging 5 kids, now its 1-1.2

So in 200 years ALL gone.

As for me

I would say Scots are known for

• Poor control with Alcohol, we simply struggle to say “I’ve had enough no more”, we need to be told “You’ve had enough”
  • Bad teeth, but that’s mostly related to diet and the water containing too much fluoride.
  • Blame the Romans and Vikings for the Booze issue

For me the weather was (IS) absolutely horrible, it was the constant COLD DREICH Damp rain that made me leave

Personally.....

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE....  IAN ANDERSON of Scotland....!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes, he plays the fool on stage, yet he is an amazing artist and flautist who can blow on his flute standing only on one leg.

Can you?

No!!!!

I LOVE this guy!

My GOODNESS, can you ever get much better than THIS?!!!!

No!

When God gave out a musical instrument to every country in the world,

Scotland was last in the que and there none left, so God asked the Devil

if he had anything to make a noise, the Devil said yer they can have these

'fin bagpipes.

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2021 at 11:10 AM, itsari said:

Steam trains 

Television 

Bay City rollers

Billy Connolly

Sean Connery

Annie Lennox

Donnovan 

Scotch whiskey 

Distinguished Engineers are well over 40 on there own which I think  are representing Scotland the most .

I liked Billy Connolly when he was slagging Braveheart off, ie telling the truth. 

Edited by rott
<deleted> spellcheck
  • Like 1

You know, some guys dream about visiting Antarctica, in order to reach the pinnacle of their bucket list.

As for me, I often dream of visiting the beautiful land named Scotland.

I dunno why, but I just wish I will get there before I die.

At this moment, I am happy with Thailand, and do not wish to leave.

Someday, maybe, if I am very lucky, I will be in Scotland, just wait and see.

If one wishes hard enough, as Dorothy correctly stated in the Wizard of Oz film production, good things happen to good men.

Someday, maybe, my house will be whisked off to Scotland.

This will be a wonderful ending to my life, here...

And, maybe a new beginning.

I wish, I wish, I wish......

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Where in the world can find heart, liver and lungs running around for chasing?

Most animals, including us ????

But seriously, the farmed haggis just don't have the same full flavour of the wild ones. IMHO clockwise ones have better flavour than anticlockwise ones, but that's just personal taste.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Most animals, including us ????

But seriously, the farmed haggis just don't have the same full flavour of the wild ones. IMHO clockwise ones have better flavour than anticlockwise ones, but that's just personal taste.

But the clockwise/anticlockwise breed only have three legs!  I prefer the four legged variety so we can get one leg each.  The only problem is they are too fast to catch going downhill compared to the three legged ones!

PS;  For the non Scots-  The anti/clockwise Haggi need three legs so they can go round corners-the single leg is on the inside track!

Edited by fangless
PS Added
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, fangless said:

The only problem is they are too fast to catch going downhill

That's where you are going wrong! You have to chase them across the hill in the "wrong" direction which puts the longer legs on the uphill side, they overbalance and roll down the hill. Easy to catch whilst they are still dizzy.

To really get to know Scotland and the Scots people you have to spend some time there. Perhaps the most beautiful country on earth, people who are genuine and friendly, I have lived in England, Australia and Thailand but the only place I have ever felt at home was when visiting Scotland, so at home in fact that my 3 week holiday turned into 11 months. I should never have left.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Personally.....

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE....  IAN ANDERSON of Scotland....!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes, he plays the fool on stage, yet he is an amazing artist and flautist who can blow on his flute standing only on one leg.

Can you?

No!!!!

I LOVE this guy!

My GOODNESS, can you ever get much better than THIS?!!!!

No!

We saw Tull in Dallas about thirty years ago (Thai wife kept asking, "which one is Jethro?").   Ian had a knee injury from a stage fall earlier in the tour.   He danced the whole concert away in the same style as normal, except in a wheelchair!   ????

31 minutes ago, JWRC said:

To really get to know Scotland and the Scots people you have to spend some time there. Perhaps the most beautiful country on earth, people who are genuine and friendly, I have lived in England, Australia and Thailand but the only place I have ever felt at home was when visiting Scotland, so at home in fact that my 3 week holiday turned into 11 months. I should never have left.

Good to know.

I need a Plan B.

Now, I think I have one.

(Maybe it should have been Plan A.)

10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Coukd never take a bloke in a skirt seriously ! ????

That reminds me that of what my Dad would say to me. 

When young I ask my Dad when we were once in a church for whatever, why the priest / vicar that was talking to everyone was wearing a skirt, he said " Never trust a man in a skirt."   ????

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JWRC said:

God's country no doubt and where I would like to end up........even though I am a Sassanach 

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

What, not even when he's just picked up and tossed a phone pole end over end?

Wears a skirt, no underwear, has a crotch handbag, and likes to toss (cabers) ? C'mon mate that just aint right !! ????

• Haha 2