Thailand Pass changes in the pipeline?

samtam

This is really confusing.

1. I hope somebody clarifies whether the health insurance is required for people on 1 year visa or just for tourists? 

2. If it applies for people on 1 year visa/extension, then how long should we be covered for?

3. Must the insurance also include Covid hospitalization?

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

Interesting post and here's hoping they make further updates on those topics. I have a February booking but if there are no changes I would throw away my ticket. Jetstar sale so no big deal.

They would miss out on my spending for three weeks on hotels and food etc. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, asiam110 said:

This is new, it could be 24days confinement?  How does that work, is this if you involuntarily come into contact with someone at hospital that you never wanted to go to (as asymptomatic and otherwise healthy) on your last day that has covid19?

Does the word 'only' belong anywhere near that sentence ????

Someone could be:

1. Doing a 10 day hotel quarantine, and

2. They take a mandatory PCR test on day 9, and

3. A positive test result is returned the next day, so

4. Off to hotel quarantine for 14 days

That's something like 23 or 24 days duration, depending on how the days are calculated.

15 hours ago, Chris.B said:

What about long time foreign residents who are denied insurance cover due to age or prior health conditions? No mention about them! ☹️☹️

Also, what about long time foreign residents who are quoted extortionately high sums for insurance cover because of age or prior health conditions! ☹️☹️

Why didn't he mention these situations?? A wasted opportunity to sort this mess out.

What is there to clarify? If they can't afford to come to Thailand they better stay at home where a safety net is provided for them.

• Sad 5

16 hours ago, samtam said:

1) seems to indicate a complete change to the requirement as I understand it, that resident non-Thais without SS, are required to take out Covid insurance for the duration of their Extension of Stay. D-G says "no". But that's not official, or is it?

No change, afaik they never said that you need insurance for the duration that you will be stamped in, this was just an interpretation of it by some people.

Edited by jackdd

"   2) seems to indicate that they are aware of the inconvenience and overkill of 1 night ASQ and the costs involved, both known, and unknown, if you test positive."

I just discovered my 1 night hotel does the swab test 3 times per day and by appointment (arriving person must ask hotel to put their name on the list).

Last test is 6:00 pm each day. No flexibility.

Result is released at 6:00 pm the next day. No flexibility. 24hrs to get the result.

I was hoping to take a domestic flight departing Suvarnabhumi at 4:30 pm (last flight of the day) but not possible because I won't have any negative test report to allow me to depart the hotel.

Therefore it becomes 2 nights stay.  

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Insurance: I am in Thailand for a 14 day vacation. My insurance covers just that (Axa, 1900 THB, if I remember correctly). The entry stamp grants me the usual visa free 30 day period. So I could change my return flight, stay 30 days and potentially even extend further.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, samtam said:

I asked the director general about this, and he said a 30-day policy would be plenty.

Unfortunately, the director general is not the one who is approving the Thai pass personally. .  So unless he officially directed the people to accept a 30 day insurance it is all just talk. I have never seen a more disorganised  process in my life. , 14 days in it and we still don't have a clear picture of what they want. 

As Samtam said " As many have suggested, until this is sorted out, it's best to avoid any incoming visit unless necessary. " . 

out  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Usually guests have to checkout by 12:00. Do they want you to pay for the second day? Especially if you stay for more than 24 hours?

Yes. That part is annoying, but much more annoying is that it means an additional day before I can fly domestic and meet my Thai family who I haven't seen for a long time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

Some form of self insurance would be useful.  Keeping money in a locked bank account would help some older retirees, although of course not all.

After all many of us keep US$ 25,000 in a bank account for 6 months for the extension (I keep mine there year round). Some adjustment in this area could be the answer. This could go some way to help us old folk who do not like the idea of being ripped off by insurance companies by reason of age

I thought that the reason for money in the bank or income requirements for extensions was to satisfy the Government that we had the means to maintain our selves. Now they are having two bites at the cherry. Having said that I would not mind some Covid only insurance until the pandemic dies down.

