Covid re-entry insurance duration with retirmen visa.

So: my re-entry permit (I'm Non-O) ends 14 days after I enter in Dec. (assuming I get the Pass!) and I'm thinking of flying out again around the end of March. I've bought 30 days insurance. To answer that question on page 1 of the TP application about expected stay I can say 14 days/two weeks, or 3 1/2 months. But I should say two weeks even though it's absurd in that part of the reason I'm returning in Dec. is to renew my Non-O. Yes?

13 minutes ago, Enzian said:

So: my re-entry permit (I'm Non-O) ends 14 days after I enter in Dec. (assuming I get the Pass!) and I'm thinking of flying out again around the end of March. I've bought 30 days insurance. To answer that question on page 1 of the TP application about expected stay I can say 14 days/two weeks, or 3 1/2 months. But I should say two weeks even though it's absurd in that part of the reason I'm returning in Dec. is to renew my Non-O. Yes?

Yes, you should, or they want you to buy 3.5 months of insurance.

1 hour ago, Tony M said:

According to the British Embassy, it is a question for the MFA to answer.

No, it's not.

The question would have to be answered by immigration, because what we don't know for certain is how IOs handle it if the duration of the insurance is shorter than the remaining period of stay on a re-entry permit.

Will IOs stamp in people always for the full duration (that's how it looks right now according to reports, but we don't have many), or might IOs stamp people in only as long as the insurance is valid?

Good luck getting a straight answer out of immigration...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So what period of insurance will I require for reentry into Thailand with 11 months validity on my reentry permit.

BTW that interpretation you referred to by a some posters was also how uj viewed it.

With due respect to the honourable uj, but uj is not the authority in this matter.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, gearbox said:

I have 7 months travel insurance, up to the date on my reentry permit, but the IO didn't seem to pay much attention to the insurance papers, just stamped me to the end of my reentry permit. This was a week ago. Bear in mind that there are no clear rules, and different IOs may have different interpretations.

I didn't really care much, as I wanted to have proper insurance anyway.

Immigration officer stamping you in will not check your insurance duration.  All this is checked by people before your reach the immigration counter.  IO will stamp you in based on your type of visa or re-entry permit.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I'm an O visa holder and got insurance for 21 days.  The duration of my stay.  Even though my visa is valid until next March.  No problems.  Though they did question this before issuing the approval.

Did the IO stamp you in until next March?

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

No, it's not.

The question would have to be answered by immigration, because what we don't know for certain is how IOs handle it if the duration of the insurance is shorter than the remaining period of stay on a re-entry permit.

Will IOs stamp in people always for the full duration (that's how it looks right now according to reports, but we don't have many), or might IOs stamp people in only as long as the insurance is valid?

Good luck getting a straight answer out of immigration...

You might be right. Hopefully, the MFA will clarify it when the British Embassy meets with the MFA this week. However, I don't think immigration make (official) policy, even though they do whatever they want to do.

29 minutes ago, Tony M said:

You might be right. Hopefully, the MFA will clarify it when the British Embassy meets with the MFA this week. However, I don't think immigration make (official) policy, even though they do whatever they want to do.

People still don't get it.  This insurance requirement for Thailand Pass is not a Immigration policy.  It's a requirement by MFA and the Ministry of Public Health.  Immigration is not bordered whether you are vaccinated or not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

People still don't get it.  This insurance requirement for Thailand Pass is not a Immigration policy.  It's a requirement by MFA and the Ministry of Public Health.  Immigration is not bordered whether you are vaccinated or not.

What's the minimum period that insurance is sold for.

I have read of 14 day insurance. Think @PoorSucker purchased that (not sure) 

I ask since I will purchase the minimum and be stamped in for 11 months as per my reentry permit.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I ask since I will purchase the minimum and be stamped in for 11 months as per my reentry permit.

Can confirm, but this was for the 14 days sandbox a couple of months ago, I also needed a ticket out after 14 days.

Got stamped in for 90 days as per my non-B visa.

Edited by PoorSucker

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I was replying to who set the insurance requirement for the Thailand Pass and it is not Immigration.

1 minute ago, PoorSucker said:

Can confirm, but this was for the 14 days sandbox a couple of months ago, I also needed a ticket out after 14 days.

Got stamped in for 90 days as per my non-B visa.

