• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's for real...Youtube is back!

Youtube is back

The Information and Communications Technology Thursday has lifted the ban on the popular video blog site,Youtube.com.

Information and Communications Technology Minister Sitthichai Pookaiyaudom said that Thailand decided to lift up the block on Youtube after it agreed to block people in Thailand from accessing its clips of which the contents violate the Thai laws.

He added that Youtube just finished creating such blocking programme.

He said that the ministry has nothing to do with the apology message to the Thai king and Thai people on Youtube but Youtube has taken care the matter by itself.

The site could be now accessed by Thais after the site was banned early May following posting of video clips seen as insulting His Majesty the King.

The site now has a video clip appeared to be an apology from the person who posted the first clips in mocking of His Majesty.

"I never realise how the Thai king is important to Thai people ... I never mean to hurt Thai King" he said in the video entitled "My Apology to the People and King of Thailand" released May 19.

The Nation

source: http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/08/30/hea...es_30047154.php

Ban on YouTube lifted after deal

Website to block clips offensive to Thais or that break Thai law

The government yesterday lifted its ban on the YouTube website after the site's management agreed to block any video clips deemed offensive to Thai people or those that violate Thai law.

Information and Communications Technology Minister Sitthichai Pookai-yaudom said local Internet surfers would now be able to access the YouTube site, which has been banned since April 3.

This follows an agreement between the Ministry of ICT and YouTube that the site would curb any clips which have contents considered an affront to Thai people or those that violate the Kingdom's laws.

Sitthichai said YouTube had just finished creating a program that would block sensitive video clips from being accessed from Thai Internet service providers (ISPs).

Earlier this year, the Ministry of ICT tried to persuade the YouTube management into removing several video clips that mocked the Thai monarchy. However, the website insisted on keeping those clips, arguing that its homepage was a global forum of freedom of expression.

YouTube, now controlled by Google, allows people to post and share video clips, and is a highly popular website.

The controversy sparked off earlier this year when a person from the US, using the pseudonym "Paddidda", posted several video clips insulting the Thai monarchy. This happened when the political situation in Thailand was tense, with an undercurrent of confrontation between supporters of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and those who backed the military regime.

After a series of futile negotiations with YouTube to withdraw the clips, the Ministry of ICT decided to ban the site altogether, prompting accusations from the international media that the military regime was taking Thailand to times past with stringent censorship laws.

It was not until May 10 that 'Paddidda' issued an apology through YouTube. At that time there were reports that the Ministry of ICT would soon lift the ban, but it was not until YouTube had come up with software to block provocative clips, that the ministry agreed to finally make the site available in Thailand.

Sitthichai said yesterday the ministry had nothing to do with the apologies to the Thai King and Thai people loaded onto the YouTube website.

"YouTube has taken care of the matter by itself," he said.

On May 10, 'Silpajarun', a Thai woman, assisted 'Paddidda' by posting a Thai version of the apology. 'Silpajarun' was quick to add that she was in no way related to 'Paddidda'.

'Paddidda', a Thaksin fan, gave political motivation as the reason for her offensive videos. 'Silpajarun' quoted 'Paddidda' as saying: "I will work for Thaksin no more. Yes, I might have achieved nothing, but it is better than to be hated forever."

The YouTube account in the name of 'Paddidda' and the disrespectful videos have been deleted from the website.

- The Nation

YouTube Under Fire Over Nazi Clips

YouTube’s in trouble again, and this goes far beyond issues of copyright law; the German government, along with at least one major Jewish group, is angry about the presence of Nazi propaganda on the video-sharing site.

“The appearance or distribution of Nazi material is illegal in Germany,” notes Bloomberg’s Patrick Donahue. As a result, Jugendschutz.de, “[a] government-sponsored Internet watchdog group,” has had to file “more than 100 complaints to YouTube about the clips.”

Another section of the Bloomberg piece reveals that “Salomon Korn, vice president of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, told SWR [a German broadcaster] that he expects state prosecutors and authorities to take action.”

Google and YouTube spokespeople have claimed that they will remove every inappropriate clip, but it remains to be seen if the companies can act quickly - and thoroughly - enough. And even if Google is perfectly accommodating, new Nazi videos could be uploaded onto YouTube and complicate matters.

No timetables have been set for whatever sort of showdown may occur. In the meantime, Google is probably less than happy about the publicity it’s receiving due to this matter.

- Web Pro News

Have they thought about employing a few mods ? :o

I am in University now. I will check it at home later. My Internet service provider is TRUE....

I mean why does anything depend on it"s internet service provider btw???? In Uni, it didn't work, maybe because they have some kind of law for entertainment and concerning certain websites....

....until the evening.... I"ll see to it,...I believe it once I have witnessed it with my own eyes. It's gona be a LONG, LONG day for me.... :o:D:D:D

Checked out youtube first thing in the morning - nothing new. Same old crap. Did we miss anything?

Or is it just the excitement of being "in"?

Works on True ADSL (Bangkok). And DTAC (via mobile phone).

As for the "deal" made with YouTube, we need to be carefull... And check with the US.

My point is : offensive videos (at least 1) is still on line...

And what system could it be : block some keywords when the IP of the visitor is Thailand related ?

Or a "moderation" work ?

I should add that Metacafe is still unreachable. But Veoh is working again...

Edited by cclub75

Interesting, now Germany are throwing a wobbler! What is also interesting is we hope that Germany and Jewish Groups understand the offensive material posted about the Thai monarch was also illegal.........in Thailand. I wonder how many Americans too will have their arms in the air throwing a fit at Nazi videos which they see as unfit for showing. When it was a lot of them guys and girls who were in hysterics at the Thai government and their lese-majeste laws!

I wonder how many of those guys who laughed at Thailand while lecturing them on the beauty of Human Rights and Speech are now cursing YouTube at not deleting Pro-Nazi videos?

Now, they can learn their lesson while Thailand can finally have a laugh for a change about.........Speech as a Human Right.

Talk about double-standards or what!

YouTube Under Fire Over Nazi Clips

YouTube’s in trouble again, and this goes far beyond issues of copyright law; the German government, along with at least one major Jewish group, is angry about the presence of Nazi propaganda on the video-sharing site.

“The appearance or distribution of Nazi material is illegal in Germany,” notes Bloomberg’s Patrick Donahue. As a result, Jugendschutz.de, “[a] government-sponsored Internet watchdog group,” has had to file “more than 100 complaints to YouTube about the clips.”

Another section of the Bloomberg piece reveals that “Salomon Korn, vice president of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, told SWR [a German broadcaster] that he expects state prosecutors and authorities to take action.”

Google and YouTube spokespeople have claimed that they will remove every inappropriate clip, but it remains to be seen if the companies can act quickly - and thoroughly - enough. And even if Google is perfectly accommodating, new Nazi videos could be uploaded onto YouTube and complicate matters.

No timetables have been set for whatever sort of showdown may occur. In the meantime, Google is probably less than happy about the publicity it’s receiving due to this matter.

- Web Pro News

Edited by Stephen Cleary