Loan sharks arrested in six provinces after man shoots himself - one victim aged TEN needed school fees

webfact

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thailand's cyber police headed by Pol Lt-Gen Kornchai Khlaikhleung said that seven arrests were made in raids in eight places across six provinces in connection with online loan sharking.

Raids took place in Bangkok, Suphanburi, Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Phangnga and Sa Kaeo to smash the "Neua Jot Tai" gang. 

One person got away.

This followed the tragic case of a 44 year old Kamphaeng Phet man called Jirajan Prajak who shot himself dead after depositing money in pursuit of a loan that was later not approved causing him losses of 130,000 baht, reported Daily News

One case also involved a girl in Phichit aged just ten who wanted to borrow 6,000 for her school fees. 

She sent the gang three installments of 300 baht each but was denied the loan and forfeited the 900 baht. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-11-12

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 6

27 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

How in the world have insanity gone so far that people that need to borrow money first make deposits for the loan? It defies all logic and purpose with a loan.

Probably called a non-refundable application fee.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

How in the world have insanity gone so far that people that need to borrow money first make deposits for the loan? It defies all logic and purpose with a loan.

If you want a mortgage for a house in my country, you need to have a minimum of 10% of the loan deposited with the bank.

Do the banks in your home countru not have similar?

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

This advance loan fee fraud is a common scam world-wide Desperate folk take desperate actions. As an example, this is a warning from a UK consumer organisation.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/advance-loan-fee-fraud-and-scams-aSq3j4b6mw3y

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Heartbreaking ????

Indeed, that's just really sad, I bet the one that got conveniently away is the head honcho too. If Facebook can plaster mis-information warning everywhere for differing opinions on covid issues then they can sure as hell add warning about loan sharks and loan scams... Same applies to line or tiktok or whatever the acquisition source was here..

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Joe Farang said:

If you want a mortgage for a house in my country, you need to have a minimum of 10% of the loan deposited with the bank.

Do the banks in your home countru not have similar?

No, I need to can pay 20 % of the total price, because they only approve loans up to 80 % of the total property value.

But on the other hand, you can mostly get a private loan without security from other loan company approved by the financial commission.

Also how can you be so confused, that you look at a percentage a person should pay for what they buy, with a scam fee to get a loan approved? Really????

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

Loan sharks and their outrageous interest rates should be taught to every high school student, and most adults in Thailand.. Prior the internet you'd see small ads plastered over phone boxes and public walls advertising loans but now you can sit at home, cruise the internet and borrow using online banking, Unlike banks, there's no cross checking so it's not uncommon to borrow from multiple sources. There are daily, weekly and monthly loans. My wife's cousin had 10 loans, over 3 months I saw a cheerful person change into a withdrawn shadow of herself, constantly hunched over her phone, borrowing from Peter to pay Paul by the 6 pm deadline or whatever. 

Finally she couldn't pay so she did a runner, moving 200 km away to stay with relatives, fearing for her personal safety. Her husband didn't let the kids go outside alone, he was afraid they would be kidnapped. This went on for months till the cousin's father sold some farmland to pay off the sharks.

Stories like this can only increase in the internet age unless the authorities take serious action against the sharks but that seems unlikely as long as vested interests are at stake 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

One case also involved a girl in Phichit aged just ten who wanted to borrow 6,000 for her school fees. 

She sent the gang three installments of 300 baht each but was denied the loan and forfeited the 900 baht.

Saddening times we live in.

And scum that prey on the needy.

• Like 1

Know who uses loan sharks - people who have no other choice.

Ask Gov't why people can't pay school fees on installments.

Ask Gov't why they have no programs for poor people.

All over the world - money talks. U got none - you have no voice.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bannork said:

Loan sharks and their outrageous interest rates should be taught to every high school student, and most adults in Thailand.. Prior the internet you'd see small ads plastered over phone boxes and public walls advertising loans but now you can sit at home, cruise the internet and borrow using online banking, Unlike banks, there's no cross checking so it's not uncommon to borrow from multiple sources. There are daily, weekly and monthly loans. My wife's cousin had 10 loans, over 3 months I saw a cheerful person change into a withdrawn shadow of herself, constantly hunched over her phone, borrowing from Peter to pay Paul by the 6 pm deadline or whatever. 

Finally she couldn't pay so she did a runner, moving 200 km away to stay with relatives, fearing for her personal safety. Her husband didn't let the kids go outside alone, he was afraid they would be kidnapped. This went on for months till the cousin's father sold some farmland to pay off the sharks.

Stories like this can only increase in the internet age unless the authorities take serious action against the sharks but that seems unlikely as long as vested interests are at stake 

I have known 2 people who also did runners & moved hundreds of kilometres away, the loan sharks still found them, the last one has legged it to Dubai and thinks she will be able to pay it all back including the agent who got her there, to make matters worse she abandoned her Falang seriously Disabled husband after draining ALL his money, the only contact now is an emoji sent ???? personally I hope she rots in hell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seedy said:

Know who uses loan sharks - people who have no other choice.

Ask Gov't why people can't pay school fees on installments.

Ask Gov't why they have no programs for poor people.

All over the world - money talks. U got none - you have no voice.

Not so a lot of gamblers use them too.