One major health issue and the 25,000 is gone in a flash

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, superal said:

Everything was going well until this latest Thai pass .

I understand that it sucks for them, I'm merely being realistic.

Everything was going well... until they ran out of luck. In this case now it was the insurance requirement, could as well have been an expensive hospital treatment.

What would the persons that you describe do if they had to pay a million or two (or 5?) for hospital treatment? Ask the wife to sell her house to pay for the treatment? I suspect there is quite a number of wifes who would refuse.

Unless we have Thai citizenship we always have to be prepared to leave Thailand at some point.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

Everything he is saying is like hearsay right now if you have an extension to stay for 12 months and you leave the country and say you have 11 months left on your extensions day do you need to have insurance for 11 months the time left on your Visa or can you just get the insurance for 30 days there’s a very big difference in the cost TIT

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stefanix said:

Insurance: I am in Thailand for a 14 day vacation. My insurance covers just that (Axa, 1900 THB, if I remember correctly). The entry stamp grants me the usual visa free 30 day period. So I could change my return flight, stay 30 days and potentially even extend further.

Yes. And if you decide to go to immigration and get another 30 days, nobody asks for COVID insurance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rocking Robert said:

One major health issue and the 25,000 is gone in a flash

Of course you  are right.  I was just sowing a germ of an idea. It would need fleshing out.

The Government has set the bar at US$50,000 so 800,000 baht would need to be doubled. It would need to stay in the bank full time. If you had to dip into it for medical treatment there would need to be a grace period for top up (lighting does strike twice in the same place, but seldom) and you would need to produce medical receipts when renewing your extension.

Just some thoughts; more are needed.  At least I get to keep my money rather than pouring down the drain with expensive insurance I do not want and do not need.

21 hours ago, EricTh said:

This is really confusing.

1. I hope somebody clarifies whether the health insurance is required for people on 1 year visa or just for tourists? 

2. If it applies for people on 1 year visa/extension, then how long should we be covered for?

3. Must the insurance also include Covid hospitalization?

1. Insurance is required for people on 1 year visa.

2. Your insurance will have to be valid for the period of your extension. My health insurance runs out on the 14th February but I got

it extended to 03rd April is which is the date my retirement extension is renewed.

3. Yes it has to cover Covid, I asked my insurance company for a letter stating that fact which satisfied the requirement and it was accepted

in my Thailand Pass application

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

What is there to clarify? If they can't afford to come to Thailand they better stay at home where a safety net is provided for them.

What a complete dlckhead you are! ☹️☹️

I suspect most of the guys effected have more money than you will ever see. However, they resent being unfairly extorted by the insurance companies because of their age and/or prior medical conditions.

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

I suspect most of the guys effected have more money than you will ever see.

That's good, so they won't have a problem to purchase the required insurance and can enjoy their life in Thailand.

56 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

However, they resent being unfairly extorted by the insurance companies because of their age and/or prior medical conditions.

They aren't more "unfairly extorted" than every other person who has to buy an insurance policy, has nothing to do with age or medical conditions.

An older person costs the insurance company more money, so the older person pays a higher premium than a younger person. Percentage wise the level of "extortion" is the same, for the young and the old person, it's the profit margin of the insurance company.

Edited by jackdd
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, CRUNCHER said:

I am not naïve. I could have an emergency tomorrow.  That is why I keep cash in the bank (4 million at the moment).  I have more overseas if necessary. I have three overseas credit cards, that I seldom use, but which can give me about 1.3 million baht. All this is to cover emergencies, medical or otherwise.

Yes there are risks, but not great.  I take them willingly. And I do know not everyone is as lucky as me, however, I didn't get that lucky by pouring money down the drain. The money I have saved in premiums over the years would go a long way to covering medical expenses.

"I didn't get that lucky by pouring money down the drain."  Hahaha, well said! ????

I would think if you needed to pay medical bills of the order of your savings then you would have had some very serious medical issues. This might seriously effect your quality of life anyway and slipping away at that point might be preferable?

• Thanks 1