Thailand Road Carnage: Media highlights perils of drink driving as year death toll tops 11,000

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that another twenty fatalities were added to the 2021 death toll from road accidents on Sunday. 

It's low as there are often delays in reporting weekend figures. 

The total for the year now stands at 11,106 but these are just those that have died at the scene.

Fatalities on the way to and in hospitals make the true figures much higher - probably around 25,000 a year, one of the worst per capita in the world, notes ASEAN NOW.

In the first 14 days of November 538 people have died.

Thai media Daily News highlight the damning stats every day and yesterday they raised the perennial problem of drink driving on the nation's roads. Though they gave no evidence as to why they highlighted this.

The accident they reported yesterday was a collision of a man on a motorcycle and an Isuzu Swift leading up to one of the tunnels on Rachadapisek inbound in Bangkok.

The man was thrown clear and survived but the motorcycle was dragged and burst into flames.

Fire services and Ruamkathanyu rescue attended and saw the man named as Suthep, 45, to hospital. 

The at the scene death toll for each year:

2019   14,907

2020   14,825

2021 so far 11,106

In the same period last year up to November 14th  there were 12,425 deaths.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-11-16

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 4

You can keep highlighting the perils of driving in Thailand to your hearts content but at the end of the day actions speak louder than words.

And that is were this government falls flat, they are just too afraid of upsetting the applecart.

Edited by Dmaxdan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

You can keep highlighting the perils of driving in Thailand to your hearts content but at the end of the day actions speak louder than words.

And that is were this government falls flat, they are just too afraid of upsetting the applecart.

It keeps the temples happy  bringing in money . I supose... Keeps many people in work too..fire service ambulance. Insurance.police.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

But pubs, bars and entertainment places are all closed!

Perhaps they are not the problem after all?

They contribute to the problem, but they're not the root cause. People will get their fill, whatever it takes and wherever.

Drink/driving is still not viewed by many as a serious crime, which it should be.

I have seen people on here confess to regularly drinking and driving and seem to think nothing of it.

It is potentially manslaughter and the penalties should reflect that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Still hiding behind Drunk driving, sure it's part of the problem .

but its not all of the problem,

Correct, add in drugs, medication, tiredness, speeding, not paying attention... and then just no real driver training.

Will it ever change... hasn't over the last 6 years so very doubtful.

Government is not interested, Thai people are happy with the ease of getting a licence.

Penalties are almost a joke.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Orinoco said:

but its not all of the problem,  for the high death toll on the roads of Thailand.

Selfishness, Entitlement, Face, and just dam right bad behavior are some of the causes.

and some.

Also a useless police force in regards to road safety. ( they are some of the offenders as well )

No one cares ,  TIT

A good start would be to get Thais to have driving lessons and pass the test,  instead of just paying a few hundred baht for an "under the counter" licence.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Correct, add in drugs, medication, tiredness, speeding, not paying attention... and then just no real driver training.

Will it ever change... hasn't over the last 6 years so very doubtful.

Government is not interested, Thai people are happy with the ease of getting a licence.

Penalties are almost a joke.

It can't be changed. Far too late. I've posted this before, so if you've seen it already then pass on to the next post. For those who haven't read it, this is why it can't be changed.

There are many reasons Thais drive as they do.

1 - I have never detected any sign of common sense in a Thai, and I've been living here for over 25 years. I am not sure how you teach that, but anyway there is no movement to do so.

2 - The Thais have a Me First mentality that is deeply ingrained, and that is the last thing you want to see in a driver.

3 - The education system demands that you do not think for yourself but listen and obey, so Thais do not develop the necessary skills to actually think. That may result in my first point above.

4 - Learning to drive in a proper and responsible manner is quite difficult, and Thais do not do difficult. Thais do 'near enough', but on the roads that isn't 'good enough'. One mistake can cost lives, so being lucky enough to get it right most of the time isn't good enough either.

5 - They have absolutely no concept that the vehicle they are attempting to operate is a potential killer. No concept at all.

6 - Along with inadequate teaching of all things about how to drive properly and safely, there is no test to determine if you have reached a standard where you are not a danger to yourself and others before you take to the road.

7 - Thais do not seem able to join the dots, and realise that if, for example, they drive at 120 kms an hour five metres behind the vehicle in front, or drive at night with no rear light (or front light if they are driving on the wrong side of the road because they have no concept of the danger), then they would have no time to react if the vehicle in front brakes suddenly. Ask any Thai what their safe braking distance is and they would have no idea.

8 - There are zero police patrols to help prevent accidents by pulling aside selfish and stupid drivers. Their only presence is setting up road blocks which seems in my experience to have only one purpose - to check your tax disc is in the window and up to date.

9 - Police have absolutely no interest in enforcing the law even when they are static beside the road, watching kids three or four on a bike go by with no helmet, no license, no ability to properly control the bike they are on. And that goes also for the parents and schools who allow Thailand's future to play Russian Roulette every time they go out. The police know they get paid anyway, so why work?

