Walking - Jogging...... What do you do?

dingdongrb

I live in a nice large moo-ban (Banwangtan). I walk and jog almost daily (unless it rains). When doing so I always walk or jog facing the oncoming traffic. I have been doing this since I was young and was taught to do so. The reason is, it's best to see oncoming traffic rather than not in order to make a quick dash out of the way for drivers that aren't paying attention and perhaps don't see you.

I notice during my excursions that not just the Thais but farangs as well seem to walk/jog with the traffic and IF they hear a vehicle approaching they turn around and watch it go by and they might slightly step aside when doing so.

What do you do?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Yesterday morning I walked about 14kms. Up and down Pattaya beach from Naklua to Pratumnak and back. No point running. Facing or following the Thai ladies poses no dangers but only delights. Plenty of good views to see. Highly recommended.

That's a good walk at a good pace!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

....or live in city congested conditions. 

Despite Bangkok's reputation, it does have lots of green areas and quiet sois away from the traffic. Lots of parks too. Wachirabenchathat and Chatuchak are just two Bangkok parks on my morning route here. 

2020_05_08_09.01.10.jpg

20200523_072610.jpg

20200509_062942.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Yesterday morning I walked about 14kms. Up and down Pattaya beach from Naklua to Pratumnak and back. No point running. Facing or following the Thai ladies poses no dangers but only delights. Plenty of good views to see. Highly recommended.

2021_11_11_08.38.56.jpg

I noticed on your map the 'Arts in Paradise'. Is that still open there in Pattaya? I'm disappointed that they closed the one here in CM. I guess I can't blame them because of the COVID and lack of tourists, but the one here closed before COVID.

2 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Despite Bangkok's reputation, it does have lots of green areas and quiet sois away from the traffic. Lots of parks too. Wachirabenchathat and Chatuchak are just two Bangkok parks on my morning route here. 

2020_05_08_09.01.10.jpg

20200523_072610.jpg

20200509_062942.jpg

Typical farang......no mask (only joking)

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

What do you do?

No traffic in my moobaan, I usually walk along the middle of the road.

No mask required when exercising, most of the residents only put a mask on when going outside the gates. No need to go near anyone else (if that worries you).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

You try walking all that way with a mask fully covering! Especially after some super expensive wine the night before ???? 

On unlimited free wine at the minute......struggle to make down for breakfast.

• Haha 2

Just now, Moonlover said:

Ah the pleasures of walking in the Issan countryside. One hour per day in clean fresh air and no traffic, just the occasional bovine.

Clean fresh air......April to December.

Can't even see the hills near us January to March

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No traffic in my moobaan, I usually walk along the middle of the road.

No mask required when exercising, most of the residents only put a mask on when going outside the gates. No need to go near anyone else (if that worries you).

You're quoting me? Where did I mention anything about a mask? 

NOTE: If it wasn't clear I was trying to understand if folks walked/jogged with traffic or facing it.

5 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I noticed on your map the 'Arts in Paradise'. Is that still open there in Pattaya? I'm disappointed that they closed the one here in CM. I guess I can't blame them because of the COVID and lack of tourists, but the one here closed before COVID.

No idea even what "Arts in Paradise" is or was. They seem to get it prominently displayed on maps though.

23 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

No idea even what "Arts in Paradise" is or was. They seem to get it prominently displayed on maps though.

Here in CM it was a 3D art museum. Actually kind of fun to go through every now and then. (I enjoyed it as well as my daughter and wife.)

http://www.bangkok.com/pattaya/attractions/art-in-paradise.htm

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Here in CM it was a 3D art museum. Actually kind of fun to go through every now and then. (I enjoyed it as well as my daughter and wife.)

Haven't ventured inside but there is an Art in Paradise on the 1006. If leaving town it's immediately beyond the intersection with the 3029 on your right side.

https://www.facebook.com/artinparadise.cnx/

(18.7797141, 99.0432217)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Haven't ventured inside but there is an Art in Paradise on the 1006. If leaving town it's immediately beyond the intersection with the 3029 on your right side.

https://www.facebook.com/artinparadise.cnx/

(18.7797141, 99.0432217)

Wow, thanks for that. I didn't know as I rarely go out that way. It seems like they moved locations possibly and looking at the pics on FB it appears they have new exhibits. Looks like I'll be venturing out there in the next week or so.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:58 PM, dingdongrb said:

I notice during my excursions that not just the Thais but farangs as well seem to walk/jog with the traffic

I strive to go against traffic, but sometimes going with traffic provides shading, and then I may compromise. Maybe that is what you are noticing? Also remember, if your observations are from your runs, you will probably pass more people going/running in the opposite direction as you, even though there might actually be less.

1 hour ago, lkn said:

I strive to go against traffic, but sometimes going with traffic provides shading, and then I may compromise. Maybe that is what you are noticing? Also remember, if your observations are from your runs, you will probably pass more people going/running in the opposite direction as you, even though there might actually be less.

I don't think the shade has anything to do with it. Have ever been to Banwangtan? I ask because there are huge trees everywhere and they provide shade on both sides of most of the roads.

NOTE: My activity usually occurs early morning and late evening where there's little direct sunlight providing any extra heat.

I understand what you are saying about passing folks but did you notice that I said I do both, walk and jog. I still stand behind what my eyes show me and that is that most seem to walk & jog with traffic. I notice this looking down the cross-roads I pass by also.

OP, if not too far from your area, you could try the tracks for joggers (and separated, for bycicles) that run from the Intl Convention Center to 700y Stadium and beyond to Don Kaew. About 6-7 km one way. Quite pleasant especially in the late afternoon & evenings. Also, the circuit around 700y is very popular with joggers and it's a lap of 2km. Easy parking, many food/drinks stalls, and lots of fellow joggers/walkers from those with flip-flops to the professionals.

The Intl Conv center is also a magnet for joggers, open evenings, but at this time is converted to a covid-19 testing and vaccination area.