You can see where I'm going with this. If you were going to be stamped in for a year (eg you had valid non O-A) they clearly you would opt for shortest available insurance policy and in addition a throw away onward flight or a "rent a ticket" option

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

I was replying to who set the insurance requirement for the Thailand Pass and it is not Immigration.

Don't care who set the insurance requirements. 

I was asking if you knew the minimum length available for an insurance policy. 

Edited by DrJack54

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't care who set the insurance requirements. 

I was asking if you knew the minimum length available for an insurance policy. 

If I tell you, will you believe me?  Even the honourable uj can't give you a correct answer.

Nevertheless, this is my view from all the postings I have read.

1) 30 days medical insurance (including COVID) seems to be enough.

2) You can have shorter insurance period but have to show return flight ticket.

3) You can buy insurance to cover you until the date Immigration allow you to stay.  No harm and you are covered.

I can accept you may have a different view as mine.  If you can wait, I will be going overseas in January 2022 and come back in March.  Will purchase a 30 day insurance (if nothing changes by then) and enter on a re-entry permit valid for September 2022.

Edited by Kopitiam
amendment
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

30 days medical insurance (including COVID) seems to be enough.

If that turns out to be the case then I will choose this one.

And Thai cannot see these basic questions when they put in place such things as TP and insurance rules. Kindergarten cops.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If that turns out to be the case then I will choose this one.

And Thai cannot see these basic questions when they put in place such things as TP and insurance rules. Kindergarten cops.

It's a no brainer.  Too many cooks involved.  And sometime, "we" try to be too smart by second guessing.

Edited by Kopitiam
amendment

3 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

This has already been posted elsewhere, it's from a meeting between R. Barrow

Yes thanks for that.

I read the article from Mr Barrow and the 30 day period of insurance seemed sensible option.

Would be nice if announced and set as officially that 30 day cover would be acceptable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Same here. I arrived on 4th November and will depart on 10th December. I got insurance for only this duration. My extension of stay (retirement) expires on 4th May 2022. I was expecting to only be stamped in to expiry date of insurance but was given permitted stay right up to expiry of visa extension. I'm sure I read somewhere that they now only want insurance valid for at least 30 days.

5 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that they now only want insurance valid for at least 30 days.

Be careful here "at least 30 days" can mean a lot of things!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

If I tell you, will you believe me?  Even the honourable uj can't give you a correct answer.

Nevertheless, this is my view from all the postings I have read.

1) 30 days medical insurance (including COVID) seems to be enough.

2) You can have shorter insurance period but have to show return flight ticket.

3) You can buy insurance to cover you until the date Immigration allow you to stay.  No harm and you are covered.

I can accept you may have a different view as mine.  If you can wait, I will be going overseas in January 2022 and come back in March.  Will purchase a 30 day insurance (if nothing changes by then) and enter on a re-entry permit valid for September 2022.

and:

4) If you buy insurance for the whole time period of your extension, and you plan to go outside of Thailand and come back within that time period,  make sure you have a "multi trip" insurance for your circumstances. This one almost got me with one of the Thai insurances, would have been void when I go to Australia and come back. If the land border between Thailand and Laos is opened, you can go for a day to Laos and come back, your insurance is not valid anymore if it is Thai single trip insurance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gearbox said:

and:

4) If you buy insurance for the whole time period of your extension, and you plan to go outside of Thailand and come back within that time period,  make sure you have a "multi trip" insurance for your circumstances. This one almost got me with one of the Thai insurances, would have been void when I go to Australia and come back. If the land border between Thailand and Laos is opened, you can go for a day to Laos and come back, your insurance is not valid anymore if it is Thai single trip insurance.

You probably can get pass Thailand Pass but will have problem claiming from your insurance (travel insurance) companies.

7 minutes ago, EricTh said:

But will immigration just stamp you in for just 2 weeks instead of the duration of your extension?

Reading  the threads. Current opinion (guess) is that 30 day coverage would be ok for those on extensions. 

Anything less might require onward flight.

No reports of anyone only stamped in for insurance period when reentry permit a longer period

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Reading  the threads. Current opinion (guess) is that 30 day coverage would be ok for those on extensions. 

Anything less might require onward flight.

No reports of anyone only stamped in for insurance period when reentry permit a longer period

How much would a 30 day coverage cost?