10 - The government does nothing to resolve the road death/accident toll as nothing practically can be done. The problem began decades ago when Thais first began to drive in numbers. No meaningful test was introduced and enforced, and now it is far, far too late. It would mean retraining every driver (and who would do that - it would be similar to those who teach English not being able to speak the language themselves). And it would mean the drivers having to take a proper western-style test before gaining a license. And it would mean police patrols to catch those who drive as if they are playing a video game. Now, anyone can drive as they like and put themselves and others in danger as they know they have zero chance of being caught. They can drive that way with total impunity. And it would require said (non-existent) police to actually enforce the law. And not one of those things is possible in Thailand.

And that is why the government does absolutely nothing to address the problem, as it is out of control and without a fundamental change in the whole of Thai society and culture it cannot be remedied. The government knows that but can't say it.

To finish, nothing can or will change and survival on Thai roads will continue to be a lottery. All we can do is remember the words that were used in the 70s police drama Hill Street Blues as the force were sent out on patrol - 'Let's be careful out there'.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 2

Remarkable that even with lockdowns, travel restrictions and alcohol sale bans, the Thais still manage to slaughter just as many people on their roads as without these adversities put in their place.

I started driving the same year as breathalysers were introduced. At that time, going to the pub and having a few beers before driving home was normal. It took about 15 years for there to be a change in public attitude from 'its just one for the road' to 'no thanks, don't want to get banned' - mostly done through shocking tv and poster campaigns and strict enforcement. Of course, nowadays these campaigns now seem tame and it is almost impossible to shock a nation so Thailand will probably never change. To have any effect the public attitude needs to change and be backed up with strict enforcement and punishment. Fat chance of that ever happening.

11 hours ago, Orinoco said:

but its not all of the problem,  for the high death toll on the roads of Thailand.

Selfishness, Entitlement, Face, and just dam right bad behavior are some of the causes.

and some.

Also a useless police force in regards to road safety. ( they are some of the offenders as well )

No one cares ,  TIT

That’s the point, no one cares.

I have a theory about Thai driving attitudes.  I taught my missus to drive at the age of 30. She'd never driven a car and strangely couldn't even ride a scooter.

She is now an excellent driver as a 5 foot nothing driving a Toyota Revo. Quick to spot issues requiring change in speed direction, lane changes etc., takes bends at speed and stays in the lane, indicates correctly, even raises the middle finger at road idiots (knowing they can't see her through the dark glass). In summary I find her more safe and competent a driver in Thailand than many Farang I know.

When I take her to NZ she only drove once briefly and then point blank refused.  Her explanation was basically that she was as scared as hell because everything was so formal and structured that she felt she was unable to drive safely and actually believed the NZ roads and drivers were more dangerous than Thailand.

I probably didn't help by pushing my invisible brake pedal and clenching my buttocks frequently - not because she was driving badly for the road conditions she was familiar with, but because she was driving as though the Thai "rules" prevailed and the obnoxious territorial Kiwi drivers were not very adaptive to her style.

She further clarified - having to always watch the speedo, not able to take obvious advantages of lane splitting and gaps in traffic that "made sense" but were prohibited, traffic lights that had to be obeyed, and you can imagine the rest.

So in short, I think Thais just in general have a problem with what I would call order and structure.  Their adaptiveness to the SE Asian vagaries of life, money, the lottery, the government, political chaos, familial chaos, bureaucratic disorder, police corruption, flooding. ad infinitum, and this seems to spread to their driving and general laissez faire attitudes.

They believe rules and regulations that govern their life from bureaucrats, the police, government etc are transient, changeable, corrupt and variable, are forever changing and therefore not real, or only real until they change.

If you take this attitude towards driving, the results are probably to be expected. Thai society is structured in general for the survival of the fittest,  The road carnage simply highlights this.

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It can't be changed. Far too late. I've posted this before, so if you've seen it already then pass on to the next post. For those who haven't read it, this is why it can't be changed.

There are many reasons Thais drive as they do.

1 - I have never detected any sign of common sense in a Thai, and I've been living here for over 25 years. I am not sure how you teach that, but anyway there is no movement to do so.

2 - The Thais have a Me First mentality that is deeply ingrained, and that is the last thing you want to see in a driver.

3 - The education system demands that you do not think for yourself but listen and obey, so Thais do not develop the necessary skills to actually think. That may result in my first point above.

4 - Learning to drive in a proper and responsible manner is quite difficult, and Thais do not do difficult. Thais do 'near enough', but on the roads that isn't 'good enough'. One mistake can cost lives, so being lucky enough to get it right most of the time isn't good enough either.

5 - They have absolutely no concept that the vehicle they are attempting to operate is a potential killer. No concept at all.

6 - Along with inadequate teaching of all things about how to drive properly and safely, there is no test to determine if you have reached a standard where you are not a danger to yourself and others before you take to the road.

