Poll: Expats -- do you identify as a globalist?

Jingthing

Globalism, Globalist, Globalization  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Any links for the latter?  I'd love to see that.  Seriously.  I'm socially liberal and fiscally conservative.  Try to be close to the center.

https://slate.com/business/2016/06/bernie-sanders-take-on-globalization-is-simple-ideologically-comforting-and-factually-wrong.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-wing_populism

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Oh Jingthing, did you really want a discussion on 'globalist' or was it your intention to start expats on a political Left/Right confrontation?

I think upu know the answer to that question already......................

1 minute ago, bojo said:

I think upu know the answer to that question already......................

It isn't true.

I'm interested here in the practical realities of living as an expat.

Any expat that espouses extreme anti globalism from the left or right is a walking contradiction. Expats are globalism!

• Haha 2

Just now, Jingthing said:

It isn't true.

Any expat that espouses extreme anti globalism from the left or right is a walking contradiction. Expats are globalism!

and you'll see my posts are exactly that....................................No one has expressed 'Expats are globalism' in this thread anymore than me.................................

I would also add that many of your threads you initiate, seem to end up with left/right divide, what's a man to think.........................................

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, bojo said:

and you'll see my posts are exactly that....................................No one has expressed 'Expats are globalism' in this thread anymore than me.................................

I would also add that many of your threads you initiate, seem to end up with left/right divide, what's a man to think.........................................

Out of my control what you think. The topic here is not me.

3 minutes ago, allanos said:

It goes without saying that I expected to receive brickbats from the virtuous denizens on this forum, rather typical knee-jerk reactions from the usual suspects, it must be said.

These are the same people whose glowing political self-assessment is that they are unbiased, middle-of-the-roaders, the proud possessors of a dna steeped in fairness and non-partisanship.

It is laughable and patently untrue, of course, as any untainted, outside observer would agree, I'm sure.

11 minutes ago, allanos said:

It goes without saying that I expected to receive brickbats from the virtuous denizens on this forum, rather typical knee-jerk reactions, it must be said.

These are the same people whose glowing political self-assessment is that they are unbiased, middle-of-the-roaders, the proud possessors of a dna steeped in fairness and non-partisanship.

It is laughable and patently untrue, of course, as any untainted, outside observer would agree, I'm sure.

I've been advocating avoiding using the global words as weapons from any side as globalism is a fact of life and issues related to it are better discussed as specific issues. To say you hate globalism when your life depends on it is kind of like saying you hate oxygen.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I've been advocating avoiding using the global words as weapons from any side as globalism is a fact of life and issues related to it are better discussed as specific issues. To say you hate globalism when your life depends on it is kind of like saying you hate oxygen.

You are taking my words out of context, which does not surprise me one iota.

I have stated nowhere that I HATE globalism; it is part and parcel of our lives, of our current "being".  That doesn't mean that I am enamoured with many of the faces behind the "movement", either those on the right of the political spectrum, or on the left, those who have become powerful enough to set themselves up as our puppet-masters.  Anyone dispassionate enough would know many of the same names that come to my mind.

It is highly debatable whether our lives depend on globalism - the very oxygen we breathe or the life-blood which runs through our veins.

This latter subject may be worthy of another thread, possibly, or to be put to a vote: "Does our very existence absolutely depend on globalism"?

If you decide to put this question to our members, my answer will be an unequivocal "NO"!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, allanos said:

I have stated nowhere that I HATE globalism; it is part and parcel of our lives, of our current "being".  That doesn't mean that I am enamoured with many of the faces behind the "movement", either those on the right of the political spectrum, or on the left, those who have become powerful enough to set themselves up as our puppet-masters.  Anyone dispassionate enough would know many of the same names that come to my mind.

It is highly debatable whether our lives depend on globalism - the very oxygen we breathe or the life-blood which runs through our veins.

This latter subject may be worthy of another thread, possibly, or to be put to a vote: "Does our very existence absolutely depend on globalism"?

If you decide to put this question to our members, my answer will be an unequivocal "NO"!

Our modern lives I would be a yes.

I realize there are prepper survivalist types that would see it differently.

55 minutes ago, allanos said:

It goes without saying that I expected to receive brickbats from the virtuous denizens on this forum, rather typical knee-jerk reactions, it must be said.

Since you have no idea who we are, I call BS.  I am what I say I am.  And you have no idea.  Don't make assumptions.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, allanos said:

Go to any store and look at the labels on what you purchase.  A lot comes from other countries.  Globalism.  Like it or not.

The roots of Globalism originate after the second world war when most nations and their citizens realized they needed international cooperation to avoid another world war and the horrors that WW11 brought. Thus was born the United Nations which remained largely apolitical until a new generation of people were born and became adults without the memory of the second world war. Then there began to arise a resentment to international cooperation, internationalisation if you will and the dilution of parochialism and nationalism. This resentment aligned itself with the right wing of politics.

