Where to find Thailand Pass required insurance for Non-O holders over 80 years of age?

I have read conflicting news about the duration of the COVID insurance cover for those who are coming back with valid extension of stay and re-entry permit.  Some say it must cover the whole duration of your extension but in another news article quoted a MFA official saying 1 month cover is suffice.  If the insurance is meant for returnees who may bring back the virus, 2 weeks after arrival would be enough time for the virus to show up.  This is also valid for tourists who stay for more than a month.  Yes, one is free to pay for a longer duration (travel insurance) but what is the mandatory duration to meet the Thailand Pass requirement?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pattaya1234was said:

I have been looking as well!  MSIG Inbound Travel Insurance with Covid Cover seems to fit the bill. I got the information from Luma Insurance. Hope this helps.

What information?  Ok, went through Luma Insurance website.  Of course they will sell you more than than duration needed upon arrival in Thailand.  The question is will one month COVID insurance suffice for Thailand Pass application for those with long term extension of stay.

Edited by Kopitiam
Additional info

5 hours ago, Enzian said:

Has anyone over 80 here (I will be 82 in the period I want to insure) found Test and Go required insurance for that age group, purchased it, submitted it to Thailand Pass,  had it accepted, and received approval and QR code for their entry? Who sells such insurance?

online TGIA Covid 19 insurance up to 99 yo. covers period of stay ie visa exempt 30 days. Thailand Pass QR Code approved on this basis for 81 yo. will apply for non o retirement visa if general insurance not required whilst on visa exempt - may even extend.    

12 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

These are COVID only policies.

It appears that COVID-only cover is not acceptable anymore. I have not read of anyone being accepted with it.

OP - Google "travel insurance for seniors" and name of your country. There are travel policies that will cover at your age.

Since when has the COVID insurance morphed into travel insurance that include COVID for Thailand Pass application?

• Confused 1

Just now, Bvor said:

my 81 yo friends thailand pass QR Code was issued last thursday for 1/12 arrival. tgia covid 19 insurance was the only cover submitted. MFA have indicated that either general insurance (see Chris.B documentation item 2 above) or covid 19 insurance (pattaya mail article re MFA addendum) is acceptable for thailand pass. please don't ask me to explain the logic..  

Thanks, good to know as that is the first I have heard of anyone doing this.

I doubt logic enters into it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bvor said:

my 81 yo friends thailand pass QR Code was issued last thursday for 1/12 arrival. tgia covid 19 insurance was the only cover submitted. MFA have indicated that either general insurance (see Chris.B documentation item 2 above) or covid 19 insurance (pattaya mail article re MFA addendum) is acceptable for thailand pass. please don't ask me to explain the logic..  

What was the duration of the insurance cover to get the Thailand Pass?

4 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Since when has the COVID insurance morphed into travel insurance that include COVID for Thailand Pass application?

Since the start of Thailand Pass and phasing out of COE. The Thailand Pass requirement requirement is for health insurance in general, and 50,000 not 100,000.

However at least one poster has now reporting someone getting in using a COVID-only policy. Whether or not that was intended or just slipped through the cracks, who knows.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kopitiam said:

What was the duration of the insurance cover to get the Thailand Pass?

as i understand it, the duration is for the period of your stay. applicant will enter on visa exempt so 30 days stay was submitted for the thailand pass.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks, good to know as that is the first I have heard of anyone doing this.

as my friend wasn't going to pay for 81 yo general health insurance and on the back of the two MFA statements in my previous post, i tested the waters that for the thailand pass TGIA covid 19 alone would be ok.   

39 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I am not actually sure it IS okay as does nto seem to be what the requirements state. But people seem to be getting by with just about any sort of insurance certificate, I don't think anyone is currently checking or understands what they arev looking at in policies.

This is typical of Thailand.  No one knows exactly what is required.  I have not read any details what exactly is being checked on arrival in Thailand.  There are several government parties involved and Immigration is the last one to stamp you in for whatever visa status you have.  I reckon once you have received your QR code, you are good to go.  On arrival, you show the same document again.  Does any officer check the duration of the insurance cover (given that everyone will have minimum US$50,000 cover)?