7 - Thais do not seem able to join the dots, and realise that if, for example, they drive at 120 kms an hour five metres behind the vehicle in front, or drive at night with no rear light (or front light if they are driving on the wrong side of the road because they have no concept of the danger), then they would have no time to react if the vehicle in front brakes suddenly. Ask any Thai what their safe braking distance is and they would have no idea.

8 - There are zero police patrols to help prevent accidents by pulling aside selfish and stupid drivers. Their only presence is setting up road blocks which seems in my experience to have only one purpose - to check your tax disc is in the window and up to date.

9 - Police have absolutely no interest in enforcing the law even when they are static beside the road, watching kids three or four on a bike go by with no helmet, no license, no ability to properly control the bike they are on. And that goes also for the parents and schools who allow Thailand's future to play Russian Roulette every time they go out. The police know they get paid anyway, so why work?

10 - The government does nothing to resolve the road death/accident toll as nothing practically can be done. The problem began decades ago when Thais first began to drive in numbers. No meaningful test was introduced and enforced, and now it is far, far too late. It would mean retraining every driver (and who would do that - it would be similar to those who teach English not being able to speak the language themselves). And it would mean the drivers having to take a proper western-style test before gaining a license. And it would mean police patrols to catch those who drive as if they are playing a video game. Now, anyone can drive as they like and put themselves and others in danger as they know they have zero chance of being caught. They can drive that way with total impunity. And it would require said (non-existent) police to actually enforce the law. And not one of those things is possible in Thailand.

And that is why the government does absolutely nothing to address the problem, as it is out of control and without a fundamental change in the whole of Thai society and culture it cannot be remedied. The government knows that but can't say it.

To finish, nothing can or will change and survival on Thai roads will continue to be a lottery. All we can do is remember the words that were used in the 70s police drama Hill Street Blues as the force were sent out on patrol - 'Let's be careful out there'.

"Ask any Thai what their safe braking distance is and they would have no idea". Ask me the same thing and I have no idea either. Safe braking distance varies according to the weather, road conditions, traffic conditions etc.

Not doing a stupid wee sum in your head trying to calculate the distance between yourself, your speed and the vehicle in front of you.

4 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

I have a theory about Thai driving attitudes.  I taught my missus to drive at the age of 30. She'd never driven a car and strangely couldn't even ride a scooter.

She is now an excellent driver as a 5 foot nothing driving a Toyota Revo. Quick to spot issues requiring change in speed direction, lane changes etc., takes bends at speed and stays in the lane, indicates correctly, even raises the middle finger at road idiots (knowing they can't see her through the dark glass). In summary I find her more safe and competent a driver in Thailand than many Farang I know.

When I take her to NZ she only drove once briefly and then point blank refused.  Her explanation was basically that she was as scared as hell because everything was so formal and structured that she felt she was unable to drive safely and actually believed the NZ roads and drivers were more dangerous than Thailand.

I probably didn't help by pushing my invisible brake pedal and clenching my buttocks frequently - not because she was driving badly for the road conditions she was familiar with, but because she was driving as though the Thai "rules" prevailed and the obnoxious territorial Kiwi drivers were not very adaptive to her style.

She further clarified - having to always watch the speedo, not able to take obvious advantages of lane splitting and gaps in traffic that "made sense" but were prohibited, traffic lights that had to be obeyed, and you can imagine the rest.

So in short, I think Thais just in general have a problem with what I would call order and structure.  Their adaptiveness to the SE Asian vagaries of life, money, the lottery, the government, political chaos, familial chaos, bureaucratic disorder, police corruption, flooding. ad infinitum, and this seems to spread to their driving and general laissez faire attitudes.

They believe rules and regulations that govern their life from bureaucrats, the police, government etc are transient, changeable, corrupt and variable, are forever changing and therefore not real, or only real until they change.

If you take this attitude towards driving, the results are probably to be expected. Thai society is structured in general for the survival of the fittest,  The road carnage simply highlights this.

Have you considered,  if you were not in the car with her, she may behave differently.

Thais don't like going against the Teacher.

TIT.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Have you considered,  if you were not in the car with her, she may behave differently.

Thais don't like going against the Teacher.

TIT.

My daughter assures me her mother drives more like me when I'm not in the car.  Not sure if that's a compliment or not.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Learning to drive properly in Thailand isn't that hard at all, depending on whether you have access to a driving school.  My wife had eight lessons in Chiang Mai and passed first time.  The test itself is a joke compared to most countries but at least she learnt the basics.  Initially I stupidly tried to teach her myself but that lesson lasted less than twenty minutes and ended with her getting out of the car, slamming the door and not speaking to me for a week!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Learning to drive properly in Thailand isn't that hard at all, depending on whether you have access to a driving school. 

The problem is that many Thais would not want to 'waste' money learning from a professional. How many driving school cars do you see around? My wife also took lessons (not easy to find outside of the big towns and cities, but we were living in Bangkok at the time) and she's a pretty near perfect driver. Actually puzzles me how good she is. I would never have dared to try teaching her myself. That way lies pain, anguish, no dinner and a cold bed. As you are well aware ????