Since then we have seen a steady rise of anti UN sentiment and talk of a "world government" which has allowed a renaissance of fascism and dictatorships, exactly the scenario which the UN sought to avoid. The UN has expanded its role to embrace alleviation of poverty, disease and boosting education in poor countries. This has further inflamed antagonism on the right wing who are essentially narcissistic by nature.

The last few years has seen some events on a global scale which have inescapably required international cooperation and which the UN is distinctly well positioned to deal with. These are climate change and coronavirus. Much of the antagonistic sentiment against efforts to tackle these issues has been driven by anti-globalists and ultra right nationalists who resent the international cooperation needed. The most obvious manifestation of this sentiment is the often outright denial of even the existence of either or the efforts to downplay their seriousness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bojo said:

Is this an American thing, weapanised words and politicised by the far right?......................... I wasn't aware of this from a European/British perspective......................

Yes.

It arises primarily from the Free Trade doctrine established by NAFTA Bill Clinton and the propagandists hailing "globalism" as bringing prosperity to everybody in the world. I never heard the definition given here before, but that certainly is not what the word means in political discourse in America. It is not only criticized by the right. Critics on the left think the ideology tries to justify the great inequality of wealth brought about by de-industrializing the U.S. and outsourcing production to countries with low labor costs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bojo said:

Is this an American thing, weapanised words and politicised by the far right?......................... I wasn't aware of this from a European/British perspective......................

Yes.

I have never heard the definition given here, before. In American political the word is only positive to the center right group called "centrists," primarily fans of the Clintons. People on both the left and right denounce the attitude, The term gained currency after NAFTA Billy Clinton imposed the Republican agenda on the government and got legislation passed which greatly widened the inequality of wealth by making it legal to do things which had been illegal before, like outsourcing productive capacity to countries with lower labor costs and borrowing money to pay as dividends or stock buy-backs. Government propagandists had some success in the Clinton and early Bush years putting lipstick on this pig by claiming it would raise everybody's standard of living and the downsides were not really felt until the Great Recession. Since then a great many people have come to consider the movement a policy to de-industrialize America and reduce the former middle class to serfs who will own nothing and like it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It isn't true.

With a few exceptions, expats are disconnected and culturally-centric miserable curmudgeons. 

Far from what you might consider to be a globalist.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

With a few exceptions, expats are disconnected and culturally-centric miserable curmudgeons. 

Far from what you might consider to be a globalist.

Arguably people living in a faux western bubble here are more globalist than those that have somewhat assimilated. The former would be more dependent on international connectedness. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, LarrySR said:

The definition of Anti Fascist: A person that opposes Nazis, White Supremacy and Right Wing Extreemism.

Anti Fa disrupting .jpeg

Yet, the original definition of Fascism was/is akin to Corporatism. 

Somewhere along the road, we've attached identities that have little to do with the native meaning - and then go on to subliminally romance and accept the ideals of Corporatism..........which is commonly practiced the world over. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Arguably people living in a faux western bubble here are more globalist than those that have somewhat assimilated. The former would be more dependent on international connectedness. 

Embedded cultural delusions, past and presence, are a form of reality if you're surely blinded by it. 

Which is almost always the case throughout historic and contemporary Eurocentric thought. 

Nothing to be admired. 

13 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Wow.  That word really has become politicized by the far right.   Kinda like all the other school grade words they're throwing around. Seems to be a slur against jews also.  Insane.

We live in a global society.  So everyone, like it or not, is a globalist.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/03/the-origins-of-the-globalist-slur/555479/

Despite the seemingly joking use of the term “globalist” by Trump and Mulvaney, many were quick to point to the word’s unseemly past as an anti-Semitic slur, embraced in alt-right circles before spreading into broader political discourse. As the Anti-Defamation League’s Jonathan Greenblatt put it, “Where the term originates from is a reference to Jewish people who are seen as having allegiances not to their countries of origin like the United States, but to some global conspiracy.” Greenblatt said it’s “disturbing” when public officials “literally parrot this term which is rooted in prejudice.”

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/globalist

someone who believes that economic and foreign policy should be planned in an international way, rather than according to what is best for one particular country :
He is a globalist, whereas we are nationalists who will put our country first.
She is critical of the president's globalist foreign policy.

Tell me where you've seen the word 'globalist' used against jews. I think maybe you've got that wrong? 

5 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Embedded cultural delusions, past and presence, are a form of reality if you're surely blinded by it. 

Which is almost always the case throughout historic and contemporary Eurocentric thought. 

Nothing to be admired. 

I'm not applying such values to people experiencing such values either way.