Where to find Thailand Pass required insurance for Non-O holders over 80 years of age?

12 minutes ago, WayneJ said:

From Richard Barrow’s “Letters from Thailand…”

“For a start, it doesn’t seem to be written down anywhere that you need to have special insurance to cover you for the time you will be in Thailand if you are on a long-term visa. It was just implied by some embassies. I asked the director general about this, and he said a 30-day policy would be plenty. After all, if you test positive, you will only need to do 10 days in a hospital and a possible 14 day quarantine afterwards. So, a 30-day policy would cover you.”

Has this, the term of any required $50k COVID-19 insurance policy, been verified or clarified?

I think most were under the impression that this insurance must run through your permission to stay date.

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

That MFA Q&A is not at all clear. It says that one can use one's regular policy but it does nto explicitly say that a COVID only policy is acceptable, and indeed language elsewhere suggests not. But if people are getting their QR code with it, that's fine.

I have asked the direct questions of MSIG insurance and have been told, "their covid only insurance (US$100,000 cover) definitely meets the Thai Pass requirement" . However the period of cover ( does it need to be till end of visa, end of "O" extension) was left unclear, they offer 3 months or one year. The recommend one year if 3 months is insufficient time.

10 hours ago, Enzian said:

How did you "test the waters" without actually buying Covid insurance that might be rejected by TP, a policy which in that case might not be refundable?

"test the waters" was my description maybe misused. anyway the TGIA Covid Insurance was purchased and the certificate of insurance uploaded to my friends TP application which was accepted. i backed my interpretation of varying MFA statements and if rejected i would wear any non refundable policy as policy was cheap for oz resident. i intend to do the same for my own TP visa exempt entry in Feb. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Enzian said:

I've seen this before, and it said "Covid only".  Also, it says at the top "The insurance must cover travel, as well as Covid-19", Which is inconsistent I believe, and I'm not sure it said that before.  Running it one more time for the hell of it, at the end it says "Corona Virus Plan 30 days". It also uses the old $100,000 figure. I think this is Covid only and not general including Covid. If anyone finds that I am wrong, please post. That said, it may get through the automated system for some people as Sheryl has noted.

From the link above, at the bottom of the page:

"AQ.in.th is NOT an official government website of the Thailand, we are only an Online Travel Agent."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bvor said:

i have attached herewith the MFA info that led me to believe that the online TGIA covid 19 insurance cover would alone get my friend thru. make of it what you will - my friend has his thailand pass covid QR Code so that suggests its ok IMHO. the MFA would look more than the usual silly (LOL) if they flip flop again and its not ok thereby invalidating the TP QR Code that has been issued.     

MFA tp insurance (4).png

MFA TP insurance (5).png

MFA TP insurance (6).png

So according to question 2 and the addendum it can be covid 19 insurance or general health insurance ? do you agree ? cos that is a game changer for the seniors .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

I have read conflicting news about the duration of the COVID insurance cover for those who are coming back with valid extension of stay and re-entry permit.  Some say it must cover the whole duration of your extension but in another news article quoted a MFA official saying 1 month cover is suffice.  If the insurance is meant for returnees who may bring back the virus, 2 weeks after arrival would be enough time for the virus to show up.  This is also valid for tourists who stay for more than a month.  Yes, one is free to pay for a longer duration (travel insurance) but what is the mandatory duration to meet the Thailand Pass requirement?

Yes, by the day and getting more confusing and no way travelling out of Thailand as the risk of getting stranded for myself and many families not on and there is still quarantine in place which so many simply can not afford.

46 minutes ago, superal said:

So according to question 2 and the addendum it can be covid 19 insurance or general health insurance ? do you agree ? cos that is a game changer for the seniors .

It appears to say either insurance is acceptable.

• Thanks 1

Sorry to repeat other posts but to get in using Thailand pass

You must have “"COVID-19 insurance with minimum coverage of 50,000 USD". ONLY

nothing else is required for insurance, nothing else, no matter what type of visa you hold

you only need to have “COVID-19 insurance with minimum coverage of 50,000 USD”

Thailand Pass doesn’t ask for your visa type, status or length, so in theory you can buy “"COVID-19 insurance with minimum coverage of 50,000 USD” for approx. 14-30 days and get into the country, once in the country you can stay longer

Frankly there is total confusion as to the insurance requirement including among government personnel and Embassies.

What government policy makers intended and what is being implemented may differ - often does.

I think all we can by is people's experiences getting the pass. So far I have not heard of any policy being refused.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Enzian said:

So we can assume that nothing of the 14% rejection rate is due to "wrong insurance"? Could well be, let's see.

Maybe I  missed it, but I did nto see anyone report that. People have reported other reasons but I have not seen that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Enzian said:

So we can assume that nothing of the 14% rejection rate is due to "wrong insurance"? Could well be, let's see.

i read on another forum that a guy made two identical TP applications with his two passport no's (being a dual citizen). he received a QR Code for app'n A but had app'n B refused on insurance query.

TIT!   

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Bvor said:

i read on another forum that a guy made two identical TP applications with his two passport no's (being a dual citizen). he received a QR Code for app'n A but had app'n B refused on insurance query.

TIT!   

Could it be that the insurance paperwork included his passport number, therefore it would not match on one of the applications?