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

This is typical of Thailand.  No one knows exactly what is required.  I have not read any details what exactly is being checked on arrival in Thailand.  There are several government parties involved and Immigration is the last one to stamp you in for whatever visa status you have.  I reckon once you have received your QR code, you are good to go.  On arrival, you show the same document again.  Does any officer check the duration of the insurance cover (given that everyone will have minimum US$50,000 cover)?

No idea...But some people seem to have reported getting in with duration of coverage less than the period stamped in for

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I am not actually sure it IS okay as does nto seem to be what the requirements state. But people seem to be getting by with just about any sort of insurance certificate, I don't think anyone is currently checking or understands what they arev looking at in policies.

i have attached herewith the MFA info that led me to believe that the online TGIA covid 19 insurance cover would alone get my friend thru. make of it what you will - my friend has his thailand pass covid QR Code so that suggests its ok IMHO. the MFA would look more than the usual silly (LOL) if they flip flop again and its not ok thereby invalidating the TP QR Code that has been issued.     

MFA tp insurance (4).png

MFA TP insurance (5).png

MFA TP insurance (6).png

• Like 1

That MFA Q&A is not at all clear. It says that one can use one's regular policy but it does nto explicitly say that a COVID only policy is acceptable, and indeed language elsewhere suggests not. But if people are getting their QR code with it, that's fine.

• Like 1

Clear as mud.  If I am not wrong, those insurance required for Non-OA visa are of the 40k/400k Baht type.  Nothing close to the US$50,000 required for entry to Thailand currently mandated.  It seems that it doesn't matter whether it is COVID specific or medical insurance with COVID coverage both will be accepted. The main issue in most people's mind is the duration of coverage for COVID to enter Thailand.

• Sad 1

Thanks and I hope y'all keep contributing to this thread--any new statements by the government or personal experiences and knowledge.

Regarding duration, in my case my reentry permit is good to 14 days after arrival (I'm hoping to renew my current extension and not let it expire and start all over next year), so it's clear I only need 30 days insurance (or even shorter travel insurance) since they can't ask for more than the time one will be stamped in for. 

If anyone hears of someone's application being rejected for having "Covid only" insurance, please share, even if anecdotal. For now I will play it safe and try to find general plus Covid for my age. Thanks all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As usual, everything is a bit of a mess when new rules come out.

Imm. should actually list out the details like duration required, type of health insurance coverage (must it cover Covid?),  the list of approved insurance companies in Thailand etc.

This is more like a guessing game.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bvor said:

as my friend wasn't going to pay for 81 yo general health insurance and on the back of the two MFA statements in my previous post, i tested the waters that for the thailand pass TGIA covid 19 alone would be ok.   

How did you "test the waters" without actually buying Covid insurance that might be rejected by TP, a policy which in that case might not be refundable?

7 minutes ago, EricTh said:

As usual, everything is a bit of a mess when new rules come out.

Imm. should actually list out the details like duration required, type of health insurance coverage (must it cover Covid?),  the list of approved insurance companies in Thailand etc.

This is more like a guessing game.

Thai Immigration is not the one making the Thailand Pass policy.  Its MFA and Ministry of Public Health who set the entry requirement.  Yes, the requirement should be clearer.  But heh, TIT.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Since the start of Thailand Pass and phasing out of COE. The Thailand Pass requirement requirement is for health insurance in general, and 50,000 not 100,000.

However at least one poster has now reporting someone getting in using a COVID-only policy. Whether or not that was intended or just slipped through the cracks, who knows.

This poster from the Department of Consular Affairs seems to be quite clear. It states "COVID-19 insurance with minimum coverage of 50,000 USD".

one.jpg?1636542297

two.jpg?1636542301

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, flbkk said:

I've seen this before, and it said "Covid only".  Also, it says at the top "The insurance must cover travel, as well as Covid-19", Which is inconsistent I believe, and I'm not sure it said that before.  Running it one more time for the hell of it, at the end it says "Corona Virus Plan 30 days". It also uses the old $100,000 figure. I think this is Covid only and not general including Covid. If anyone finds that I am wrong, please post. That said, it may get through the automated system for some people as Sheryl has noted.

Edited by Enzian
major correction