5 minutes ago, Scott424 said:

Could it be that the insurance paperwork included his passport number, therefore it would not match on one of the applications?

maybe.

i don't have any further info, but surely not possible if certificate of ins has no reference to passport no as is the case with TGIA. don't know about others.

whether the MFA PT "system" has efficient cross referencing programmes is also questionable. 

1 hour ago, Bvor said:

TIT!   

You didn't say what the insurance query was so this proves nothing.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ray richards said:

Best to be safe, health insurance including Covid cover for period of stay £250, but I declared medical ailments so I had to pay the extra costs, AXA insurance.

I am 76 yrs old staying for 3 months, got the pass ok.

Axa says:

o Age: 1- 74 year upon the policy start date

https://www.axa.co.th/en/axa-sawasdee-thailand-travel-insurance

So if you are 76 years old how did you get it?

On 11/15/2021 at 1:25 PM, Chris.B said:

DOCUMENTATION

1. I am an expat living and working in Thailand, do I have to submit an insurance policy document?

- Yes

- Expats living and working in Thailand under a valid visa or residential permit are required to provide proof of insurance coverage in Thailand with a minimum coverage of 50,000 USD or a valid social security card or certified letter from their employer.

- Thai nationals are not required to provide proof of insurance coverage as they are covered by Thailand’s Universal Health Coverage (UHC) scheme.

2. Does my insurance have to be a COVID-19 insurance in order to register with Thailand Pass?

- No. You can also use general insurance or health insurance with a minimum coverage of 50,000 USD.

image.png.e892f351e7dc1e6c6c24ffa6bd38bf3a.png

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/content/thailand-pass-faqs

Like many others, I am somewhat confused by the requirements requested by the Thai Govt for entering Thailand.

I know there will be many different circumstances to suit various travellers, but unfortunately I have not found any detailed information to fit my situation, and I would think that many others would have similar concerns.

I entered Thailand on an OA visa 13 years ago....the visa was obtained in Sydney.

I have extended my visa every year since then on a 'retirement' basis.

A few years ago I decided to change my reason for extension to 'marriage', as I finally formalised my marriage to my Thai wife.

Because of this circumstance, I do not need to have any medical insurance.

I believe that I am able to take care of any medical issues that may arise here....as I have so far.

The main issue is that I cannot find an answer to is, if I return to Australia for a few weeks with a Thai reentry permit, what am I required to do on return to Thailand..??

Do I need the $50,000 Covid insurance..??....and if so, what period do I need it to cover..??

I note that in question 1 in the above 'I am an expat living and working in Thailand' it states that insurance is required.....but does this only refer to people 'living AND working'...??.....I am retired and not working.

As I mentioned earlier, I am sure that there would be many others with similar circumstances that would like to be clear on our obligations.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.....thanks in advance.

17 minutes ago, oldtrafford said:

Like many others, I am somewhat confused by the requirements requested by the Thai Govt for entering Thailand.

I know there will be many different circumstances to suit various travellers, but unfortunately I have not found any detailed information to fit my situation, and I would think that many others would have similar concerns.

I entered Thailand on an OA visa 13 years ago....the visa was obtained in Sydney.

I have extended my visa every year since then on a 'retirement' basis.

A few years ago I decided to change my reason for extension to 'marriage', as I finally formalised my marriage to my Thai wife.

Because of this circumstance, I do not need to have any medical insurance.

I believe that I am able to take care of any medical issues that may arise here....as I have so far.

The main issue is that I cannot find an answer to is, if I return to Australia for a few weeks with a Thai reentry permit, what am I required to do on return to Thailand..??

Do I need the $50,000 Covid insurance..??....and if so, what period do I need it to cover..??

I note that in question 1 in the above 'I am an expat living and working in Thailand' it states that insurance is required.....but does this only refer to people 'living AND working'...??.....I am retired and not working.

As I mentioned earlier, I am sure that there would be many others with similar circumstances that would like to be clear on our obligations.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.....thanks in advance.

You will need Covid-19 insurance to 50,000 USD cover, minimum 30 days.

Chris B.

Tell your friends to deal with JUST TRAVEL COVER U.K.

You get instant quotes, all quotes from this agent are Covid & medical from £5,000,000 including Covid cover verification certificate.

Very easy & straightforward, call them if not sure.

I uploaded 3 page documents for Thailand Pass & accepted.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ray richards said:

Chris B.

Tell your friends to deal with JUST TRAVEL COVER U.K.

You get instant quotes, all quotes from this agent are Covid & medical from £5,000,000 including Covid cover verification certificate.

Very easy & straightforward, call them if not sure.

I uploaded 3 page documents for Thailand Pass & accepted.

but before anyone gets excited, these sorts of policies normal require a UK address, be registered with a UK doctor and be resident in the UK. They also have a whole list of illnesses you must declare "If you have a medical condition, no matter how minor it may seem, you need to make sure it is declared ".

It is by no means certain you will be offered a quote based on your medical condition.

Edited by Chris.B

Yeh possibly aimed at tourists STV , Tourist Visa etc.

No need to worry too much, I declared medical conditions for cancer, heart problem, high cholesterol, taking medicines for these items along with 76 yrs old. 

£ 535 for 90 days.

£ 250 if no medical declarations.

Really good value.

The general frustration in this thread (as well as others) is palpable. It is not a question of the Government's left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing; the left hand does not know it has a right hand.

This insurance issue has been bubbling for over 2 weeks and it is about time the Government gave a definitive answer.

I can dream can't I. 

Edited by CRUNCHER
  • Like 1